Shocked at Shellac method in nail bar?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommo

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I recently applied for a job in a nail bar in a well known department store. I went for a trial today. It's to do manicures and shellac. I am trained in OPI Gelcolor but they knew this and said they would give me adequate training if I were successful, if need be. I assumed this meant that if the Shellac method was slightly different than the OPI Gelcolor method, they would maybe send me on a Shellac course through CND?

Anyway, so I do a trial today and the 18 year old girl that works there is doing my trial. Nothing against the age, but she is fresh out of college, hasn't done a Shellac course, but has been 'trained' by head office.

I tell her that I am capable of performing a shellac manicure, but she may have to tell me if there are any small differences etc as I do not know the order/products that CND use. (I do, as I've read it all on here! But I wanted to learn as much as I could)

I was shocked though at how different she did it and although I'm not Shellac trained, I really think this isn't the way to do it!

For gelcolor we:-

Dry prep (remove cuticle with, file, cleanse nail plate
Apply a PH Bonder
Apply base coat - cure
Apply colour coats (2/3) cure I between each one
Apply top coat - cure
Remove top tacky layer
Apply oil to nail and surrounding skin

So, I assumed shellac would not be much different to this? She told me -
File nail
Push 'cuticles back' (I had to explain what cuticle is and what your eponychium is)
Buff the nail 'to remove any oil' (!!!!!!)
Apply base coat-cure
Wipe tacky layer
Apply colour coat - cure
Apply second colour coat - cure
Wipe tacky layer??
Apply top coat then wipe tacky layer

Id be stupid to ask if I'm wrong in thinking this is not how a shellac manicure is to be performed?
It makes me not want the job!

You're correct... those procedures are not right.

1) PEP (remove cuticle, file nail into shape, cleanse nail with scrubfresh)
2) base coat, cure for 10 secs
3) colour coat, cure for 2 mins
4) colour coat, cure for 2 mins
5) top coat, cure for 2 mins
6) wipe tacky layer
7) solar oil

You never buff. And why is she over complicating things by wiping the tacky layer between coats? Very odd.

It would put me right off the job I must say!

xx

And the girl said she tells people it lasts 4-6 weeks when I mentioned telling them is lasts 2 weeks. X

You're correct... those procedures are not right.

1) PEP (remove cuticle, file nail into shape, cleanse nail with scrubfresh)
2) base coat, cure for 10 secs
3) colour coat, cure for 2 mins
4) colour coat, cure for 2 mins
5) top coat, cure for 2 mins
6) wipe tacky layer
7) solar oil

xx

Thank you, this is exactly what I thought it would be. I have read on here enough and I know I'm not shellac trained but I use the exact same method with the gelcolor except I use Opi products!
I don't want to do a treatment wrong! But I don't want to lose the job x

I'm not at all shocked i booked in for a Shellac french and not one single Shellac product was used - oh it was a Cnd lamp!

I'm so disappointed! Was getting excited to be using all the CND products and explore another brand of nails, especially as it is so well known in the industry. All products were salon services, which I know is fine maybe when you're buying acetone, polish remover, lint free pads etc maybe. But no solar oil, no scrub fresh, etc nothing.

And the lamp isn't CND either :(

I'm so disappointed! Was getting excited to be using all the CND products and explore another brand of nails, especially as it is so well known in the industry. All products were salon services, which I know is fine maybe when you're buying acetone, polish remover, lint free pads etc maybe. But no solar oil, no scrub fresh, etc nothing.

And the lamp isn't CND either :(

I would not touch it with a barge pole unless they agree to let you use all CND protocols and equipment.

You do have a voice in this arrangement .. you can ask for what you want .. if they do not agree then hit the highway, but they might just respect that stand and say .. OK and give you what you want. After all they do want to be successful with the service.

I would not touch it with a barge pole unless they agree to let you use all CND protocols and equipment.

You do have a voice in this arrangement .. you can ask for what you want .. if they do not agree then hit the highway, but they might just respect that stand and say .. OK and give you what you want. After all they do want to be successful with the service.

Thanks for your reply Geeg. I'm definitely going to say something. I'm genuinely just disappointed and a little embarrassed if I'm honest. I mean, what would I say if someone came to me to get their nails done and they knew the right way of doing it?

Are they actually allowed to perform the treatment this way?

Thanks for your reply Geeg. I'm definitely going to say something. I'm genuinely just disappointed and a little embarrassed if I'm honest. I mean, what would I say if someone came to me to get their nails done and they knew the right way of doing it?

Are they actually allowed to perform the treatment this way?

Well who is going to stop them? They would certainly not pass an assessment to become a CND Shellac certified salon ... and this is coming geeks.

Well who is going to stop them? They would certainly not pass an assessment to become a CND Shellac certified salon ... and this is coming geeks.

Good, I'm so glad. Even though I don't use CND I think this will be great for the industry. I have so many clients come to me to have their so called "Shellac" removed, which I know isn't even Shellac!

Sorry if I'm being dumb but how do they 'remove the tacky layer' inbetween coats? If they used DSperse or alcohol based product wouldn't it removed the polish/colour?

That's great to hear. It's really frustrating watching this be done. I know I'm not shellac trained, but I still feel my training was adequate and taught me exactly what I need to know. They had no knowledge of the science behind the nail, why we use certain products, nothing.

Sorry if I'm being dumb but how do they 'remove the tacky layer' inbetween coats? If they used DSperse or alcohol based product wouldn't it removed the polish/colour?

It would only remove he inhibition layer, but along with that, would of course be some of the colour ... absolutely stupid, wasteful and un-necessary. It just shows they know nothing of the chemistry of the product.

Good, I'm so glad. Even though I don't use CND I think this will be great for the industry. I have so many clients come to me to have their so called "Shellac" removed, which I know isn't even Shellac!

I agree. I've not yet seen Shellac that hasn't been shellac but even so, what's the point in using the real thing if you're not going to apply it properly!

Saying that, I remember something else now! They only have a few colours and I mentioned that it obviously costs a few pennies building up a bit collection of polishes etc, just making general chit chat. I was just chatting about how much my Gelcolor costs etc and she said "Shellac is only £xx" which I know isn't true. I said "is that before VAT maybe" she said "no, it depends where you get it from, some places it's loads cheaper"

God help me!

when it does come will mobile geeks be able to be CND Shellac certified?

edited: mobile geeks??? :lol: mobile techs***

It would only remove he inhibition layer, but along with that, would of course be some of the colour ... absolutely stupid, wasteful and un-necessary. It just shows they know nothing of the chemistry of the product.

Geeg, I'm going to do my own thing, I now know the Shellac process which is exactly what I thought it was anyway after researching on here, and I will be doing it the correct way. I will also be mentioning that the correct CND products need to be used.

Hiya,

I'm mobile and I am CND Certified Shellac Provider. Creative Academy in Dublin rolled the programme out a while ago and its been great, listed on the Shellac.ie site and great support as always. It's been very positive for me with clients.

Geeg, this is very interesting! My old salon dont use scrub fresh or the cnd lamp so they won't pass! Which is one of the reasons I left! Very interesting!!

Yeah I was wondering the same as I am mobile but have done CND Shellac training.... so hopefully they won't forget us!

Yeah I was wondering the same as I am mobile but have done CND Shellac training.... so hopefully they won't forget us!

Would we?? :green:

Mobile businesses can also be Shellac certified with the same criteria ... which is only if using ALL the Shellac products and protocols and equipment and with proof of purchase of same and from a legal source. No point in doing it any other way is there?

Latest posts

Back