Small dilemma, should I paint or Shellac bride?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zo Zo

Reaction score
Ok. This is not a client. This is my ex-husband's gf, they are getting married tomorrow. She has been in my life for approx 10 years, I wouldn't say we are friends but I do try to get along with her and be helpful where possible, as my daughter spends most weekends there.

So. She asks Lucy if I will lend her a base coat and top coat. We are both surprised as we understood she was having a professional job done. Turns out she had it done on Tuesday and of course, it hasn't lasted. I have said I will repaint for her tonight.

She bought the polish at the nail bar for touch up / repaint. i have no idea what colour it is, but I think it's Nails Inc. They get married tomorrow at 11am so I do need to do it today really as tomorrow she will be busy / rushed with hair and make up.

I am busy today and can't do it til 9pm. I am usually hopping into bed by then (yes, really!), as knackered with work / baby / pregnancy. BUT I am happy to do it, I need to go there to drop Lucy & bridesmaid dress etc off anyway.

So this is my dilemma. Do I simply remove and repaint and leave her to it? (Hopefully 15 mins max.) Or do I take my full Shellac and Gelish kit with all lotions and potions and lamp and spend an hour giving her a spoilproof job?? I am not a mobile tech so it seems like I need to take a lot and it's quite late on...

Be brutal with me. Is polish enough or should I go the extra mile(s)??

Ask her to come and pick your daughter up and have her nails done while she's there :D

I would Shellac or Gelish them, more so because it's her special day, no faffing about waiting for them to dry either.

Ok. This is not a client. This is my ex-husband's gf, they are getting married tomorrow. She has been in my life for approx 10 years, I wouldn't say we are friends but I do try to get along with her and be helpful where possible, as my daughter spends most weekends there.

So. She asks Lucy if I will lend her a base coat and top coat. We are both surprised as we understood she was having a professional job done. Turns out she had it done on Tuesday and of course, it hasn't lasted. I have said I will repaint for her tonight.

She bought the polish at the nail bar for touch up / repaint. i have no idea what colour it is, but I think it's Nails Inc. They get married tomorrow at 11am so I do need to do it today really as tomorrow she will be busy / rushed with hair and make up.

I am busy today and can't do it til 9pm. I am usually hopping into bed by then (yes, really!), as knackered with work / baby / pregnancy. BUT I am happy to do it, I need to go there to drop Lucy & bridesmaid dress etc off anyway.

So this is my dilemma. Do I simply remove and repaint and leave her to it? (Hopefully 15 mins max.) Or do I take my full Shellac and Gelish kit with all lotions and potions and lamp and spend an hour giving her a spoilproof job?? I am not a mobile tech so it seems like I need to take a lot and it's quite late on...

If she is willing to pay you, go the whole hog and take your uv products, money is money lol.
if she isn't I would just polish and go. Its not being catty, you're running a business not a charity after all. x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

Zo Zo, I think you're very sweet; however, I wouldn't over extend myself. She's not family or a close personal friend. She is an acquaintance. You are doing her a favor by polishing her. You're already exhausted with your own circumstances. She should have planned better and paid for Shellac or Gelish in the first place. Poor planning on her part does not necessitate an emergency on yours. There's no need to take it upon yourself.

If this weren't your line of work, would you be bothered by it?

Personally I would do the shellac. I'd want them to look nice for her wedding day, also as she helps look after your daughter. I have a similar situation and if it was my ex's girlfriend I'd def do it x

Personally I would do the shellac. I'd want them to look nice for her wedding day, also as she helps look after your daughter. I have a similar situation and if it was my ex's girlfriend I'd def do it x

I agree. I'm kind of in the same boat, too. My X has remarried and they have a daughter. Although not 'friends', her and I get along very well. I would do her nails in a heartbeat. :D

Sandi, she doesn't drive and she has a one and a three year old, and I think she's going to be on her own with them tonight...

Aroma, I'm not expecting her to pay me, even if she had asked me in advance and been v specific about her wants and needs I wouldn't have charged her...

Gr8nailz, I think you're right... but it's tugging at my conscience.

Violet, thank you also, you have a point, over the years she has probably had to put up with A LOT!

