Shellac vs Gelish-my opinion

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurenSparkles

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I just thought I'd share my experience of shellac vs gelish. I searched on here for hours when I thought about buying into gelish along side shellac. I didn't really find anyone that had real pros & cons of either or so here is my experience for anyone that may be in the same boat.

Shellac...
Fantastic viscosity (thickness)
Everyone has heard of shellac
Flexible on weak nails
No filing/buffing
Comes off clean in 8 mins

Gelish
FANTASTIC range of colours
Rubbish viscosity (like water)
Needs 3/4 costs on some colours
Harder wearing on natural nails
Quick cure time

Iv been trained in shellac since 2010 and I love it, However I do find the colours a tad tedious for the younger crowd. For this reason I purchased the glow collection this summer (which is my fave colour collection) and have done 90% gelish & 10% shellac since July. It has bought me at least 10-15 new regular customers which is fantastic. However....do I like gelish?...no. It's so thin I really have to do 3/4 coats to get a good coverage. Even on l&p. with shellac I can get perfect colour in 2 coats every time. I do however wish shellac could be cured with led to make the process quicker. I really could of done with the shellac summer 2014 colours this year. And in my opinion they are nearly identical to the gelish glow collection. What has taken cnd so long to give us a wider range of colours without the need of additives is beyond me! There aren't any customers that have asked for gelish by name and nearly everyone asks what it is. I really love that gelish can be cured in 35 seconds too. Wowee that's speedy!!

However if you are thinking of buying into gelish along side shellac and are in two minds, this might help you out xxx

I bought 14 gelish colours last month and I've never been busier! But I do still need my shellac! I love it! But more importantly there are loyal clients that just won't swap! I'm not prepared to force the gelish either! I do find that those that were struggling with shellac wear have been successful keeping gelish on longer.

I do find I need a good 3 coats for some gelish colours but I do also find this with certain shellac colours too!

I really think it depends on your area and clientele! For me I'm now catering for everyone x

Hi geeks,

I just thought I'd share my experience of shellac vs gelish. I searched on here for hours when I thought about buying into gelish along side shellac. I didn't really find anyone that had real pros & cons of either or so here is my experience for anyone that may be in the same boat.

Shellac...
Fantastic viscosity (thickness)
Everyone has heard of shellac
Flexible on weak nails
No filing/buffing
Comes off clean in 8 mins

Gelish
FANTASTIC range of colours
Rubbish viscosity (like water)
Needs 3/4 costs on some colours
Harder wearing on natural nails
Quick cure time

Iv been trained in shellac since 2010 and I love it, However I do find the colours a tad tedious for the younger crowd. For this reason I purchased the glow collection this summer (which is my fave colour collection) and have done 90% gelish & 10% shellac since July. It has bought me at least 10-15 new regular customers which is fantastic. However....do I like gelish?...no. It's so thin I really have to do 3/4 coats to get a good coverage. Even on l&p. with shellac I can get perfect colour in 2 coats every time. I do however wish shellac could be cured with led to make the process quicker. I really could of done with the shellac summer 2014 colours this year. And in my opinion they are nearly identical to the gelish glow collection. What has taken cnd so long to give us a wider range of colours without the need of additives is beyond me! There aren't any customers that have asked for gelish by name and nearly everyone asks what it is. I really love that gelish can be cured in 35 seconds too. Wowee that's speedy!!

However if you are thinking of buying into gelish along side shellac and are in two minds, this might help you out xxx

The glow collection is particularly thin Lauren it has to be said! Some shellac colours definitely need more than two coats as well. whichever system it can be frustrating how the colours are inconsistent in application! Looks like you will be a happy lady when the CND lamp arrives then, the 18g is beautiful though don't you think ❤

Unfortunately I'm finding (as others are also) that Shellac's viscosity is thinner now than it used to be. I have found Grape Gum and Lobster Roll to be on the thin side and have to use 3 to 4 coats of this.

I love Shellac's easier removal than Gelish but I've also found that Shellac does go more gloopy/thicker in the bottle than Gelish/ACG.

