Shellac Slid off Nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urban1975

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have had a problem with a client she had Shellac and 2 days later shellc slid off her nails in a complete piece!

She has said that this has happened to her before with another gel product, I do loads of shellac and this is the first time this happened.

Anyone ever had this problem and how can I stop it doing it again?

i had this with my mum of all people. i do loads of Shellac and no one ever complains and every loves it. but as soon as i apply it to my mums nails, guaranteed within a couple of days it's started lifted and sliding off.

i've never worked out why, the only thing i think it might be is that she's picks all the time without realising it.

This may be a question for Geeg but I wonder if maybe you didnt remove the oil off the nail plate properly? Or maybe they have a very oily nail plate so it cant adhere? Havnt had a problem like this before so I'll be interested to hear other geeks opinions x

Hi I had one lady this happened 2 and I hadn't put enough base coat on to adhere properly to the nail, they just came off in one piece big lesson learnt hth. Xx

This may be a question for Geeg but I wonder if maybe you didnt remove the oil off the nail plate properly? Or maybe they have a very oily nail plate so it cant adhere? Havnt had a problem like this before so I'll be interested to hear other geeks opinions x

Well, of course, the nail plate must be oil free. I confess that in 27 years I have never seen these 'oily nail plates' that so many blame for products coming off!! lol I presume the OP knows about the nails being clean and dry before application.

Never seen a client with the problem she describes, but in our consultation we do ask about nail polish and if they are successful wearing it? ... sometimes you get a client who can just peel their polish off and no polish adheres to their nails .. I would not use Shellac on a client that told me this. Don't know why it happens but you do get the odd person who just cannot keep anything on their nails (usually they have very sweaty hands in my experience and just too much moisture in their nail plates).

If you can guarantee that you are using the whole system and the right equipment in good working order then I guess there will always be the odd exceptions to the rules. The client just has to live with it and so do we .. it's disappointing not to be able to satisfy a client, but not the technician's fault if it is a physical thing.

Some clients cannot wear gels, some cannot wear L&P some cannot wear polish and there will be some who cannot wear Shellac or Minx etc. Every single nail sliding off would be a weird and rare thing to see. I'm very glad I do not seem to get the 'problems' that seem to be cropping up on the site today!! :eek: Makes one wonder!!

Sorry to hi-jack this thread!

in our consultation we do ask about nail polish and if they are successful wearing it? ... sometimes you get a client who can just peel their polish off and no polish adheres to their nails .. I would not use Shellac on a client that told me this.

I am one of those people who can just not keep nail polish on. No matter the polish and how it's applied it's always off again within a couple of hours with no sign that it was ever even there. My Shellac arrived yesterday and as soon as I closed up the shop I unpacked it all and had to have a play. It's still on now and looking exactly as when I applied it. I know that's only a day but it's a miracle for me, and I've been washing hair all day too. I can keep you updated on how it lasts! :green:

Sorry to hi-jack this thread!

I am one of those people who can just not keep nail polish on. No matter the polish and how it's applied it's always off again within a couple of hours with no sign that it was ever even there. My Shellac arrived yesterday and as soon as I closed up the shop I unpacked it all and had to have a play. It's still on now and looking exactly as when I applied it. I know that's only a day but it's a miracle for me, and I've been washing hair all day too. I can keep you updated on how it lasts! :green:

I would initially not be inclined to use Shellac on a person who could not wear polish and I would warn them ... should really have gone on to say that if the client still wished to try it, of course, I would apply it but at the client's own risk. I'm not stupid :green: I always do what clients want, but I would explain that there would be no guarantees.

Let's hope it works well for you.

Well I love it already. It's great to know that even if it doesn't last the full 14 days for me it -can- last a day at least, so if I'm going out I can actually have pretty nails without the bother of acrylic!

Thanks everyone for your comments, I know that I did everything I needed to do and this has never happened before all my clients love shellac it has been a massive hit in the salon.

I will just put it down to one of those freak things and maybe shellac does not suit her, she did say that she had this problem before with a different product, I have offered her a full refund but she said no as she was really happy with the service and she uses me for other treatments, but I will do something for her!

I will ask more questions now in my consultatation, you live and learn.

Thanks x

Latest posts

Back