Solar Oil

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisy loo

Reaction score
Does anyone know if solar oil has any merit in helping with fungal nail infections? Thanks.

No, it will not treat fungal nail infections.
They ought to be treated as per Doctor's instrux.

Although, I will say that tea-tree oil helps with many of them.

No it doesnt. Fungal infections can only be treated with antifungal medications. You can find these in pill form thru your doctor, or in dropper form over the counter. OPI fungus fix works well. But u have to treat it months after the infection goes away in order to kill the spores. Visit my blog at the bottom of my signature and look for my Fungus blog. It'll tell you everything in more detail.

Goodluck luv!!

Keri Hemba
Social Agenda Salon
Jackson, MS USA
[email protected]
Visit my blog at
http://uniquenailsbykeri.blog.com

Find me Facebook!

No it doesn't...it would actually make it worse more than likely =/ Tammy taylor just released a new antifungal treatment that's supposed to be great, and she also has a product that is supposed to help prevent fungus (I think) but you're still probably best off seeking the advice of a physician.

There are many treatments on the market (Calcure from the Calgel range is one that hasn't been mentioned here), but a doctor really needs to be consulted to be absolutely sure that it is fungal - we are not qualified to offer a diagnosis. x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

These anti fungus treatments from product companies really piss me off big time. I think it gives out very bad and very misleading signals re nail enhancements and links enhancements in peoples minds with fungus :irked: :irked:

In all the years behind my nail table I only ever saw a true fungus on fingernails Twice! One was the result of a client wearing stick-ons with superglue for 2 years. The other was two thumbs on a pregnant lady who came into the salon and asked if we could do anything for her. Neither was a result of wearing nail enhancements.

I wouldn't dream of having a product like an anti-fungal treatment on show for sale in my salon.

These anti fungus treatments from product companies really piss me off big time. I think it gives out very bad and very misleading signals re nail enhancements and links enhancements in peoples minds with fungus :irked: :irked:

In all the years behind my nail table I only ever saw a true fungus on fingernails Twice! One was the result of a client wearing stick-ons with superglue for 2 years. The other was two thumbs on a pregnant lady who came into the salon and asked if we could do anything for her. Neither was a result of wearing nail enhancements.

I wouldn't dream of having a product like an anti-fungal treatment on show for sale in my salon.

I hate that you have to be so closed minded sometime Gigi. U give the best tips on gels and L&P. :) ::hug::

To clarify myself, We offer fungus treatments for walkins. People who have been shafted by a shabby salon and contracted toenail fungus do to improper sanitation. Only rarely have I ever seen fingernail fungus. It seems to be more prominent in toenails. My guess is the pedicure chairs not being cleaned properly. I unno. Im not talking about bacterial green spots. I mean real fungus. The kind that turns yellowish and causes the entire nail bed to lift. I do not perform services on clients such as these. I sell them some fabulous OPI Fungus Fix and refer them to a podiatrist.

I'm sorry if it pisses you off that a well known and respected company provides treatment options that are over the counter so these customers can treat and cure their infection without using pills. And while waiting on a doctor visit. We sell it because the infected person is more likely to use our salon after treatment due to our concerns and knowledge on prevention and over the counter treatments of fungus. Instead of just shooing them away like diseased cattle.

Just my lowly geekling opinion. Take it or leave it ::hug:: :)

Keri Hemba
Social Agenda Salon
Jackson, MS USA
[email protected]
Visit my blog at

Find me Facebook!

I hate that you have to be so closed minded sometime Gigi. U give the best tips on gels and L&P. :) ::hug::

To clarify myself, We offer fungus treatments for walkins. People who have been shafted by a shabby salon and contracted toenail fungus do to improper sanitation. Only rarely have I ever seen fingernail fungus. It seems to be more prominent in toenails. My guess is the pedicure chairs not being cleaned properly. I unno. Im not talking about bacterial green spots. I mean real fungus. The kind that turns yellowish and causes the entire nail bed to lift. I do not perform services on clients such as these. I sell them some fabulous OPI Fungus Fix and refer them to a podiatrist.

I'm sorry if it pisses you off that a well known and respected company provides treatment options that are over the counter so these customers can treat and cure their infection without using pills. And while waiting on a doctor visit. We sell it because the infected person is more likely to use our salon after treatment due to our concerns and knowledge on prevention and over the counter treatments of fungus. Instead of just shooing them away like diseased cattle.

