Smoking ban,1st of July

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it was said (not to sure if it is fact) that most if not all places are not going to be allowed to put smoking area's outside the buildings either covered or not!!!

The place i used to work for had allocated a smoking area just outside the rear/security entrance this was open at one end similar to a bus stop but much bigger, smokers were told that when the ban comes into force businesses will not be allowed to provide an area of any description outside the buldings for smokers and they will not be allowed to smoke near or around the building!!! (this may have just been that companys policy i dont really know)!!!!

As for smoking outside a seaside town close to me has already started to fine you if you drop litter like most places, but they are very vigilant of smokers and have made many examples (even waiting and watching) people who smoke outside shops and stub the butt out or drop it on the floor.

I am not a smoker so this will not bother me but for the people who do it is going to be quite hard on them.

Christi
xxx

cool i cant wait - i can go to the pub without coming home stinking of smoke! xxx

i stoped smoking 12 months and 2 days ago:) , i do feel for the smokers thou as this will have an impact, why ban it in all public places, why not have a compromise as the government are quick enough to spend the money tax on smoking brings

im not a drinker and i cant stand drunk people so does this mean i can demand no drinking in the pub??? i think there should be some kind of compromise and not a complete ban, i cant stand this big brother controling my life :mad:

I think its a good thing.

I smoke socially if i go on a night out & hopefully this will make me stop :green:

The thing is dislike the most about smoking is the smell, if i go to one of my smoker friends houses i always wear old clothes as i come home reeking of smoke, yuk !!

Hubby and mother wont be impressed,but I am delighted,sorry any of you smokers.

i smoke.... but im as delighted as a non-smoker about the ban....

if i had to physically get off my seat in a resturant.. put my coat on and walk outside in the freezing cold for the sake of a cigarette.. then no.. i wont bother and i wont do it... which means in the long run.. i would either smoke less or stop smoking all together..... either way.. it will be good for me....

I smoke but to be honest dont care about not having one infact I can go hours with them, So hopefully this will be the kick up the backside I need to Stop.

I think its a good thing.

I smoke socially if i go on a night out & hopefully this will make me stop :green:

The thing is dislike the most about smoking is the smell, if i go to one of my smoker friends houses i always wear old clothes as i come home reeking of smoke, yuk !!

Im like you, I only ever smoke when im in the pub drinking, this will prob make me stop, as I dont need a fag so much that im willing to stand out in the cold!:)

i stoped smoking 12 months and 2 days ago:) , i do feel for the smokers thou as this will have an impact, why ban it in all public places, why not have a compromise as the government are quick enough to spend the money tax on smoking brings

im not a drinker and i cant stand drunk people so does this mean i can demand no drinking in the pub??? i think there should be some kind of compromise and not a complete ban, i cant stand this big brother controling my life :mad:
You may not be a drinker,and may not be able to stand drunk people but lets face it,you cant get lung cancer or any other disease by someone being drunk,you certainly can from passive smoking.Remember Roy Castle???Never smoked a single cigarette in his life and died from lung cancer as a result of passive smoking.:eek:

I hope this ban will stop my hubby or my friends that have a "social smoke".After all who wants to sit outside in the freezing cold or tropical rain storms that we have been having lately????

I know it's easy for me to say I am pleased,because I have never smoked.But I really and truelly hate it.My Grandfather died from lung cancer and it was nasty watching him change from a strong,weighty guy into a weak skeleton.

I wish the goverment would ban them altogether,but they make big money from these cancer sticks and that's all they are really worried about.:irked:

What worries me is the fact that you will have to go outside to smoke but leave your drink inside waiting to either be nicked or spiked.:eek:

What worries me is the fact that you will have to go outside to smoke but leave your drink inside waiting to either be nicked or spiked.:eek:
Yes,it is worrying Judy,I spend all my efforts telling daughter not to leave her drink in case it gets spiked and now what.....Mmmm,they wont be letting everyone outside with their glasses that's for sure.Guess they will have to sup up,then go outside or into the smog room to have a fag eh!!!

The ban was imposed here last april I believe.

Personally, not impressed.
We have not been allowed to smoke on planes, or in shopping centers and the like for quite some time.
Now, we can't smoke in restaurants or bars either AND we must be 9meters from any door.
IN FACT most recently there was an article in the paper. A man had stepped out onto his balcony for a smoke. His wife had just had a baby, so he wasn't smoking in the home anymore. His balcony of his apartment was only 6 feet from his neighbors... his smoke wafted through their patio door. They called the cops on him because he wasn't 9meters from their door:eek: :irked: Now that is RIDICULOUS:!:

At the very least, they should have kept smoking sections and smoking rooms.

I'm sorry, but I think it's a load of hypocritical CRAP.
People are driving their cars, riding in buses/trains/planes... Trucks are transporting goods, as are ships... etc..
No one is complaining about those pollutants which cause FAR MORE damage than cigarettes do.
Let's not forget all the factories.................

