So impressed by all you hair stylists....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabtans

Reaction score
HI,
Im not a hair dresser, no knowledge of this profession at all. I spray tan for a living...I helped an old friend out today in her salon as a favour, basically doing all the run around jobs, shampooing, taking curlers out, answering phone, sweeping up, cups of tea..etc...She was desperate for an extra pair of hands on her busiest day of the week, as her college students keep letting her down.(Thats another topic/thread Im sure).. Anyway,this being my first visit working in a salon staying 9am -3pm and could not believe what you guys go thr probably every working day. You all work so so hard, hardly time to grab a drink or pop to the loo let alone eat lunch! It was a real eye opener to how talented you are, not only dealing with all the customers creating their perfect hair styles but all the conversation and smiles that have to be given as if each customer is your first of the day! Just wanted to say how impressed i was, i was made so welcome by staff and customers and loved every minute of my day, an achy back and sore feet but i shall never moan again about a hard day tanning at home! You certainly dont earn the wages you deserve..you must have a real passion for what you do.

Thankyou. Nice to be appreciated!!!!!!

You do get used to it, I run a really fast column. Most hairdressers would wet their knickers at the amount of work I can fit into a day, but I'm used to it, and don't think twice about it.

awww thats the nicest post ive seen in a while :) like persi says nice to be appreciated. there is alot of unseen skill that goes into our work that a lot of clients and other proffessions dont understand and often think "they are only hairdressers" but we know different :) x

Thank you that's lovely of you to say such appreciative words.

its so nice to hear that people do see the skills hairdressers have to have , i can remeber first starting and omg ...
i would come home feet killing , back breaking .. i never thought i would get used to standing for 8 hrs a day sometimes more , but i did ...
now i have had a break and dont do full days .. u should see me when i do !!! omg ...

i did a course the other day and was cutting hair for 8 hrs solid , well a 15 min lunch break , i was shattered and the next day my back felt like it was gonna break , :lol:

Lovely to see this post! Just sat down for the first time today been on my feet since 9 feet aching back breaking! Eyes slightly blurry now haha! Thank god I love my job lol! X

lovely post, thank you

Thanks chick! And Persianista, out of curiosity, how many a day?

Depends on the type of work. Fastest I ever did was an 11 hour day with 2 other stylists full booked and off sick. I did all 3 columns of clients. Equates to 3 cbd's per hour. I did have ajunior though.

That's really lovely bless your heart! I hate when people rip into me suggesting that I DON'T work hard, that hairdressing ISN'T a difficult job and that it ISN'T a proper career.

They wouldn't last 5 minutes...

It is a job I don't think one should do if you don't enjoy it; it can show in some cases. Although it isn't the best paid job, it's not the worst paid job and some do earn a good wage. In the hair and beauty industry we are considerably lucky as there is the possibility to earn a fair bit in tips. I can run my car on my tips, put it that way. I can earn money with my skills in and out of work and I feel very fortunate to possess such skills. So to those who don't think hairdressing is hard work or beneficial, they couldn't be more wrong.

Comments like yours make me so proud to do what I do and it's very uplifting. Thank you :)

Ps. Sometimes a backache and numb legs can feel like a reward lol ;)

Depends on the type of work. Fastest I ever did was an 11 hour day with 2 other stylists full booked and off sick. I did all 3 columns of clients. Equates to 3 cbd's per hour. I did have ajunior though.

Wow, better go change me knickers lol!

I can work bloody fast if I have to. I try not to in my normal work, as I prisicion cut as a rule. My record for a full head of highlights is 20 mins.

I can work bloody fast if I have to. I try not to in my normal work, as I prisicion cut as a rule. My record for a full head of highlights is 20 mins.

WOW. How did you manage to get so fast ??

If any of u super stylists needs a job in Llanelli, south wales let me know lol xx

normal. I did high lift tint highlights (woven, not sliced) using easimeche.

You gotta remember I have been doing highlights since most senior stylists were potty training!!!!

Wow and I thought 40 mins for a full head foil highlights was good! U should most Definatly be the guiness book of records me thinks!
My clients get worried when I say I've finished they always suprised when it comes to taking them all out! X

normal. I did high lift tint highlights (woven, not sliced) using easimeche.

You gotta remember I have been doing highlights since most senior stylists were potty training!!!!

I thought I was quick at 30 mins. I use foil though, not meche.
My stylists can never keep up with me either. I love running a fast column. Gets me all fired up! :)

Wow and I thought 40 mins for a full head foil highlights was good! U should most Definatly be the guiness book of records me thinks!
My clients get worried when I say I've finished they always suprised when it comes to taking them all out! X

In the olden days, a colleague of ours actually won fastest men's haircut, something like 30 seconds, Bob was his name, it was in the guinness book of records!

Latest posts

Back