Silk nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisole

Reaction score
Hello all!
Recently i bought silk for nails, its not pre-cut wraps its just a long piece of silk, and a bottle of resign for it, when i was doing my training we used resign then put the silk patch that we had cut on the nail and then used an activator, well the lady i got the silk from told me i dont need to use an activator only resign and then silk, the brand of the silk- resign is clarissa nails, is it posible that i dont need an activator or was the lady just not informed well?

I don't know that particular brand, but every other silk/fibreglass system that I have tried (and I think I've tried most) you:

1) apply resin to the natural nail
2) activate
3) apply the silk or fibreglass
4) apply resin wait a few seconds, apply another coat of resin
5) activate

I suppose all resin would eventually air dry without activator, but it would take ages.

The resin would take forever to dry without the activator. I've never heard of a system which doesn't cure the silk and resin with an activator. Very strange.

To be honest i tried and it didnt take too long to dry or at least it looked dry, i think i ll better contact the company that makes it and ask, there are instructions in the package but they are not in english >.<

Well I was taught to apply silk, resin, resin and activate, resin and activate again. It's so fiddly but I love the strength it gives :) x

I don't really think wraps are more fiddly than any other system, just a different kind of fiddly :lol: They can look absolutely beautiful and make the most perfect repairs for natural nails, but there are limitations to the system and they are these:

Resin wraps do not stand the test of time for clients. IOW they do not last as long even with regular maintenance as other systems.

They are not colour stable.

Re-dos are much more frequent for the client so more expensive to maintain.

Wraps are not as strong as L&P and hard gels but that is fine as they are strong enough for many, but you have to know your client and the sort of pressures she is going to put upon them.

Resin systems come with an activator to speed up the drying process. You do not need to use activator for every coat of resin, but to be practical you do need to use it ... Unless someone has come up with something new?

Haha yes I totally agree that it's a different kind of fiddly! I don't do minx though so would probably find it easier if I did x

Haha yes I totally agree that it's a different kind of fiddly! I don't do minx though so would probably find it easier if I did x

It just takes practise and good technique and what seemed fiddly turns out not to be!

I was doing wraps 25 years before Minx came onto the scene so doing Minx didn't help me out. lol. Years of Doing wraps well first did, however help me to be a better Minxer. I initially apply Minx to the surface of the nail very much in the same manner as I learned to apply silk and fibre.

Hey! I defanitly agree about the activator. Safe just to give the resin a spray.

I can honestly say in 4 years I'v only done fiberglass twice. I'v never really had anyone ask for it.

I don't really think wraps are more fiddly than any other system, just a different kind of fiddly :lol: They can look absolutely beautiful and make the most perfect repairs for natural nails, but there are limitations to the system and they are these:

Resin wraps do not stand the test of time for clients. IOW they do not last as long even with regular maintenance as other systems.

They are not colour stable.

Re-dos are much more frequent for the client so more expensive to maintain.

Wraps are not as strong as L&P and hard gels but that is fine as they are strong enough for many, but you have to know your client and the sort of pressures she is going to put upon them.

Resin systems come with an activator to speed up the drying process. You do not need to use activator for every coat of resin, but to be practical you do need to use it ... Unless someone has come up with something new?

I have to disagree slightly. Ive been doing silk nails for 10 years now and find a number if clients go 3-5 weeks until maintenance and find 90% of clients get on better with silk than l&p. Those that dont last as long usually still go 2 weeks and we have clients from all walks of life doing all sorts of jobs.
Ive always activated resin with either a spray or a brush on activator but find the spray more practical xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I have to disagree slightly. Ive been doing silk nails for 10 years now and find a number if clients go 3-5 weeks until maintenance and find 90% of clients get on better with silk than l&p. Those that dont last as long usually still go 2 weeks and we have clients from all walks of life doing all sorts of jobs.
Ive always activated resin with either a spray or a brush on activator but find the spray more practical xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I don't mind anyone disagreeing (contrary to some who may think differently) but you are obviously a dedicated wrap user and I use all systems and have done for 25 years and as a distributor and nail technician my findings are different.

While I agree clients can go for weeks with wraps that's what not what I meant about standing the test of time ... Clients can not wear wraps for months and months at a time and have them still look like a brand new set ... which you can achieve with the system I use in both hard gel and L&P. Wraps discolour, and show marks of age and generally break down over a period of time; new sets need to be applied more often. etc.

I know about wrap systems as I designed my own (called Fabric) which was an utterly gorgeous system that won in competition many times. Unfortunately EC laws changed etc and one or two components had to change (long story) and the system is no longer around. But here is an image I did using the system which is nice.

picture.php

and one more ...

picture.php

As to L&P, I think the fact that after 35 years it is still so popular as a salon service and wraps are the least popular shows quite graphically that L&P lasts well for the majority of clients in the world today. If Wraps lasted longer for 90% of clients as you say, then 90% of clients would be demanding it and using it and they are not. There are many successful wrap users, but their clientele does tend to be a different one from those who need L&P or hard gels.

If one personally becomes well-known for a particular service because they are good at it then they are going to get asked for it and do it the majority of the time.

Last edited:
I agree, everyone is entitled to their own opinion :) I have infact tried your range Geeg many years ago and did like it. In saying 90% of clients have silk, I think areas differ. The majority of my clients also have hand painted nail art and I know a lot of techs get no call for this. Maybe it's because we are so known for our silk nails that we do so many I don't know tbh, we no longer advertise as we are always booked up simply through word of mouthso mus be doing something right x

Latest posts

Back