AND why should I have to tolerate someone's foul body odour? (for those that argue ciggies stink?)
I can't tell you how many times I used to disembark from the metro (underground train in montreal) to get the next one because someone just fouled up the whole car with their stink.

Yes, I'm a smoker AND while I do respect that non-smokers have rights.. I think it's all gone way too far and become ridiculous. If they want to ban pollutants, then ban ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL polutants and not just target the smokers.

I hate being a smoker. I know it's bad. I do keep trying to quit. I do not like the smell etc..... don't get me wrong. I'm not arguing 'for' smoking. I'm arguing against laws that are nonsense in my opinion.

It reeks of hypocrisy of you ask me.

just my opinion LOL:lol: :hug:

To echo my fellow Scots Karen and Isabel the smoking ban is the best piece of legislation to be instated in Scotland. It is brilliant my only complaint would be that folks are allowed to smoke at the entrance/ exits to buildings meaning you have to walk through a 'smog' (great description Iz!) to get in or out. Places with smoking sheds are fine but in other places the 9 metre rule
Victoria describes sounds like a fab idea to me.
The smoking ban has made me enjoy going out again, I love it being able to come home and go to bed without having a scalding shower to rid myself of the stench of smoke.
As a family we love going out eating out but before the smoking ban came into effect we were limited in our choice of restaurants because they allowed smoking. I would never dream of exposing my 3 year old daughter to smoke at home so I sure wasn't going to pay a restaurant for the privilege of compromising her health. Now it means we dont have to think about it.

Victoria - just to pick up on a few of your points
At the very least, they should have kept smoking sections and smoking rooms.

Yep okay have smoking rooms with a door that closes but I cant understand smoking sections - how can you contain smoke exactly? How can you prevent it traveling to other areas? What about the staff that work there how can they serve in or pass through the smoking section with out being exposed?

To quote the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 ~
Employers have a general duty under section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare of their employees at work.

Allowing smoking in public places is stopping people earning an honest living in an environment which wont damage their health.
Yes its your choice and right to poison your own lungs but who gave you the right to poison others? Everyone has the basic human right to breathe clean unpolluted air.

People are driving their cars, riding in buses/trains/planes... Trucks are transporting goods, as are ships... etc..
No one is complaining about those pollutants which cause FAR MORE damage than cigarettes do.
Let's not forget all the factories.................
.........Yes, I'm a smoker AND while I do respect that non-smokers have rights.. I think it's all gone way too far and become ridiculous. If they want to ban pollutants, then ban ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL pollutants and not just target the smokers.

The things you list are all essential to the way our generation lives, governments recognise and control this - as much as is feasible. There is legislation covering pollution from the production, transport and manufacturing industries - smoking is a form of pollution so why not recognise and control it?

AND why should I have to tolerate someone's foul body odour? (for those that argue ciggies stink?)
I can't tell you how many times I used to disembark from the metro (underground train in montreal) to get the next one because someone just fouled up the whole car with their stink.

Standing next to someone with body odour it wont directly affect your health (unless it makes you puke!:green: ), even standing next to an alcoholic wont harm you BUT standing next to a smoker WILL - it is a proven fact. Deaths from passivce smoking are a reality not fiction.

I'm arguing against laws that are nonsense in my opinion.

Yes you are entitled to your opinion but nonsense :eek:?

Yep okay have smoking rooms with a door that closes but I cant understand smoking sections

This is ideal. I also find the idea of 'sections' rather silly. As for staff, hire staff that doesn't object to work only that section (say, a smoker for that section, follow?)

Yes its your choice and right to poison your own lungs but who gave you the right to poison others? Everyone has the basic human right to breathe clean unpolluted air.

But, we aren't.... Look at all the buses etc... that's my point. Cigarettes put out far less pollutants than all the forms of transportation and factories do. And yet, no one is targeting them and banning them. That is my only issue. I understand banning pollutants. I'm all for it. YES everyone deserves clean air, but why not target the worst offenders??
I'll tell you why. TAX DOLLARS. That government makes a killing from gas taxes, factories etc... that's why. They make less money from cigarettes than they do from gas and factories that produce pollutants. So they ban the one that's less profitable.
That's where the hypocrisy lies and that's what irks me:wink2:

The things you list are all essential to the way our generation lives, governments recognise and control this - as much as is feasible. There is legislation covering pollution from the production, transport and manufacturing industries - smoking is a form of pollution so why not recognise and control it?