Keri Hemba
Social Agenda Salon
Jackson, MS USA
[email protected]
Visit my blog at

Find me Facebook!

Hey, Keri, ... I'm not closed minded!!! :hug: I'm just expressing my opinion based on my own experience.

I can totally see why you may feel you have to offer thses products in the salon in the States. You have had much more problems and publicity about fungal infections from bad salons there than we have in the UK or Europe.

Really, the reason why I would not like to have fungal treatments on show is thst i do not want to highlight fungus next to nail enhancements.

As far as pedicures go, we wouldn't perform a pedicure on a person with a fungal infection. If someone came to the salon with a fungal infection, we would send them to the pharmacy as we are constantly told we are not allowed or qualified to diagnose or prescribe treatments ( even though we are often better at recognising and diagnosing these things than the local doctor).

I'm really not closed minded ... Opinionated maybe but I have an open mind. :hug:

Most treatments from nail suppliers only really offer treatments that may prevent or off some kind of ongoing sanitisation solution, a true fungus requires scrapings and cultures and is most often seen in feet ....... and really, a podiatrist should treat it.

I have seen some graphic damage in my time (and thought it to be fungal) only to find out it isn't.

Here is a picture of a client of mine who I was "SURE" she had a fungal ....but "NO", I've even included the culture results.

I treated this client by selling her a long soft bristled brush (and instructed her to gently scrub under the nail) to remove dead skin cells, so the nail could re-attach (if it's not clean underneath it will not re-attach) and 3 times a day with Listerine (basically alcohol and thymol) and in between with cuticle oil to soften the tissues.

It went, but every now and then it raises it's ugly head (this client is on so many medications (including cancer treatments) I can't even list them, she also has a form of neurofibromatosis.

I do what I can in a sanitary environment, but she is old and also has a colostomy bag and is blind as a bat ...... go figure, BUT IT AIN'T FUNGUS.

The pictures paint a thousand words.....

Sick Nails Pictures

BTW, she claims the whole thing started when she had her nails cleaned underneath with an e-file in an NSS salon

I never said that I perform services on clients with fungal infections. Nor did I say that I diagnose them :) I offer Fungus Fix as a treatment option. (that does work by the way. 90% of the clients do return say it's fab!).

I'm not a doctor. But I know what fungus looks like. We are drowning in NSS here in Mississippi (you know we Americans can value quick over quality sometimes). So toe fungus really is an epidemic around here. When a new client arrives and she has something that LOOKS like fungus, I sell them Fungus fix and refer them to a doctor. That's all. I haven't been wrong yet. :) but like I said. I never claim to diagnose the problem. I just offer treatments that work for customers who either know they have the infection and do not want to take pill medication or for people that need to be treated as they wait for a doctors appt.

Really sometimes these message boards can get a little off subject. :D I just suggested a treatment that my clients like and now I'm being accused of performing services on infected clients and posing as a doctor. LOL y'all are hilarious sometimes. :) ::hug::

Keri Hemba
Social Agenda Salon
Jackson, MS USA
[email protected]
Visit my blog at

Find me Facebook!

It's one thing to express an opinion, and quite another to be straight up rude!
There are a variety of ways one can choose to express their opinions, and yours are, to say the very least, OFFENSIVE.

Not only offensive, but presumptuous. You know what they say what happens when you "Assume"?....

I certainly don't treat clients with fungal infections like diseased cattle and I'm absolutely sure that a LADY such as Gigi doesn't either.
But the fact remains, 'fungal infections' ought to be treated by a Doctor.
AND a great deal of products out there DON'T do what they claim. This is a fact. Be it fungal treatments or cellulite cream.

You said yourself that you retail the product, then refer them to a PODIATRIST (this is a doctor, btw). So what are you saying? That even with use of your product they still need the attention of a Doctor and then they have to spend MORE money on a PRESCRIPTION?
So, if they still need the prescription, why retail the product to begin with?

Either you stand behind your product or you don't.

It's one thing to express an opinion, and quite another to be straight up rude!
There are a variety of ways one can choose to express their opinions, and yours are, to say the very least, OFFENSIVE.

Not only offensive, but presumptuous. You know what they say what happens when you "Assume"?....

