Shellac shattering/cracking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pamper&Polish

Reaction score
Hi
Just wanted to pick your brains. Did a french shellac with negligee and cream puff for a client who was going abroad and have just been today 2 weeks later and she said she was really dissappointed with it cos it had cracked /shattered which it was only on a few nails though...she said it had done this 4 days after????
Any advice?? x

My guess is that her natural nails are too thin and bendy and the Shellac is bending with her natural nail.

This happened to me when I first wore Shellac, but after a few weeks the damage in my nails grew out (years and years of wearing enhancements took their toll on my nails) I never have this problem anymore... my nails are strong and healthy... all thanks to Shellac! :)

I would advise her to use plenty of Solar oil... it's definitely not the Shellac that is the problem, it's the condition of her nails.

Did the cracking happen whilst she was away? I have had this happen with a few clients and we put it down to either the suncreams they were using, chlorine or salt in water and the heat! These clients nails were perfect and very strong so we ruled out it being their natural nails. Having said that I totally agree with the above posters comment as I too have seen the cracking happen with other clients whose natural nails have been weaker.

I'll second what An*gel said, this happened to me too but now they are in great condition, i've even had my latest shellac French on for 4 weeks and its only the growth that makes them look bad, otherwise they are still great with no cracks. Hope this helps for this client and also future clients, you could advise them of what could happen if their nails are not in great condition when they first come to you.

Sarah x

I have never seen Shellac go brittle or crack .. if it has then your client is not using Solar Oil every day as she should be or she has got into something that has compromised the Shellac ...

fact is if a client doesn't show it to me then I am sceptical of what they telll me. I have been wearing Shellac too long and done too many people with it to not know how Shellac behaves and brittle is one thing it is not, if it is looked after!

I would say it is something she has done, she has maybe knocked those nails or something.

I have had some cracking on myself when I was pushing it to the limit just seeing how far I could go, I had been wearing the same Shellac for 5+ weeks and hadn't followed any aftercare. The cracking was where I had bent my nail on something and rather than my nail breaking as it would have with polished or bare nails I ended up with small cracks where the Shellac had taken the stress.
I wouldn't have said the Shellac was brittle and know exactly why the cracking occurred.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I would say it is something she has done, she has maybe knocked those nails or something.

I have had some cracking on myself when I was pushing it to the limit just seeing how far I could go, I had been wearing the same Shellac for 5+ weeks and hadn't followed any aftercare. The cracking was where I had bent my nail on something and rather than my nail breaking as it would have with polished or bare nails I ended up with small cracks where the Shellac had taken the stress.
I wouldn't have said the Shellac was brittle and know exactly why the cracking occurred.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App
There are 2 reasons why this can happen. Firstly its because the nails are not strong enough and are bending. This causes the shellac to crack/shatter. If u shorten the nails then this will help. The other thing it could be is that the clients nails grow inwards. What i mean by this is when some peoples nails grow longer there nails get more c-curve on them like they have been pinched in at the ends. This happens to my mum and it causes the shellac to crack. I also have a client whose nails grow down on one side. After a week the shellac starts to peel off as it cant cope with growing out round bends. Its really hard to understand whst i mean so hopefully u will all know what im talking about. Ax

I have never seen Shellac go brittle or crack .. if it has then your client is not using Solar Oil every day as she should be or she has got into something that has compromised the Shellac ..

Please could you advise what "she could get into" to compromise the shellac, bearing in mind she was on holiday and therefore not doing every day chores. Being Shellac professionals, we need to know this to advise....

I have never seen Shellac go brittle or crack .. if it has then your client is not using Solar Oil every day as she should be or she has got into something that has compromised the Shellac ..

Please could you advise what "she could get into" to compromise the shellac, bearing in mind she was on holiday and therefore not doing every day chores. Being Shellac professionals, we need to know this to advise....

It is all on the Shellac aftercare sheet which if you or anyone else would like a copy you only have to email me with your S2 customer number and your request to [email protected]

Chlorine and sun is the main culprit for bleaching Shellac or drying it out to the point of cracking ( but only if they do not use solar Oil). Solution, just dry the nails off before sunbathing.

The other culprits are insect repellents, or suntan lotions that contain insect repellents, particularly the ones that contain DEET which will even melt or affect L&P and gels. The solution is they wipe their nails after using it. Pretty simple really and with a little care by the clients none of these things need to happen at all. You are not responsible for what Clients do or don't do do .. you are only responsible if you don't warn them or tell them or give them the right aftercare advice.

Latest posts

Back