Thankfully I have clients who love both systems and I'm glad that I offer both too, not every client suits every system so it's good to give other options. :biggrin:

I haven't tried gelish but I have gellux and that is great.
It's the whole thing that shellac is actually a different ingredient and technically better for the nail, where the gel ones may contain acrylic so can be more damaging.
I'd just get both brands and have variety for everyone. Maybe pick which u like the best and that's the make you buy more of or something? Xx

Thank you for the comparison as at one stage I was thinking about offering Gelish due to colour range, glad I didn't now :)

I agree that the colours for next year would be wonderful to have this year (especially right now for me because Australia its spring, so practically summer!) and by the time we get the new colours it will be our winter time again :( but I refuse to buy another brand now, not only I can't afford it at the moment - saving for all the new CND products coming soon :) , but I just spent a small fortune on neon pigments and glitters that I can use with shellac to make my own brighter colours if I need to :)

as for quick curing time, I can't paint the clients other hand in 35 seconds but kudos to those who can ! but it would be handy for repairs or when I do my own hand, one hand at a time, taking forever but worth the wait :) I will go and day dream now about the CND LED lamp coming soon :p

#TeamCND :Love:

I've posted comparisons a few times now....I use both systems and have 50 colours in each.

I agree with most of your review but I don't agree that Gelish has rubbish viscosity. The Glow collection is thinner than most others and if that is what you are basing your opinion on then it will affect your view slightly - although I find 3 coats is ample, I don't use 4.

Some Shellac colours are too thick in my opinion (Fedora for example) and some are thinner than the Gelish Glow collection (Grape Gum, Hotski and Limeade for example). Overall the consistency of both systems is comparable.

I prefer working with Gelish as it stays the same from the first application right through to the last and I prefer the top and base coats.

I much prefer the Gelish colour range. Shellac is gradually catching up though....

I MUCH prefer Shellac's removal time. It's a breeze!

Both are equally infamous in my areas and get asked for by name.

I prefer Shellac's marketing and imagery for my salon. Gelish marketing can sometimes look dated I think! Lol!

And customer service wise they are both good. I get wrong orders from S2 occasionally but they are such a lovely bunch. The girls at Harmony are great too though....nothing in it.

I love both and think they each have a place. I couldn't choose between them I don't think....luckily I don't have too x

If I could have shellac base coat, gelish colours with shellac viscosity, 35 second cure like gelish, gelish topcoat & solar oil...perfect xx

This is very helpful, I currently only offer gel extensions and am looking to add either shellac or gelish. I was more swayed towards gelish because I prefer the colour range but now I am not so sure......I only want to invest in one as cant afford to buy both systems.
Does anyone know if I need to attend the gelish/shellac course to be insured or would I be covered as I do gel extensions anyway?
Thanks x

I use both VERY successfully in my salon. Both get asked for by name and I find the removal for both fairly quick n simple.
Perhaps I am lucky to have availability of both but I really don't feel there has to be competition between which is better than the other! Some colours I prefer in one range, some colours I find neither here nor there and won't b purchasing again (that's colours from both manufacturers) I have over 150 colours and infinitely more with the option to layer the colours.
Love both and will continue to use both.

I use both VERY successfully in my salon. Both get asked for by name and I find the removal for both fairly quick n simple.
Perhaps I am lucky to have availability of both but I really don't feel there has to be competition between which is better than the other! Some colours I prefer in one range, some colours I find neither here nor there and won't b purchasing again (that's colours from both manufacturers) I have over 150 colours and infinitely more with the option to layer the colours.
Love both and will continue to use both.

That's what I love best about Gelish- users don't need to compete against shellac, just be proud in the choices you make not why you don't use the other ❤ I would offer both I think it's almost like offering gel and acrylic some people suit one system better, but I can't possibly keep up with both colour ranges lol

Thanks for this thread, as I've often thought about buying into Gelish as I'm a Shellac kinda gal. And like you have mentioned, it would be nice to have those nice bright colours without the use of Additives...however I think I'm just going to hold out until Spring for the new colours.

I've often thought about ACG too...I love the colours. But I'm not sure I'm prepared to buy a whole new range.

I'm always banging on about how great Shellac is, that my clients might think that I'm almost contradicting myself if I bought into another brand.

Latest posts

Back