Shells on Fibreglass???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

talented talons

Master Artist
Reaction score
I'm starting to have a play about with my fibreglass but was wondering if it was at all possible to use a sprinkling of shells or glitter to the tip when doing fibreglass?

I thought as long as you keep it thin it might be possible. But would you do it under or on top of the fibreglass??

I'm sure you will know Ruth. the Fabric# Queen, what doyou think matey??
Or am i just leaping ahead here?

Love any opinions on this, or ideas on how to do this, thanks fellow Geeks.:lol:

Hope you dont mind a reply from me on this one as I am sure ruth is at work!!

Shells I would think would be rather difficult to sink under resin without the end result looking too thick. However you could do some 3-d nail art with shells if your client is agreeable, in which case just do your design on top of the enhancement and maybe (if your surface is really smooth first) go over with a final thin layer of resin.

To use Glitter, Apply your base coat and fibre plus additional coats to make your fibre disappear ... smooth off with a fine buffer and then you can paint the resin on the tip making a beautiful smile line, and dip or 'touch' as glynnis says, the glitter to coat the free edge. Then use several coats of resin to 'bury' the glitter before finishing off.

Using a three-part system like Fabric# does make nail art like these techniques much easier because you do not need to use so many coats of resin to get the job done, nor do you need to shine the nail up again with a buffer because the BOOST is so shiney by itself. JMO

Thanks Geeg, didn't mean to make it an exclusive to Ruth thread:D, i appreciatte your input.

It makes sense really that it may be difficult to incorporate shells into fibreglass, but i will definately give it ago and see what happens. I will try to put a pic on here when i've done it to show you the results. Love the idea of the glitter will definately give that ago, i wondered if the dipping or touch idea would work so i'm glad you have mentioned that.

Thanks for that.

geeg said:
Hope you dont mind a reply from me on this one as I am sure ruth is at work!!

Shells I would think would be rather difficult to sink under resin without the end result looking too thick. However you could do some 3-d nail art with shells if your client is agreeable, in which case just do your design on top of the enhancement and maybe (if your surface is really smooth first) go over with a final thin layer of resin.

To use Glitter, Apply your base coat and fibre plus additional coats to make your fibre disappear ... smooth off with a fine buffer and then you can paint the resin on the tip making a beautiful smile line, and dip or 'touch' as glynnis says, the glitter to coat the free edge. Then use several coats of resin to 'bury' the glitter before finishing off.

Using a three-part system like Fabric# does make nail art like these techniques much easier because you do not need to use so many coats of resin to get the job done, nor do you need to shine the nail up again with a buffer because the BOOST is so shiney by itself. JMO
LOL got the day off for good behaviour ..............Well the ironing needs doing, and my carefully collected dust needs sorting lol....................

How thick are the shells????? if they are very fine slithers then maybe it could work...as in crushed shell ?????.....................
But in any case anything bulky buried under the Boost will make it thicker and in order to even it all out, will make the whole nail seem thicker.................
Why not try it and then share the results with us.........!!!!!!
But I am with Geeg on this.................... might make it thick and clumpy looking..............
But 3D now that could look brill...

Hi Ruth,

Yes they are the crushed shells from NSI, so they are fine slithers. I will give it ago, and also wondered if, like Geeg said with the glitter, maybe i could dip or touch the nail tip into the shells once applied brush on resin to get smile line. (after doing all the resin and fibre to the nail first.)

I will start playing and take a piccie of the results so you can all tell me what you think. I can only have a go. It would be interesting how it looks as i know the Fibreglass nails are nice and thin.

Just wanted to add for any sceptics about Fibreglass out there. I have to say i've been converted to Fibreglass. (Thanks to Carole.) I was always led to believe that they weren't as strong as other systems, but the other day opening my car door, my nail got caught under the handle and i wrenched it away.....OUCH! I didn't want to look as it hurt so i thought that's gonna be broken. Low and behold my nail was FINE, no marks or cracks it had obviously been flexible enough to give so no harm done, had i still had my acrylic on i know from past experience that it would definately have broken or cracked.

So i am a Fibreglass Freak now hence all the playing with it i plan on doing. Its great stuff.

Just my thoughts.:)

Hey all i've done one on my practise hand with the shells and the glitter, if i can work out how i will put a piccie of it on here.

I had done the nail with fibreglass and resin as you would normally, then after buffing i then used the brush on resin to get my smle line, don't use too much or you will pick up too many shells and make the tip bulky.

Then you "touch" the tip onto the shells and tap the nail over a tissue to get rid of excess. move any bits that make your smile line untidy, then do two to three coats of bottle resin to seal it, activating in between. You will notice it feels awfully bumpy when you've done this but as long as the shell layer is thin, when you buff it to smooth it you won't touch the shells at all. I thought i was going to end up with shells being buffed out but it worked better than i thought.

I will try and put the piccies on here to show you, see what you think.:biggrin:

I'll put them on the next post.

hink i've worked it out, so here is my piccie of my faithful practise hand called Hettie, wearing fibreglass with silver glitter on one finger and purple crushed shells on the other.

smile lines not brilliant but its my first attempt at this.

Let me know what you think:|

Perhaps not, will ask Carole if she will put it on for me, sorry fellow geeks.:o

talented talons said:
Perhaps not, will ask Carole if she will put it on for me, sorry fellow geeks.:o
Slight technical hitch for Wendy - instructions have been given and hopefully the piccies will be here shortly - bless ya hunny!

try again, but its not been working
1915small_hettie_glitter.jpg

at last!!

Here it is

Well done hunny!!!

It works brill................. Hat off to you for giving something new a go !!!
Nice shade of purple, I love purple xxxx

Thanks Ruth, they are by no means perfect but will keep practising then when i get confident will do a full set on myself then post a pic again.

I think this would work better with the wrap geland cool blue version of fibreglass which i haven't used, as you will probably need to build abit with it to incorporate the shells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back