Shrinking smile lines with cream puff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fee01

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I previously used dashing divas with Shellac to do my French manicure look however I decided to offer cream puff and get busy doing those smile lines. I am quite confident doing them as I have been using Bio Sculpture for a while now and these always look great.

I did my first set last week and once I applied one smile line and moved onto the next nail, the first one I did appeared to shrink and go wobbily. I touched up and the second one I did, did the same. This happened with every one. I managed ok with the second coat but they were far from perfect.

The application was nice and thin just like I was trained. The only thing I can think it could be was that my lady didn't want any pink so I opted to do the White directly onto the base coat. Could this be where I went wrong?

Please help as it's really knocked my confidence. Thanks in advance x

they are shrinking because you are not being meticulous enough with the base coat. Although its clear you have to cover the entire nail inc the free edge. If you put a colour over a less than perfect base the colour will shrink to where the base has been applied to x

also try Clearly Pink for clients that dont want 'pink' pink, and apply cream puff on top x

I have also had shrinkage of colours and worked out it was my base coat not covering the whole nail. I think cream puff would be fine over a base coat as it's a colour like the others

When I do my Cream Puff smile lines I do 2 nails and cure for 10 secs, 2 nails and cure for 10 secs then the thumb and cure for 2 mins. Works every time - the 10 secs 'lock' the white in place. Yet another piece of wonderful advice I got from on here, hth's x

When I do my Cream Puff smile lines I do 2 nails and cure for 10 secs, 2 nails and cure for 10 secs then the thumb and cure for 2 mins. Works every time - the 10 secs 'lock' the white in place. Yet another piece of wonderful advice I got from on here, hth's x

I'm sure I was told in my training not to do this?

I use cream puff directly on my base coat with no problems. ood to know you can have problems if you don't apply base coat thoroughly though. I'll keep that in mind for future.

Brilliant, thanks so much.

It wasn't shrinking away from the free edge (although I've had that happen before and now I know why x) the actual smile line itself started to go wobbly. It was as if it was thinning and breaking up. It was so annoying as I had it perfect each time. Maybe the 'flash' idea will help.

Are you using the CND light and are your bulbs still all lighting up and have enough hours left on them?

also make sure your shaking your Shellac for 30 secs before application! sound like you could do with going on the Shellac training!

if you are touching up your smile lines after applying Cream puff it is best to apply another colour first (my personal favorite if Beau) as when you are detailing your smiles lines you will be removing the VERY important Base coat :) x

Are you using the CND light and are your bulbs still all lighting up and have enough hours left on them?

Yes and yes. I checked the bulbs just before I started and checked the hours on Wednesday. Thanks for your ideas though.

also make sure your shaking your Shellac for 30 secs before application! sound like you could do with going on the Shellac training!

if you are touching up your smile lines after applying Cream puff it is best to apply another colour first (my personal favorite if Beau) as when you are detailing your smiles lines you will be removing the VERY important Base coat :) x

I did do the Shellac Attack training but I had a wee break to have my second baby. I think I might have forgotten some of it. I thought I had shaken the bottle enough but maybe I didn't. I have another French booked for tonight so will give it a better shake.
Thanks for your advice.

I'm sure I was told in my training not to do this?

I use cream puff directly on my base coat with no problems. ood to know you can have problems if you don't apply base coat thoroughly though. I'll keep that in mind for future.

Were you told why you shouldn't flash cure/lock for 10 secs?

I was told you should always put a colour coat inbetween the base and white so if you have to tidy the white it won't compromise the base coat x

Nope. Wasn't given a reason. I could have misunderstood. Maybe she said there was no need to do it or something. x

Latest posts

Back