I certainly don't treat clients with fungal infections like diseased cattle and I'm absolutely sure that a LADY such as Gigi doesn't either.
But the fact remains, 'fungal infections' ought to be treated by a Doctor.
AND a great deal of products out there DON'T do what they claim. This is a fact. Be it fungal treatments or cellulite cream.

You said yourself that you retail the product, then refer them to a PODIATRIST (this is a doctor, btw). So what are you saying? That even with use of your product they still need the attention of a Doctor and then they have to spend MORE money on a PRESCRIPTION?
So, if they still need the prescription, why retail the product to begin with?

Either you stand behind your product or you don't.

Wow honey, you need to calm down. I retail the product bc clients express their concerns about the pill form of medication affecting their liver. No one was being rude. If you took it that way then YOU are the one assuming.

Gigi if you took me as being rude I apologize bc that was not my intent. ::hug::

I know what a podiatrist is, honey. I have three on my client list that I can name off of the top of my head. And don't assume that I believe myself to b a doctor bc I never claimed to diagnose a fungal infection. That's y I refer them to a doctor. I just know what to look for and suggest alternate treatments to walkins that want to try other means of treatment that WORK. Many people don't like to take a liver test before taking medication. Believe what you want, babe. You don't have to use it. I was suggesting it to ANOTHER geek. Not you. I know it works well because I've seen it. Take my advice or leave it. We have free speech over here. :) Thanks :) have a blessed day! Hope your day gets better :) ::hug::

For the record OPI Fungus Fix is a liquid medication. Not a polish. Maybe that was the misunderstanding? Not sure but I'm sorry I offended you so much. Have a good day. :) ::hug::

Keri Hemba
Social Agenda Salon
Jackson, MS USA
[email protected]
Visit my blog at

Find me Facebook!

Wow honey, you need to calm down. I retail the product bc clients express their concerns about the pill form of medication affecting their liver. No one was being rude. If you took it that way then YOU are the one assuming.

Gigi if you took me as being rude I apologize bc that was not my intent. ::hug::

I know what a podiatrist is, honey. I have three on my client list that I can name off of the top of my head. And don't assume that I believe myself to b a doctor bc I never claimed to diagnose a fungal infection. That's y I refer them to a doctor. I just know what to look for and suggest alternate treatments to walkins that want to try other means of treatment that WORK. Many people don't like to take a liver test before taking medication. Believe what you want, babe. You don't have to use it. I was suggesting it to ANOTHER geek. Not you. I know it works well because I've seen it. Take my advice or leave it. We have free speech over here. :) Thanks :) have a blessed day! Hope your day gets better :) ::hug::

For the record OPI Fungus Fix is a liquid medication. Not a polish. Maybe that was the misunderstanding? Not sure but I'm sorry I offended you so much. Have a good day. :) ::hug::

Keri Hemba
Social Agenda Salon
Jackson, MS USA
[email protected]
Visit my blog at

Find me Facebook!

Keri, you WERE rude. Plain and simple. And made presumptive & generalized statements.
These are the statements I took to be rude:
  • I hate that you have to be so closed minded sometime Gigi.
  • I'm sorry if it pisses you off that a well known and respected company provides treatment options that are over the counter so these customers can treat and cure their infection without using pills
  • Instead of just shooing them away like diseased cattle.
It 'is' presumptious to assume Gigi, was close-minded (which infers that anyone in agreement with her statement is also). And it's presumptuous to assume with a generalized statement that any of us might shoo away a client like diseased cattle. You didn't clarify and simply made a broad statement. With the lack of clarity, you 'inferred' that 'I' am closed-minded AND I treat clients like diseased cattle BECAUSE I agree with Gigi. That IS offensive.
Also, any random person that googles and comes across this thread and reads that post might take it to mean that techs who DON'T offer altenative medicines are as you inferred.

If it wasn't your intent, then fine and apology accepted and thank you.:hug: But it was offensive none the less.

And telling me to 'calm down' when I am calm... again, rude.
I am calm. You'll KNOW when I'm not. You can trust that you will definately know.

I'm not against alternative medecines. If you search these forums, you'll find that I'm a big advocate for Tea-tree oil.
Particularly since I had my own sorry PERSONAL experience with a greenie when I slammed my nail falling UP the stairs and it lifted to the lunula. GIANT Onycholosis. Had a greenie trapped under there because it was moist. I did the DR route and it failed for me and wound up sorting it with Tea-tree oil SUCCESSFULLY.
So, YES, I see the value of it versus 'drugs' that frequently cause nasty side effects. I do, in fact, retail small bottles of Tea-tree oil for those that show up at my door with greenies from NSS.

