Skin Care Regime - totally dont have a clue

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netreg

Reaction score
I wondered if a 'skin geek' could help out a 'nail geek'

Ladies, I am now approaching my mid 30's and must admit that until now I put make up over moisturiser and then take it off with a wipe just before bed time.

I work with a lot of young girls in their early 20's and am feeling the age gap.

Its time I started taking better care of my skin, but really am not sure what is the right way of doing things.

Do I just use toner, cleanser and moisturiser? Do I need to exfoliate? and in what order and how often should I do this?

Have I missed anything?

Your recommendation of a good product would be appreciated too. I have been told not to use clinique as this is quite harsh on the skin.

Many thanks

Hi there, you should exfoliate 3x a week and cleanse, tone and moisturise x2 a day this will help keep your skin in tip top condition...i would try to book yourself in for a facial and go from there- this will help kick start your routine and maybe they will have some products that you can buy. I have used alot in the past but it really depends on your skin type...what are you looking for ? anti-age...etc and how is your skin- shiney/combination/dry etc....

I wondered if a 'skin geek' could help out a 'nail geek'

Ladies, I am now approaching my mid 30's and must admit that until now I put make up over moisturiser and then take it off with a wipe just before bed time.

I work with a lot of young girls in their early 20's and am feeling the age gap.

Its time I started taking better care of my skin, but really am not sure what is the right way of doing things.

Do I just use toner, cleanser and moisturiser? Do I need to exfoliate? and in what order and how often should I do this?

Have I missed anything?

Your recommendation of a good product would be appreciated too. I have been told not to use clinique as this is quite harsh on the skin.

Many thanks
Hi you should be cleansing,exfoliating toning then moisturising,usually in that order but not always,depends on the product.I would suggest you only exfoliate 3 times a week.

You should be cleansing,toning and moisturising twice a day.

I would suggest going to a beauty salon and having a skin analysis so they can decide what products are best for your skin type.

There are loads of fantastic products out there and each of us have our favourites.If you need brand names ect there are lots of us that will happily recommend our own.HTHxx

The best thing you can add to your skin care routeen is spf factor 30 on top of your moisturiser and under your make up.

I recommend Simple Face Protector Hydrolotion. It protects against premature aging as it contains nautral antioxidants. It has UVA protection (aging sun rays) and UVB protection (burning rays). It also has vitamin A and pro-vit B5 to hydrate the skin (if you have an oiler skin there is no need to also use a moisturiser!)

My mum is in her 50's and has noticed a dramatic improvement in fine lines and skin texture since I recommended she use this especially around her eyes and upper lip :)

Prevention is better than cure that is why sun protection is so important but sun protection also alows the skin to repair any present damage as the skin is still producing collagen (the stuff that gives the skin plumpness!) as you get older (it just slows down production).

Thank you for your replies, I shall take all your advice on board thankyou.
Am going to book myself in for a prescriptive facial to get me started but still am unsure what toner & cleanser to get. Am I better off taking advice from the salon and buying their recommended products ie, dermalogica & guinot (to name a few) or am I better off going into my local department store and speaking to one of the counters ie, clarins or lancome (again, to name a few). Your advice is much appreciated. Just dont know what is best.

Deffinately buy from a salon as they can diagnose your skin type (counter girls are usually not therapists, they generally just want to sell, sell, sell). Salon products are usually much better hense why salons don't use highstreet brands (except some naughty retailers like clarins that sells left right and center!!).

I think i know of the best thing that will give you dramatic results that people will actually notice after a week. its called a Danne 6 layer peel. it literally takes 6 layers of skin off leaving your skin looking firmer, more toned and more fresh.

i suggest taking a week off work as they apply a mask (you have to go into a salon that specializes in danne products) and that week you will find your skin actually shedding off in sheets. it sounds gross i know but its worth it!! it also gets rid of scaring.

have a look at the danne website and check out the results gallery
Danne or there is an international website link to go to.

good luck!
Elise xx

p.s let me know if you are thinking about it

OOh yeah Danne is very good. :)

I think you should definitely book in for a skin specific facial and talk through your life style with your therapist.

Alot of people dont like/have time for cleansers so you may feel happier with a facial wash or gel.

Alot of people leave out toner but that's a mistake as it takes off any residue of cleanser/oil etc. and gives your skin a lovely fresh feeling ( fab first thing in the morning).

There are so many exfoliators and your therapist will discuss which one is suitable for your skin type. Something too grainey could overstimulate the skin. You exfoliate to remove dead skin cells which leave your skin looking flat and dull. By removing the dead skin cells your moisturisers/masks actually get to the healthy cells where they can be of most benefit so exoliation should definitely play a big part in your facial routine.

I would also invest in a face mask suitable for your skin type to be applied once a week after exfoliation. Again, take your therapists recommendation, there's no point in buying a moisturising mask if you're combination skin and need something to balance.

If you're worried about specific areas eg. fine lines around eyes,dark circles etc. discuss this with your therapist and she can recommend a specific treatment and give you afercare advice.

Don't be afraid to pick your therapists brains, she is there to help and advise you:)

P.S. If the range is expensive and you can only invest in a few key products ask for some samples of the things that have been recommended so you can try out at home

Hi There. I am a beauty therapist and have also worked for clinique for a few years although i now work from home. I have used many different brands including proffesional only products. I use clinique and would recommend them to anyone although everyone has there own preferances. You would be suprised at how much training the consultants get including skin analysis and science and many of them are qualified therapists like myself. If i was you i would go along to a department store and ask for some samples and a consultation. Any good consultant will sit down with you and talk to you about your individual needs. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. This way you can try before you buy. I think you will be plesantly surprised. Most consultants these days are really friendly and down to earth and are definatetly not just sell sell sell. Anyway if i can help you at all just let me know. good luck whatever you decide. There are loads of brilliant products out there both in the high street and in salons

Well I am 34 and I use more anti age products...Gatineau do some great anti age products. Bit pricey but well worth it.

Their new melatogenine facial cleanser (wash off) is ideal to start with.

My routine is,
Cleanse, tone, moisturiser/night cream (Morning & Evening) I also use an oil before my moisturiser as a specific treatment.
I exfoliate & use a mask 1/2 a week depending how busy i am.
The one thing i couldn't live without is eye cream.

Lots of my clients say they don't have time in the morning for a routine but it takes no more than 5 minutes !

If you go to a salon then try & go to one that uses more than one skincare range that way you can try some samples from both ranges & see which one is more suited to you :)

Thank you all. You have been a great help. I have booked myself in for a prescriptive facial next week. The salon was very helpful and told me this should be my first step for a first appointment so that we can determine my skin type etc and then we can go on from there. This danne 6 layer peel sounds very extreme though. Am going to take a look at the website now.:lol:

Latest posts

Back