Smoking ban,1st of July

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABSann

Reaction score
OOOh,just saw smoking ban will start on the 1st of July,in all enclosed places and workplaces.

Hubby and mother wont be impressed,but I am delighted,sorry any of you smokers.

How will you cope?
Will you carry on if you can get away with it?Do you think it's an infringement of your rights?
Or are you pleased like me,that you wont come home from a night out smelling like a giant dogend?LOL

Wonder if all the pubs will be half full like my mum reckons....:)

I'm a smoker but I think its a good thing, it might help me to give up! I'm funny though, I don't mind my own cigarette smoke but don't like other peoples everywhere when I'm not smoking! My 'adopted!' son, my friends baby loves to be in busy places and meeting everyone but we hardly ever take him because of all the smoke.

OOOh,just saw smoking ban will start on the 1st of July,in all enclosed places and workplaces.

Hubby and mother wont be impressed,but I am delighted,sorry any of you smokers.

How will you cope?
Will you carry on if you can get away with it?Do you think it's an infringement of your rights?
Or are you pleased like me,that you wont come home from a night out smelling like a giant dogend?LOL

Wonder if all the pubs will be half full like my mum reckons....:)

I gave up smoking on March 20th this year.

There were several reasons but the restrictions were one of them.

I couldn't enjoy a cigarette after a meal in a restaurant.
I couldn't smoke in a cinema - stopped going years ago.
I couldn't smoke when flying, and when I go to USA this means approx 12 hours fagless allowing for airport time each end.
I felt like a leper wherever I went that still allowed smoking.

I fully appreciate that non smokers especially children should not be subjected to smoke, I hate it now, my Mum smokes 60 a day.

BUT

There is a little bit of me is nostalgic for a time when I could enjoy a cigarette without feeling like a second class citizen.
I do feel sorry for the people who go to the pub for the odd pint and a smoke because that really is the time for a ciggy. It would certainly put me off going to the pub

We have had a smoking ban here since March this year and I have to say it has made me go out more I don't smoke and hated going out to the pub or for a meal and coming home stinking of smoke :eek:

We went to Flamingo Land in Yorkshire on holiday this year and found it off putting going into the bar in fact we only went in one as I couldn't sand the smell.

The pubs up here have found more customers are now coming in and staying longer and their bar staff to are much happier and healthier so that cant be a bad thing:hug:

I'm a smoker and not really happy about the ban.

Yes, non smokers have their rights, but smokers have theirs too. I don't mind not smoking in public places, but it's the little tear-away child in me that wants to throw a strop because I'm being TOLD NOT TO !! :lol:

Having said that, I've forgotten that I will be a non-smoker next year ..... heaven help me with this !

Marlise

We have had a smoking ban here since March this year and I have to say it has made me go out more I don't smoke and hated going out to the pub or for a meal and coming home stinking of smoke :eek:

We went to Flamingo Land in Yorkshire on holiday this year and found it off putting going into the bar in fact we only went in one as I couldn't sand the smell.

The pubs up here have found more customers are now coming in and staying longer and their bar staff to are much happier and healthier so that cant be a bad thing:hug:

Totally agree with Karen here....It has been GREAT since the smoking ban came into force here.
I go out with my hubby more often and it is great to sit in a smoke free atmosphere....The pubs haven't really had the big drop in customers they expected at all...but it is comng into winter now and that may make a difference for the smokers who nip outside for a quick cigarette.

Down in Leeds last week was a big shock for me ..all of a sudden being surrounded by people smoking again...(no offence!!).....

Only problem is walking in & out of pubs though...and having to walk through the gaggle of smokers at the door....whilst holding your breath!!!

Oh ...what is the collective name for a crowd of smokers....a cloud?...oh I know a SMOG....that's it a smog of smokers!!!!!.he he

I think it's about time - people are getting ripped off with the cost of smoking and with all the related illness, I hope it can make many people decide to give up.