While you might find comedy in people taking offense, I don't. The fact is this: on forums such as these we can't afford to make broad sweeping statements.
Why?
1- with the written word, forms of expression such as tone of voice, facial expression, etc are not available to 'express' the intent of the poster/writer SO much of the message is lost. So it's VERY important to be CLEAR about one's intent.
2- These are Professional forums with the intent of assisting and EDUCATING. We need to be clear and concise with the information we are sharing so as not to wrongly inform or misdirect those new to the industry, or simply less informed.

As for free speech, no one is suggesting you can't express yourself. Only that you might choose to re-read your post - consider it from another's perspective, and clarify any broad sweeping statements before hitting the submit button.

And my name is not Babe or Honey.
It's Victoria.

ps: my day is just fine, btw. Again, presumptive on your part.

Wow everyone :) calm down.... We are all nail techs hear. I know I love to come to this site to see new or learn about new things. So personally I love when others suggest things that work for them. No we will not all agree or we just like our own products we use ourselves and don't have a open mind to trying "new" products for whatever reason. But if we don't like what product or service someone is offering why even bother saying anything. Just put what you like to use according to topic and not attack others if you don't agree with the product they list in these forums. It is sad to see the bickering when we all do the same line of work. Have a great day y'all! Xoxo

I only state what I personally DO.

Because I said I don't treat people with a fungal infection does not imply that Keri or anyone else DOES. Just that I don't.

I can perfectly understand (as I said) why someone else other than myself would sell 'fung off' or 'fungus away' or 'fungus begone' or whatever ... just that I don't.

What I do does not mean that your choice is wrong .. only that it is not my choice OK?

I think Keri is fab! :hug: Do what you think is right for you.

Last edited:
As I'm a new person to this forum, I am fairly discussed by the language and accusing that is going on here. I was under the impression that this was a place that PROFESSIONALS come to, to assist and support other professionals.

Just in case I am misunderstood:
I bear no ill-will to Keri. I'm sure she's very nice and I have no personal issue with her.
I was simply offended by a choice of wording, and expressed my opinion that it was offensive (freedom of speech and all that).
A 'feeling' can't be wrong. While there may be a misunderstandings, we can't invalidate a person's feelings and if we slight them; then even if we didn't intend to offend we should still apologize.
It happens to the best of us, myself included.

The thing of it is this, other than what I already previously stated; we are a mix of cultures AND languages, and personalities on these forums. it is VERY easy for one to misundstand another and take offense where none is intended when statements are broad or unclear. Everyone has different styles of communication and varying personalities.
That makes it particularly important to be 'clear' in one's meaning.

All that said, if 'I' tossed an insult that I didn't intend, then I apologize as well. None of us are innocent in making mistakes when communicating.

BUT I am also guilty of enjoying a strong debate. Sometimes my writing comes across more 'intent' than intended. That's me.

blah blah blah, ok, hopping off my podium now.:lol:

PS: I'm also guilty and known for jumping up in defense if I 'feel' that one of my geeky mates have been trod upon. KEEPING in mind... were it not for these same geeky mates, I would NOT be the tech that I am today. I owe a GREAT DEAL to them.

As I'm a new person to this forum, I am fairly discussed by the language and accusing that is going on here. I was under the impression that this was a place that PROFESSIONALS come to, to assist and support other professionals.
One thread does not a community make!
Passions run high in our industry. :green:
If you don't understand that then you don't understand our industry.

No one is accusing and we all consider ourselves professionals.

You have made 3 posts ... I have been a member since the inception of this site and have made 20,000posts .. Victoria has made nearly half of that amount.. don't be too quick to judge members that you do not know.

One thread does not a community make!
Passions run high in our industry. :green:
If you don't understand that then you don't understand our industry.

No one is accusing and we all consider ourselves professionals.

You have made 3 posts ... I have been a member since the inception of this site and have made 20,000posts .. Victoria has made nearly half of that amount.. don't be too quick to judge members that you do not know.

WOW!!! I have a big mouth:!:

:lol::lol:

Latest posts

Back