Shellac top coat - dispensing into gel pot?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky_simon

Reaction score
Hi ladies

Is it possible to dispense the last quarter or less of top coat into a new/clean/empty black gel pot?

Im struggling to get the last of my top coat out and feel its going a little goopy. If I could pour it out and stir it myself and then either apply with the top cost brush or a gel brush, I think that would help me.

Any thoughts?

What I usually do is when there is about 1/4 left I open a new bottle and use it for a bit, then basically balance the old bottle neck to neck with the new one and leave it for about 10mins. It all pours into the new bottle so there is no waste and it mixes with the new one so its not too thick. I'm sure others will say it's not the best thing to do or whaterver, but it works for me!:D

What I usually do is when there is about 1/4 left I open a new bottle and use it for a bit, then basically balance the old bottle neck to neck with the new one and leave it for about 10mins. It all pours into the new bottle so there is no waste and it mixes with the new one so its not too thick. I'm sure others will say it's not the best thing to do or whaterver, but it works for me!:D
Well I think that sounds like a good tip and less faffy. Will def be giving it a go thank you

I do the same and works fine, do it with my colours too :) plus if you put it in a gel pot I don't think you'd be able to shake it before use! xxxx

Oh this is clever!! I have a new one but refuse to open it til the old one is completely gone!! But never thought of putting it into the new one as its thicker now its coming towards the end of the bottle (if you get me) ? So it mixes well does it??

So far so good for me! There was a thread recently though about possibility of a different formula in newer shellac being talked about but I don't know how the thread ended, maybe someone else can clarify? xxxx

So far so good for me! There was a thread recently though about possibility of a different formula in newer shellac being talked about but I don't know how the thread ended, maybe someone else can clarify? xxxx
Another very good point, does anyone know?

I tend to tip the bottle when its getting towards the end so that it catches on the brush, but when its got to the point that tipping the bottle doesnt load the brush I throw it away and start another. You're right, the dregs of a bottle do go gloopy somewhat no matter how thoroughly you shake it before use, so I'd rather start afresh with a new bottle and not infect it with the gloopyness from an old bottle. I know its expensive and all that but you get so many services out of one bottle that I think you've certainly had your moneys worth by the time you get to the gloopy dregs without having to decant it into another container or bottle.

Definitely trying this! I always end up putting my bottles in their side to get the last out but this idea sounds good, I almost find new bottles too runny so this might help that a bit :) xxx

I do this as well. I also keep my top coat between my legs whilst I am doing the colour coats. It warms the product and makes it a bit runnier so its easier to apply. Just try to do it discreetly otherwise you will get some very strange looks from the client :)

You could use the last bits of top coat for your nail art or adding to glitter.

I tend to tip the bottle when its getting towards the end so that it catches on the brush, but when its got to the point that tipping the bottle doesnt load the brush I throw it away and start another. You're right, the dregs of a bottle do go gloopy somewhat no matter how thoroughly you shake it before use, so I'd rather start afresh with a new bottle and not infect it with the gloopyness from an old bottle. I know its expensive and all that but you get so many services out of one bottle that I think you've certainly had your moneys worth by the time you get to the gloopy dregs without having to decant it into another container or bottle.

Completely agree (and I do that tipping the bottle thing as well.) I like a new bottle to be exactly that.

I do this too and have done since shellac came out. Never had any issues but there are balls in some. I think my top coat now has about 8 balls in lol so pouring into a gel pot might be an idea for me then start a fresh until I get another collection of balls! Haha

When I'm getting near the bottom and the shellac brush just can't reach to pick it up, I dip a thin handled gel brush into the shellac bottle and scoop it out that way. I clean the gel brush after with d-sperse and its fine. Means you can get right to the bottom of the bottle and is especially ideal for applying over rock stars as you can clean any stray bits of glitter off the brush easily as you go so as not to contaminate the shellac.

I have put one bottle on top of the other and let the two mix, however my brush was left out for too long and went hard. When I dipped it in d-solve the brush went soft but the bristles stuck out so much I couldn't use it. Any suggestions how to get my brush back to normal and how I stop it from going hard while I mix my bottles?!

When letting the bottle sit for 10 mins or so, put the lid and brush into a dark area, I pop mine in a box so no light gets to it.

I have put one bottle on top of the other and let the two mix, however my brush was left out for too long and went hard. When I dipped it in d-solve the brush went soft but the bristles stuck out so much I couldn't use it. Any suggestions how to get my brush back to normal and how I stop it from going hard while I mix my bottles?!

Don't clean it with anything containing acetone - ruins brushes. Clean with Disperse instead.

I also drain my old top coat, but not into a new one. I drain it into the top coat I use for Rockstars and glitters. I find the slightly thicker consistency great to topcoat over my glitters, it's still getting used up too. I just like my new top coat to be new.

Latest posts

Back