Smoking ban,1st of July

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There does not seem to be any doubt that we all agree that it is not right to inflict smoke on other people but listening to a few people yesterday(local to me) and the radio made my blood boil.

There does seem to be a contingent who think that if you have any 'socially unacceptable habit' that they have a God given right to criticise and condemn you.

Someone said to me that parents who smoked should be reported to the NSPCC for cruelty to their children

When it was debated on the radio about how it would affect pubs a caller said that it didn't matter - drinkers and smokers were as bad as each other.

Now I think everyone has the right to there own opinion but this sort of thing, to me, just smacks of total self obsession. What ever happened to live and let live.

Yes I like a drink and yes I used to smoke, once again I reiterate that I know it is not right to inflict it on others and I feel sorry that people have not been able to enjoy public places. As long as we all couch our responses with respect to each other as has certainly been the case in this thread
then thats OK but believe me after what I heard you would not have wanted to be within a mile of me yesterday. (Paul was sorry he worked at home)

In Aus they are gonna try and ban it in cars, i understand the second hand smoke ideal, but our government is really lax in the global warming stakes (silly Johnny Howard) the fumes from cars is disgusting and in some of the tunnels around town you almost pass out. I'd like to see the government do something about the National pollution also.

I also think people should be fined for farting on buses and in elevators. After all, it's all gaseous.

What if a smoker doesn't drive a car (or drives an electric car), does that make them ecologically equal to a non-smoker that pollutes the air via their exhaust?

BTW, Allen Carr, the Guru of giving up smoking died of lung cancer on Thursday, oddly enough the papers couldn't say if his lung cancer was related to smoking or not (odd huh).

Just to add, a staff member of mine died of lung cancer 2 years ago and she never smoked a fag in her life. Cancer is an odd disease indeed, some people get it (of all ages, in different parts of their bodies) and some people don't.

For example,when i am in an eating establishment and have finnished my meal i always leave the table for a ciggarete,i would never smoke where people are eating,imo that's rude.

I beleive all eating establishments and places for children should be none smoking,the main thing i am against is pub's,why not bring back the tap room ?

I enjoy smoking with a drink and as this will be taken away a drink in the house becomes more appealing.

Heck even i hate the smell of stale smoke so i feel for non smokers but this enforcement could have been prevented with a little comprimise and common sense.

Most "watering holes " lol have more than one room it could have been so easily prevented by having a smoking room,but as it goes even the smoking rooms wich are comming into force won't have a bar,so i have to do without a drink,so i can have a cig.

totally agree with all you've said here becki, I agree with banning smoking in most public places, but pubs???? daft really, like becki said above most pubs in the uk have 2 rooms why just not make one smoking and one not,

one of my best friends own a pub in the next village :D :lick: :D ( thats the sort of mate you want ) and they are having to spend a packet ready for the new laws, (patio area etc) and are worried about the drop in trade, this is an traditional small country pub, many locals smoke, its where you smoke !
they have 2 rooms and would have much preferred to have 1 smoking,

I wonder if "smoking clubs" will come back into fashion? From centuries ago
LOL

What comes to mind is Kramer from that stupid episode of the Seinfeld show, who turned all wrinkly and ugly and brown looking after he took up smoking for a month or something retarded like that, and looked in the mirror and moaned "I look hideous"

It really is sad though. I hate smoking. I hate that every time I try to quit, my kids bear the worst of it as I turn into a screaming maniac. I hate being made to feel like a leper of the worst kind. I mean.. I know non-smokers who are simply evil people... know what I mean? Smokers are treated like trash very often and most are just very good people who unfortunately have a bad habit/addiction. It's not as if I have a crack addiction and I'm pawning my stuff and stealing from friends to pay for it, know what I mean?

What irks me further... anyone with alcoholism, or a controlled substance addiction can get FREE help paid by the government to break the habit (at least you can in Quebec). However, while it's MY tax dollars paying for all this, none of these tax dollars help me break my habit!! IN FACT where I live, it costs more money to quit (example, the patch at 45$ a week) versus a bag of 200 ciggies from the indian reserve for 14$ a bag:irked: . Granted, in the long run, cheaper to quit. but, you gotta have that money up front.. and a bag lasts me 1.5wks.......

I've tried quitting cold turkey. I've tried the patch 3 times. Zyban/wellbutrin 2 times to quit.... None worked, and I wound up treating my hubby and kids in an abominable fashion.

If someone has that magic wand, I'd DEARLY love to know about it.:sad:

I can't be doing with all the people who say, "ooh I know such and such who died of lung cancer and they never smoked a day in their life!" Just because one person who didn't smoke dies of a disease that is most commonly associated (and rightly so) with smokers, it doesn't mean that the chances of a non-smoker and a smoker dying of lung cancer is equal, we all know that and there is no point formulating excuses to make yourself feel better about smoking, if you have to do that, you should just give up smoking!

I was a little perturbed about the comparison of smoking with car fumes. Car fumes are a huge worry to the environment, but I don't think this is the issue with this particular piece of legislation. It's people's lungs and general health that are trying to be protected, and the reason why we are more likely to be damaged by second hand smoke than car fumes, is because any car fumes we breath in are in a well ventilated space where the gasses rise naturally and get diluted with oxygen. Now back a car into a pub and let all the exhaust fumes go into the bar and you've got a few dozen dead punters on your hands! Second hand smoke in pubs has nowhere to go, so just gets breathed in, and whilst it's not as potent as car fumes, because there is not enough oxygen to dilute it enough, it is more damaging.

I am a part time smoker - I can take it or leave it. A pack of 20 lasts me about 3 months unless my husband gets his hands on them!! I do like a ciggie sometimes when I am having a drink but we don't go out much now so I don't think the ban is going to affect me much.

I am quite pleased in someways about the ban. My husband smokes a lot compared to me - rollies too and he stinks a lot of the time. He also has bad breath first thing in the morning and I hate kissing him. Hopefully this will gently encourage him to give up!!

I don't however like the "nanny state" where by we are being told what we can and can't do. Where will it end? I understand that we should not be inflicting 2nd hand smoke to others but whatever happend to asking the question - do you mind if I smoke? If yes then ok I will nip outside for one.

I dont smoke but hope wer dont end up having to fight our way through crowds of smokers outside to get to where we want to go!

We've had the ban up here in Scotland since March and it's great. Restaurants are much more pleasant and my hair doesn't stink after a night out. It really bugged me on a recent trip south of the border and couldn't believe that it really had made such a difference here.
Only problem is - the streets outside office blocks are full of huddled workers, out for a puff. Lots have just given up the evil weed and cigarette sales are way down.

The ban on smoking in Spain became law in January this year (2006), however, it wasn't everywhere.
The ban only applies to buildings (as far as I'm aware) to pubs/clubs/restaurants of less than 100 metres sq, so if a pub/club/restaurant is more than 100 metres sq then smoking is still allowed.

Before the ban was imposed smoking was allowed virtually anywhere, from government buildings and banks to solicitors offices and anywhere else inbetween.

We go out quite a lot and we've seen the signs on the doors that say whether smoking is permissable or not.
It doesn't bother me in all honesty, even though I am a smoker, I can wait until after a meal to have a cig.
It's better for the health of the people who don't smoke and we have a choice of which pubs/clubs/restaurants we wish to go into. Obviously as a smoker I would choose to go into an establishment where I can smoke but at the end of the day if it's better for my children then I'll go somewhere where it's not permitted.

At home I don't smoke around my family, moreso since my hubby gave up at New Year... I come into my computer room/office, hence why I spend so much time on this site lol

Latest posts

Back