Who decides what's feasible? Electric cars are feasible. Why aren't we driving electric cars? I do not deny that smoking is a form of pollution. Please don't get me wrong. I'm not "for smoking". I'm as much against it as anyone, although I'm a smoker.
BUT I'd rather see my tax dollars spent enforcing laws against car manufaturers and factories etc... forcing them to find other ways of providing transportation or manufacturing goods without polluting our air. It's indisputable that they are far more dangerous to us than cigarettes. Look at smog over huge metroplis'... that's not from smokers. That's from CARS.

Standing next to someone with body odour it wont directly affect your health (unless it makes you puke!:green: ), even standing next to an alcoholic wont harm you BUT standing next to a smoker WILL - it is a proven fact.

While body odour will not kill you, pollutants can, no matter what their source is. So many are concerned with getting cancer from cigarettes, but what about getting cancer from cars? trains? plains? busses? factories?

That's my point. That's why the law makes no sense. Government's are all "we have to protect the people from cancer from second hand smoke" how about "we have to protect the people from the pollutants put out by cars and factories"???
I'd like to see energy and tax dollars better spent getting rid of the larger problems, rather than focusing on things so inconsequential in comparison.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I think that yes,your right in the fact that all these other things,i.e cars,planes,factories,cars cause cancer,pollution and global warming but...these issues are also being targeted by the goverment.Nowhere near as quickly as I would like but what can we do???

Fortunately smoking is a far easier thing to stop,and this is what is going to happen and has happened in a lot of places already.

The thing is,all these little inconsequential things like smoking all add up to one big thing,health issues,discomfort,bad smells etc.The most important of all is the obvious health issue.If health problems can be reduced as easily as stopping people from smoking in public places then I applaude the goverment and say do it now,sooner rather than later.:)

I would like to see many other changes but this is another thread altogether.If I could wave a magic wand and ban a lot of other cancer causers then I would be the first one to wave away,sadly that isn't going to happen for a long time yet.But at least we are making slow progress.

I smoke...i don't mind the ban..at all.,,,,what i do mind is the governments half ass hypocritical efforts of wanting to look like they are doing something good....lets face it...with out us smokers, you'd be paying alot more tax.....the government love us smokers, but they'll never admit it.

I really do believe thats it a nasty addiction...a selfish adiction....an expensive adiction....a dangerous addition....but it is an addiction !!!....I gave up for 3-4 months and was the happiest i have ever been...i stupidly fell back into it....got cocky and thought i had it susses, thought i could have one or two now and then...you cant...or should i say i couldn't. Right back to 20 a day. I will be that happy non smoker again one day...just not today. xx

They are doing a lot of this in the states too. So far where I am it is still allowed but in Indianapolis where my family lives they have banned smoking in all public places. I think this is a good idea. I am a smoker but I try only to smoke outside, I never sit in the smoking section at restraunts because I want to smell my food not cigarettes.

Our staff canteen has a little smoking room for the smokers so does that mean that will no longer be there as well?!

I am a smoker and although i am not opposed to designated smoking area's i do feel this is one step closer to "the nanny state " wich is mentioned a lot.

No i do not think non smokers should have to breath in my pollution,nor do i feel i should be penalised,this is an addiction i have had for nine years now,not only that i actually enjoy smoking.

I look at my son and feel terrible that one day he could and probably willl loose his mummy to a smoking related ilneness,even lung cancer,so why don't i want to stop ?

I have lost three grandparents now two to lung cancer one to emphacema (sp) the two who passed to lung cancer were non smokers,they were not around many smokers and did not go out to pubs,so it just goes to show,we all pass one day and although our actions may contribute ultimately we will all go for a reason.

The above may just be my justification of why not to stop.

This ban will mean i won't go out as often,i am a heavy smoker and although i don't care if i am outside or in another area,i feel as an adult my choice has been taken away.

I have not been to the cinemea in six years,i find it uncomfortable to not smoke and therefore i choose not to go,that's fine,but i want a ciggie with my drink.

For example,when i am in an eating establishment and have finnished my meal i always leave the table for a ciggarete,i would never smoke where people are eating,imo that's rude.

I beleive all eating establishments and places for children should be none smoking,the main thing i am against is pub's,why not bring back the tap room ?

I enjoy smoking with a drink and as this will be taken away a drink in the house becomes more appealing.

Heck even i hate the smell of stale smoke so i feel for non smokers but this enforcement could have been prevented with a little comprimise and common sense.

Most "watering holes " lol have more than one room it could have been so easily prevented by having a smoking room,but as it goes even the smoking rooms wich are comming into force won't have a bar,so i have to do without a drink,so i can have a cig.

It will be much nicer for non smokers .

Heck smoking will be illegal soon .

Dont think it will ever be illegal,goverment would lose too much money.

I have always said with such bad health consequences that they should ban them,but we all know why they dont, dont we!!!!

Imo smokers who suffer from smoking related ilness should have to pay for their treatment,heck we find money for ciggies,we would have to find it for our health,jmo x

Latest posts

Back