Shellac top coat

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikki j

Reaction score
Mine Shellac top coat seems to have gone sticky,thicker and it's new. I seem to have to use more to get it to cover. Any ideas why or will i have to buy another one??:rolleyes:

My top coat is always thicker and it is meant to be .. but after a shake, it should not be too thick to use! If you think it is then return for a replacement. I only use the half oz bottles which last me about a month.

Thanks hun it just seems thicker then when i first had it a couple of weeks ago

Remember not to leave it open too much as it can cure in the pot if left open near a window.

Give the neck of the bottle a good clean and make sure the lid is on nice and tight.

Solvents can be released if it is left open too long and cause it to thicken... as Geeg has said a good shake is needed before application.

Use a very light touch when applying it and allow the brush to fan out and do the work.

I use my top coat to the very last drop and it's never too thick to use.

HTHs

I have just bought the larger size top coat after having the smaller one for my last 2 bottles and find it much easier to work with than the smaller size :)

I have just bought the larger size top coat after having the smaller one for my last 2 bottles and find it much easier to work with than the smaller size :)

Same!!

It was recommend to me in a Shellac class to only use the larger bottles to refill the smaller ones.

Sent from my PC36100 using SalonGeek

After 7 applications I'm finding mine has gone thick too and the brush has hardened a bit. Plus the brush keeps disconnecting from the lid. Very annoying. :(

I recently spoke to S2 about this. All 3 bottles of top coat I've had have gone thick, the last one was the worst as the brush went completely solid with cured product. S2 said it can be due to something as simple as working near a window. So from now on I'll be closing my clients curtains!

After 7 applications I'm finding mine has gone thick too and the brush has hardened a bit. Plus the brush keeps disconnecting from the lid. Very annoying. :(

This sounds very much like the product is starting to cure inside the bottle.
There are a few things that will help prevent this happening.

1. Wiping the neck of the bottle after every use to make sure you aren't getting a build up of product preventing the lid from closing properly so allowing the solvents to evaporate causing it to thicken.

2. You are working to slow so the lid is off for to long again allowing the solvents to evaporate.

3. Working close to a UV source whether this be a window or having your bottle sitting to close to your CND Shellac Lamp.

That's a few ideas to try and see if that helps :hug:
Hth's

Just a quick question to add please, when wiping the bottles, is it best to use scrubfresh or D'solve - I'm thinking D'Solve but my hormonal brain seems to be quesstioning itself quite alot these days!!!

H xx

I actually use a little Isopropyl Alcohol to clean mine or D Sperse if you have it.

Oh really damn, the top coat on the top of the brush has gone opaque so I think you're right. I did two yesterday when it was hot & I think perhaps the sun was on us at one point.

Is it salvageable do you think? X

This sounds very much like the product is starting to cure inside the bottle.
There are a few things that will help prevent this happening.

1. Wiping the neck of the bottle after every use to make sure you aren't getting a build up of product preventing the lid from closing properly so allowing the solvents to evaporate causing it to thicken.

2. You are working to slow so the lid is off for to long again allowing the solvents to evaporate.

3. Working close to a UV source whether this be a window or having your bottle sitting to close to your CND Shellac Lamp.

That's a few ideas to try and see if that helps :hug:
Hth's

Mine definitely wasn't. I called S2 and they asked me to return it to them and sent me a replacement, very good of them considering it wasn't actually a faulty product.

I use alcohol to clean my bottle necks

Sent from my PC36100 using SalonGeek

Oh really damn, the top coat on the top of the brush has gone opaque so I think you're right. I did two yesterday when it was hot & I think perhaps the sun was on us at one point.

If it has cured then sadly you will have to discard and get a new bottle.

O.K., I have only done my own nails so far, but cannot find the D-Sperse IPA Solution. Not on the Internet or at a professional store. I did locate some 91% Alcohol at a chain drugstore but some of the color is coming off of my nails on the lint-free, plastic-backed pads I use to take the sticky residue off.
What can I do? I need to use this on other's nails also!!

Please Help:cry:

O.K., I have only done my own nails so far, but cannot find the D-Sperse IPA Solution. Not on the Internet or at a professional store. I did locate some 91% Alcohol at a chain drugstore but some of the color is coming off of my nails on the lint-free, plastic-backed pads I use to take the sticky residue off.
What can I do? I need to use this on other's nails also!!

Please Help:cry:

Are you sure you covered the whole nail with the top coat?... if not, some of the colour will come off on the wipe, so it may not have been the alcohol.

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant D'sperse and obviously not D'solve - see what I mean about hormonal brain!!!!

Thanks An*gel

Sorry, I meant D'sperse and obviously not D'solve - see what I mean about hormonal brain!!!!

Thanks An*gel

No worries... I blame Hormones on EVERYTHING!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back