When I went to Ireland it was completely banned in the pubs there.

i think its rediculous..................before long we smokers will only be able to smoke in our own home. as for no smoking in the workplace, where im at, at the moment the staff are only allowed to smoke in the kitchen, no public allowed in there, to me, this aint a problem, so why does the government feel the need to stop it. plus business owner should beable to choose whether they allocate a room for smoking or not, afterall it is THEIR business. to me its like being told i cant smoke in my own home..................yeah right

i think its rediculous..................before long we smokers will only be able to smoke in our own home.

I have heard that you won't even be able to do this! Say if you had workmen, delivery men etc in your home you cannot smoke as it is classed as their workplace!

I honestly don't know the truth in this but as I said I only heard it on the grapevine!!!!

It's disgusting all these passive smokers getting the benifits of our smoke while us smokers have to do all the hard work:)

i do smoke ..i gave up for 5 years and very stupidly started again last year ..when i was drunk and rebelious :rolleyes:

but i think the smoking ban is good to an extent ..im hoping that i will be able to give up soon and thet in 5 years time my kids might not be as likely to smoke !
i do think that empolyers should be able to decide wether or not to have smoking on their premises ...
and as for not smoking in clubs ? not sure what i think about that one yet
im so indecisive on everything ,even which chocolate bar to have :lol:

I think the biggest problem that pubs, clubs etc. will have is that the majority of their clientele will actually be outside of the premises rather than inside !

How does that affect drinking on the street ? I.e I'm in a pub having a drink, I want to have a cigarette, am I allowed to take my drink outside with me ?

If you are in a club, would clubs have to give you a stamp or something so that you can get in and out of the club as often as you please ?

Will large amounts of people on the sidewalk etc be a problem ?

Just a couple of thoughts. Perhaps we won't be able to smoke outside either !!!

Marlise

I gave up smoing for 14 years and started again a few years ago, I never smoke at home or in front of my family (they would kill me) but if I am out having a drink with friends I do.

I am sure pubs will be able to find a way around it if they want too, wont they:eek:

Most pubs will get round it by having a smoking area outside, a lot round us are having a semi undercover area with heaters, You cant stand outside a pub (on the street) with a drink as you can only drink on the licensed premises. But, they are not allowed to have the area fully covered, as that would class as being inside.:)

I think the biggest problem that pubs, clubs etc. will have is that the majority of their clientele will actually be outside of the premises rather than inside !

How does that affect drinking on the street ? I.e I'm in a pub having a drink, I want to have a cigarette, am I allowed to take my drink outside with me ?

If you are in a club, would clubs have to give you a stamp or something so that you can get in and out of the club as often as you please ?

Will large amounts of people on the sidewalk etc be a problem ?

Just a couple of thoughts. Perhaps we won't be able to smoke outside either !!!

Marlise

Hi Marlise,

In Scotland, you get a stamp on your hand when you enter a club so that you can enter and leave for a ciggie break.

Most places have a wee designated area at the front of the club / pub where there is seating, heaters (in the more upmarket places).

I don't think you are allowed to take you drink outside but that would prob be dependant on your areas licencing laws.

I am a non-smoker and whilst luv being in pubs / clubs without smoke its quite crap when yer friends all disappear for a ciggie.

When the ban first came into play here all the clubs and pubs smelled a bit funny. The cig smoke disguises a lot of smells.

Hope this helps.

Jo

The smoking ban came in here about 2 years ago and it's great, most pubs have made a beer garden or put some sort of smoking outside. All pubs seem just as busy as always, its great not stinking of smoke after a night out and I'm convinced that my hangover isn't as bad from inhaling all that passive smoke

Thank the Lord, at last! :green:

Smokers have the right to smoke, but they certainly do not have the right to clog up my lungs with the awful stuff and make my new leopard print coat smell like the British Legion! No siree!

Wicked! I am the worst kind of ex-smoker.........I HATE IT, YUK!

Woohoo!! Maybe my boyfriend may stop smoking then... he's just been up to Scotland this week with work and I think it hit home the fact he had to keep popping outside for one when it was bloomin freezing! :lol:

Im a smoker, well have not had one today as Im off with the Flu, but I am over the moon with the ban!

Maybe it will encourage people not to smoke????

Went to Edinburgh in August and it was so nice to go back to the hotel after a night out and not stink of fags.

Bring it on!

Latest posts

Back