so poor!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow thanks everyone for ur responses, i feel better for the advise. i am going to start budgeting my money, its hrd but i kno i will feel better for it.
thanks to those who PM's me too!
x

Please please seek advice and sooner rather than later.

I fully understand where you are coming from and believe me its so easy to burry your head in the sand in the hope it will go away, IT WONT!

Im not proud of the debt i got myself into but using my visas and overdrafts was the only way of surviving at times.
Even taking my brother in and supporting him for over a year put 6k on my visa card.

Im not a silly spender and only ever spent on essentials but as the visas grew in outstanding debt the payment became unpayable, that resulted in late payments.

I nearly lost my home and for months i put on a brave face.

Ive now got professional advice from a company called payplan who took over all my financial dealings, they told me what i was allowed each month to pay things like gas, elec, phone, pets, food, hair, personal hygene, cars, mortgage etc etc. Once my income & expendature was done i had a surplus of X amount and that is what they take each month, they then send out a payment to each of my creditors. They take no payment for doing this unlike some other companies.

Its taken a huge weight of my shoulders but im left with nothing at the end of the month and will be paying my debts off for years to come.

I now have a basic bank account with no cheque book and everything is paid for cash, NO CASH no purchase!

I used to be ashamed of my debt and it wasnt untill i joind another forum on the martin lewis site that i realised there is people far wose off than me.

Please seek help and get it sorted :hug:

Tough love time....... You really need to get a grip.
You're 22 and live at home, so you have minimal expences. Household expences generally take up the largest amount of peoples' income, you don't have that (not saying you don't give your parents money).
Get rid of the credit cards!!! If you can't afford it now, you certainly can't offord it later.
Work out absolutely bare minimum you need to get by for the basic necessities, that's what you allow for yourself, everything else goes straight to paying of the credit cards.
I really hope you sort things out.:hug:

You need to get sorted before you leave home because then you're really screwed. I've lived by myself for 10 years. I refuse to have a credit card because I can't handle one. I had one 10 years ago but cut it up. I use my sisters to buy stuff online because I make sure I pay it back ASAP before she gets charged interest.

When I moved 7 years ago I was within a week of having my car repossessed and having to declare bankruptcy - I was 23, **** scared but refused to have all I'd work damn hard for to be taken away and be left with nothing. When I moved I had nothing - no furniture, just my clothes and some pots and pans. Over the past 7 years I've furnished my house, paid for all my study, paid off my car and almost all my other debts.

For 3 years after I moved I did not have a social life. I went to work and I came home. I paid the rent, the bills, food and petrol. No movies, no dvds, no meals out, no clubbing - I sat on the couch by myself (with the dogs) for 3 years - I read a lot. I refuse to have things I don't need. I evaluate things in terms of 'will I die if I don't have it?'.

For the past 10 years I have worked multiple jobs - mostly 2 jobs at a time, last year I was working 4 jobs but I'm currently down to 3 jobs. I've done everything from cleaning to Avon, sometimes working 17 hours a day, 7 days a week. I do what I have to to keep a roof over my head.

I've finally got to the stage that I'm comfortable. I don't panic anymore about which bill can I string out the longest before they send final demand letters. I can usually get everything paid now before it's due. Mind you I'm about to start studying again furthering my massage skills so it could be a different story next week.

I just think there are lots more people way worse off then me - I don't have a mortgage for starters considering the average house price in the area I live is between $400-$500 000. Forking out half a million dollars for a house would give me a coronary (and I'd have to work 10 jobs or start selling drugs or do something else illegal or immoral to pay for it :eek:).

My sister and I are very much the same, we have slogged our guts out for everything we have for 1 reason. We grew up with nothing. My mother raised my 2 sisters and I by herself on a pension - everything we had was hand-me-downs or from St Vincent de Paul, no car (Mum can't drive), we didn't even get the phone connected until I was in high school. We grew up in the crappiest house in town which was demolished after I moved out 7 years ago (that's how bad it was). So, when you grow up with nothing and work damn hard for what you have, you'll be damned if anyone will take it away from you. So my sister and I have an incredible drive to succeed and keep what we have. Our other sister should have been born a boy - she'd be quite happy to live in a tent (no housework - her words not mine).

hi i am on 0% interest for now! thanks! i might try debt line, although i know theres not much i can do, im hardly in a terrible situation, i just need to control my spends and get more money down on my credit card. x

You have just said you need to control your spends so nows the time to take action. Your paying off your car loan plus having to run the car....ie insurance, tax, mot and repairs. Do you really need the car, if not sell it and pay off the loan or the credit cards. The money you will be saving will help to pay off the other debt quicker.

I am at the bones of my a**e, alot of us are hun ....like others have said you really need to work out a plan how to stop spending...budgeting, look on gmtv's website martin lewis...gives fantastic advice for all this...debt...credit card transferes etc....
GMTV - Deal with debt

thanks all for the replies, some great advice and i feel loads better! but im gonna close this thread now as i think it is a depressing thread!!! hehehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back