So, what have you learned this Christmas period?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzycat

Reaction score
This is my first year in a hair salon, which is much different to being in my home salon where all my home salon clients are friends of friends or relatives of friends etc and I have been quite spoiled in that I dont get any no shows and on the whole I usually get notice if clients cancel. So, since being in the hair salon that I rent a room for the past 7 or 8 weeks, this is my first christmas. I have been llucky in the fact that I am building a clientelle and the week before christmas was absolutely manic and I feel burned out lol, but I had quite a few no shows!. One client who had booked out 2 and a half hours cancelled half an hour before her appointment because she was christmas shopping! another cancelled because she was full of cold.

I have already decided that during the week up to next years Christmas I am going to take a 50% non refundable deposit (however, I think for genuine reasons like being ill etc, I will offer the deposit off a future treatment). Anyway I just wondered, what have you learned from this Christmas? Do you think that asking for 50% deposits will stop people from booking?

This is my first year in a hair salon, which is much different to being in my home salon where all my home salon clients are friends of friends or relatives of friends etc and I have been quite spoiled in that I dont get any no shows and on the whole I usually get notice if clients cancel. So, since being in the hair salon that I rent a room for the past 7 or 8 weeks, this is my first christmas. I have been llucky in the fact that I am building a clientelle and the week before christmas was absolutely manic and I feel burned out lol, but I had quite a few no shows!. One client who had booked out 2 and a half hours cancelled half an hour before her appointment because she was christmas shopping! another cancelled because she was full of cold.

I have already decided that during the week up to next years Christmas I am going to take a 50% non refundable deposit (however, I think for genuine reasons like being ill etc, I will offer the deposit off a future treatment). Anyway I just wondered, what have you learned from this Christmas? Do you think that asking for 50% deposits will stop people from booking?

Not at all. I thought asking for payment in full for all Christmas Eve appointments would put people off, hell no! It made sure I was getting paid if they turned up or not, and regardless of reasons I wouldn't have refunded if they didn't turn up. As it happened most felt strange not paying on the day and tipped generously.
Going shopping is no excuse, if she ever wants to book in again take a deposit with the reason "you went shopping last time and waisted 2 and a half hours of my time that could have gone to a client who actually wanted it" xoxo

I hope it doesn't stop people booking, because I'm going to take deposits next year. Especially for lash extensions as I had 2 full sets booked and neither of them showed, and then an eyebrow and lip wax didn't show, so that was almost 4 hours that could have gone to someone else. Thank goodness that wasn't Christmas Eve!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back