Think I will pack my kit up and take it and decide when I see her nails and assess where she is at with her evening, i.e. how much more she still has to do, as she may be up to her ears in last minute stuff.

How kind of you to offer!

I know she is probably busy since its her wedding tomorrow but is there no way that she would be able to come to you tonight? That way if you decide to do Shellac you won't have to carry all your entire kit with you, which might be tiresome...

Sandi, she doesn't drive and she has a one and a three year old, and I think she's going to be on her own with them tonight...

Aroma, I'm not expecting her to pay me, even if she had asked me in advance and been v specific about her wants and needs I wouldn't have charged her...

Gr8nailz, I think you're right... but it's tugging at my conscience.

Violet, thank you also, you have a point, over the years she has probably had to put up with A LOT!

Think I will pack my kit up and take it and decide when I see her nails and assess where she is at with her evening, i.e. how much more she still has to do, as she may be up to her ears in last minute stuff.

Ok I guess we were writing at the same time lol, so since she can't get to you I guess going to hers and doing a Shellac is best :)

You're a sweetheart, Zo Zo. I'd be proud to have you as my husband's baby-mama.

I totally agree with Gr8Nailz. I'm sorry, I don't know your real name!

HOWEVER. If it were me, I would take my Shellac to her and Shellac her up. It's always better to give than to receive. But, you shouldn't over-do yourself by giving too much.

This one time, I would Shellac her, and jokingly throw in, "Under normal circumstances, Shellac would cost you $20!" (Or pounds or whatever.) "Good thing you have a connection in the nail biz, huh!"

Your product isn't cheap! But, when you bless someone else, you get blessed in return x10. So, get ready girl. Something good is gonna come your way. :)

Let me add, though. If it weren't my ex-husbands "baby mama," I'd totally polish her nails with regular polish, and skip along my merry way!

So she's going to be busy tonight with last minute bits, aswel as contending with kiddlies for the evening - I would Shellac her....
We all know how long normal varnish takes to dry completely and how soft and fragile it is until them....the last thing she'll need is it chipping or smudging again...Shellac = problem solved! :)
Kxx

I totally agree with Gr8Nailz. I'm sorry, I don't know your real name!

HOWEVER. If it were me, I would take my Shellac to her and Shellac her up. It's always better to give than to receive. But, you shouldn't over-do yourself by giving too much.

This one time, I would Shellac her, and jokingly throw in, "Under normal circumstances, Shellac would cost you $20!" (Or pounds or whatever.) "Good thing you have a connection in the nail biz, huh!"

Your product isn't cheap! But, when you bless someone else, you get blessed in return x10. So, get ready girl. Something good is gonna come your way. :)

You're right, and I am often blessed in unexpected ways. I think I have to do the shellac. Am going to ask her what her Nails Inc colour is, look it up and see what's similar :)

Great idea. I'd be proud to have you as a nail tech! Good job!!

Have established colour is Virgin Vie Berry Brulee so have no idea where she had them done! Thought it was Debenhams where they use Nails Inc, but now I don't think so. Hmm.

Looks a bit like Gelish Rendezvous although who knows how accurate the colour chart is... Will take all pinky reds. At least I know it's not light / peachy / brown so can rule all those out.

Have established colour is Virgin Vie Berry Brulee so have no idea where she had them done! Thought it was Debenhams where they use Nails Inc, but now I don't think so. Hmm.

Looks a bit like Gelish Rendezvous although who knows how accurate the colour chart is... Will take all pinky reds. At least I know it's not light / peachy / brown so can rule all those out.

I stand by what I said. You are a sweetheart, Zo Zo.

I would do Shellac and one reason is that she will be around lots of other girls tomorrow and if her nails look great and you tell her they're Shellac and will last for a few weeks, I am sure her friends will be interested in where they can get that done. Wow, run-on sentence, LOL :D

You could also use her color, if she insists and then do a good UV topcoat. You could double coat it curing each coat for extra durability.

Thats dead nice of you, I would do the best job I possibly could - shellac her. xx

I'd do the shellac too. You don't want it to be playing on your conscience plus it's good to keep in the good books with your ex and his girlfriend. You also never know when you need a favour from them :)

Latest posts

Back