Should I do spray tanning if I'm Afro Carribean?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fast

Reaction score
i am extending my salon and wont to add tanning so i wont to learn spray tanning but my partner thinks people prefer to see a tan on people wo are doing it...which understand...

so i dont wont to learn if it will stop me getting clients as i really liked the idea...

Hi Hun,
Of course you should still do the tanning, not all therapists wear a tan when they do tanning, some find it very difficult to get someone to spray them. I had to teach hubby to tan me.
You see plenty of nail techs with out nails, if they are very busy and work alone, they don't have the time to do there own nails or go to another salon to get them done.
Ask the clients you already have if they would be interested in spray tans, I think you will be surprised how many would like them.
Best wishes.
Lotsa luv x :hug: x

Don't let the colour of your skin stop you .

The thing to focus on is that is there a possible demand in your area or not for this service.

Have a look about and see if any other salons in your area are offering this service.

Oh and just as a foot note many dark skinned individuals also have spray tans :hug:

Good luck

Go for it. Besides, you see plenty of bald hairdressers.

It's the service you offer that's important. xxx

Not spray-tanning, but linked enough to be on topic :)

I'm mixed race, & I used to manage a very small tanning salon years ago,
& tbh, you might have to put up with innocent, but fairly annoying comments,
people would always say something like "oh, well of course you dont need to use a sunbed, but..."
or people would assume that as i'm dark skinned I must know less about tanning than someone paler.

I'd still say go for it though,
you'll only know if you try, & it could be a fantastic idea.
:hug:

Not spray-tanning, but linked enough to be on topic :)

I'm mixed race, & I used to manage a very small tanning salon years ago,
& tbh, you might have to put up with innocent, but fairly annoying comments,
people would always say something like "oh, well of course you dont need to use a sunbed, but..."
or people would assume that as i'm dark skinned I must know less about tanning than someone paler.

I'd still say go for it though,
you'll only know if you try, & it could be a fantastic idea.
:hug:

My neighbour some years back was from Grenada and very very dark...yet she would still jet off to the sunshine for two weeks and rush round to our house when she got back to show off her darker tan.:hug:

I dont blame her, Collin, its flippin' cold here :)

I just used to hop on the sunbeds at every sensible opportunity :green: :hug:

When I first started spray tanning (about 7 years ago now!), I was trained by a black lady. Never bothered me so dont see why it should bother anyone else. Go for it, its not much outlay compared to other services, so should be quite easy to make a profit if you market it properly.

thanks... ive get very paranoid sometimes
and just abit nervous about my training as its in a group and we have to spray each other etc...

I have to be honest I found the thought of training in a group so daunting because of my hangs ups I have with my body, so for that very reason I chose to train 121. Now I am spray tanning most of my clients don't look much different to me and almost every person passes a comment and needs reasuring that they are just fine the way they are - I have yet to met anyone who has stood their naked (or near enough) for the first time and has bags of confidence. Just try to get the most out of your training for you and rest assured I bet everyone else is feeling the same really.

Good luck. x

and i asked my trainer how they will tan me as it wont show. she said it doesnt matter but it is really worrying me:cry:

Hi
go for it hun,i do nails but dont wear them and still get clients theres no reason why you shouldnt hun.You go for it and good luck.x

Hi,

I think you should go for it. I also had the same issue 2 months back when I had to re consider my decision in taking the spray tanning course as I am black African and I thought how would they know if they have done a good spray tan on me? I discussed this with the tutor---and she said the colour of my skin didn't matter but I wasn't too sure so I dropped out.
I'm re considering going back for the training at the moment as I've got some clients wanting the service even though we have a sun bed in the salon already. Wish me luckkkkkk. I'll keep you posted.:)

and i asked my trainer how they will tan me as it wont show. she said it doesnt matter but it is really worrying me:cry:

Awwww bless you... :hug:

but you have brought up a really interesting thread as I am sure a few of us Geeks had not given this a thought....and to be honest why would we?
I think more importantly whatever race/colour you are....whether you are tanned or as white as a sheet....it boils down to whether you are good at your job.

So long as your clients are happy with the work you do then that's all that matters....and if someone can't see further than the colour of your skin...or whether you are wearing the product or not....then they are not clients worth having!

Listen to your tutor, whether the tan shows on you or not isn't the big issue...there is so much more to it than that....so enjoy your course, hold your head up high and get out there with a great business....

The very best of luck with your future career....XXXXxxxxxxx :hug:

Hi Hun,
I know I have already had a say, but you really should go for your tan training, reading this thread again made me think of someone on my make up course, we were told no models needed you work on each other.
OK no probs.........until one student turned up, Oriental guy, yes a man.
Bless him he got on with it, and he was partnered with one of the other girls, he wore many different looks that afternoon. He did decide it was best to remove his make up before going home.
So if he can do it so can you........he was really a good sport. Bless him.
Lotsa luv x :hug: :hug: x

Hi Hun,
I know I have already had a say, but you really should go for your tan training, reading this thread again made me think of someone on my make up course, we were told no models needed you work on each other.
OK no probs.........until one student turned up, Oriental guy, yes a man.
Bless him he got on with it, and he was partnered with one of the other girls, he wore many different looks that afternoon. He did decide it was best to remove his make up before going home.
So if he can do it so can you........he was really a good sport. Bless him.
Lotsa luv x :hug: :hug: x

blokes always look so good in make-up though...one of life's mysteries.... :lol:

blokes always look so good in make-up though...one of life's mysteries.... :lol:
Not this tme............He looked awful.......he looked like a drag queen gone wrong. :lol:
The girl he was working with wanted to try dramatic looks, bright colours etc........He said he didn't mind. It was not a good look, whichever shade he was wearing :hug:. x

With regard to "advertising your services" so to speak!...

Perhaps you could spray some folk for free in exchange for them posing for some promo shots? You could take "before and afters" and use them in your promotional literature and display them in your salon?
If there's a university or college near you I bet there are loads of students who would happily model for you.
That way you can show examples of your fab work!

Latest posts

Back