Skin testing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikkiClifford

Reaction score
Discusted! ......... So today I had a client book in for a full head of foils which on the phone explained that if the colour was to be painted on or touch her skin we would have to do a skin test to which she replied oh no I have bleach foils. She arrived with a full head of brown and some regrowth pure white at the root, I started to explain that I couldn't do it today as we would need to skin test to which she was furious to the point she cried :/ I was so sympathetic to the fact that I know how horrid it is being turned away when you want something doing there and then, i offered to do it the day after it was no good i felt so bad i rang 3 salons in my area and all 3 could fit her in on the day without a skin test , makes my blood boil . Y are people still not skin testing? good I felt so bad

I feel your pain, we had a walk in a few weeks ago who wanted an all over colour, we explained we need to skin test, we did skin test, and booked client for 2 days later, and client did not come in. We phoned client, who said she did intend to come in, but has she walked down road she saw another salon and walked in, they said you do not need a skin test, we can do it now, SO SHE DID! She also did not ring us to cancel her appointment, because we did not obviously did not want her money!

I am generally a positive soul but to be honest at that point I just wanted give up! Or scream! or both!

x

I feel your pain, we had a walk in a few weeks ago who wanted an all over colour, we explained we need to skin test, we did skin test, and booked client for 2 days later, and client did not come in. We phoned client, who said she did intend to come in, but has she walked down road she saw another salon and walked in, they said you do not need a skin test, we can do it now, SO SHE DID! She also did not ring us to cancel her appointment, because we did not obviously did not want her money!

I am generally a positive soul but to be honest at that point I just wanted give up! Or scream! or both!

x

It's not just for our safety we have insurance it's more for the clients , you hear so many horror story's of clients being blinded by hair dye reactions it's just not worth it.

I agree, I am more upset by the other salon's attitude, they know better but are acting irresponsibly, for money, the client, on the other hand, simply does not know better.

It does feel like an uphill battle to educate new clients sometimes.

x

I do skin test now and again but not always to be honest as im mobile so i just feel lazy like i have to go to the client house to do the skin test then in 2 days i have 2 go back to do their hair lol i think they should come to me for the skin test that would be more cool lol

Sometimes people slip through the net, especially when the appt is made over the phone, and were all busy.
But if they walk in and make the app I skin test there and then.

If they don't want a skin test I tell them "our insurance will be void if we coloured your hair without a test. And if you had a reaction, it'd be your fault for refusing one and not wanting to wait" - so that essentially says "have a reaction , you get no compo" :lol:

To be fair, it would serve her right to have a reaction , as she was impatient and wasted your time. At least your Conscience is clear :)

I do skin test now and again but not always to be honest as im mobile so i just feel lazy like i have to go to the client house to do the skin test then in 2 days i have 2 go back to do their hair lol i think they should come to me for the skin test that would be more cool lol

I'm sorry but that's just irresponsible! When I was mobile I would go 2 days before, skin test with black, go through the consultation, get the colour and go back 2 days later. And I'm 30 mins from the nearest wholesales and don't drive.

Now I'm in a new salon I'm finding it difficult to get people to understand I must skin test them even though they have had a colour here before, they just don't get it that I'm not the one who applied the skin test so I can't rely that the previous stylists did it to my standards or under the rules I have taken upon myself above and beyond manufacturers and my insurance requirements.
It's all to keep them alive and to keep them in the same state of health they came toe with, I'm not bothered about being sued, I am bothered that my actions may ruin someone's life. And to make myself feel better I test as thoroughly as I do. Xoxo

I always skin test. No exception. The only time I would do a walk in is if they were habing bleach foils without a toner.
Yes, its peeved a few clients off, and also my bank account, but I know Im doing the right thing.
Its like dropping litter - if we all thought "ah sod it, everyone else does it" We would live in a pretty messy world!
Lead by example and sleep soundly knowing you did the correct, moral and legal thing!
xx

Do u guys skin test if doing fouls?

Or even foils lol

Yup even with foils, even if I think we won't need a toner a still do it just in case

I'm mobile and don't drive and with a colour I make 3 appointsments also less likely to cancel as well (if new client I try to get them to have a cut first then not wasting my time and all ny clients are nice and 90% will come to mine for a skin test)

Sent from my LT15i using SalonGeek

I skin test every new client, if they've had a colour before with me I don't. I know you can just develop an allergy, this is really bad of me still isn't it x

so i phoned up salon gold today as i have insurance with them.and they said that you should skin test everytime the client come in for a colour no matter how long theyve been.coming to you. does any of you do this? cuz apparently it doesnt cover you if a reaction.were to happen any ideas best way to go about skin testing and making it easier for clients and us? xx

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

so i phoned up salon gold today as i have insurance with them.and they said that you should skin test everytime the client come in for a colour no matter how long theyve been.coming to you. does any of you do this? cuz apparently it doesnt cover you if a reaction.were to happen any ideas best way to go about skin testing and making it easier for clients and us? xx

Hum thats really inconvenient seeing as half my clients I only see when im home from uni i.e. on a weekend and wont have time to re-skintest then wait two days.. I am with salon gold also.

It happens to me also.... Clients who are adamant that they wont get a reaction because they've been colouring their hair for ears. That's our policy, skin test for every new client, recorded on the consultations sheet as well. Tbh, if they refuse to co- operate with you when it comes to their own health, it's only a very good indicator of what type of clients they could be. And yes,unfortunately i used to work in a salon where they thought making money it was more important than anything....

so how often does everybody skin test and whats the best way you think there is to record them?

Hi I'm not a hair geek but I work in a salon where I only do eye treatments 90% of my work is tinting.

I try to get clients to come in for patch test but if they really can't I send out a colourstart patch test in the post and my regulars get one of these to take away with them after their appointments so they can apply this 48hrs before their next appointment. I then ask them to sign to say they've done it and show me the test.

Maybe this would be an option for you mobile hair geeks cheaper than petrol x

Hi I'm not a hair geek but I work in a salon where I only do eye treatments 90% of my work is tinting.

I try to get clients to come in for patch test but if they really can't I send out a colourstart patch test in the post and my regulars get one of these to take away with them after their appointments so they can apply this 48hrs before their next appointment. I then ask them to sign to say they've done it and show me the test.

Maybe this would be an option for you mobile hair geeks cheaper than petrol x

How does it work? How could I do it? Thanks so much

How does it work? How could I do it? Thanks so much

It like a temporary tattoo that contains ppd the main culprit for allergic reactions. They're not too expensive about 80p each (they come in packs of 50 plus) but you can just factor this into your prices.

I think they're a life saver especially for them clients who refuse to come for a patch test just post one out and give them another at the end of their treatment. I get mine from salons direct x

Latest posts

Back