Someone Please? Advice needed.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ch4rli3

Reaction score
Ok, so im not a hair geek but a skin geek and was just wondering if any of u experts culd giv me sum advice?!!
:confused:
I used 2 have longish hair but its very fine so I opted 4 Racoon Hair extensions. I had these in for 4 months in which i had maintenance on them every 2 - 3 wks.
After having them removed my hair was so dead and even finer that I decided to have it cut into a short angled bob (not sure what u call it)
This was last Feb I had it cut and to be honest its hardly grown!! Its at an awful length and is very dry at the ends even thou I have it cut every 6wks!
To add to problems I have my hair highlighted with Bleach every 6wks. (I prefer bleach to a colour as colour tends to go coppery in my hair!)
I no bleaching is prob not the ideal thing for my hair but I really dont want to switch to havin a colour.
What is the best thing i can use on my hair to help repair damage and help it to grow??:confused:

graduated bobs grow out of shape very quick but untill the layers grow down they tend to jus trim the length to keep it tidy untill the shorter layers catch up. so jus make sure ur stylist know you are growing the style out and are jus maintaining the cut whilst it grows and not cutting it back in everytime. . as for ur colour, have u tried using a highlift tint that has ash in it. . 12/1, 12/11 pr even 12/11 mixed wit 12/89 all wella colours come up very blonde and the ash shud prevent it going coppery, it is alot kinder to hair. . as for the damage, using heavy conditioners arent the best for fine hair as it can weigh it down, for my bleached highlights in my fringe i use a spray we have used at the salon before, not our usual brand but i suggested it and we took it in, its by fudge and it is a leave in reconstructor called one shot. . . jus spray it befor eu dry it . . another ace product is a deep reconstructor (dont confuse with conditioner), its by tigi and its called Chocolate head, just shampp hair as normal and then apply this oil into ur towel dried hair and leave for 5 minutes and rinse out then follow with ur normal conditioner. . .i hope this helps. . x

Hi scottydolly, thanks 4 that info!
My hairdresser does no that im growing out the graduated bob and for the first few times she just trimmed it to help the layers grow out, now she has sort of re styled it and it is not the same shape as the bob (thank god!I hated the bob!)
I was under the impression a thick heavy conditioner would help my hair and buy every1 i see and try them all! Lol, no wonder they r not working!!
I shall have to try a deep reconstructor like u suggested! I hav used fudge products b4 and found them good!
Thanku again!! xx

no probs, dont get me wrrong deep conditioners are good, jus many of them leave fine hair a bit flat haha. . x

Oh dear , I am sorry to hear about your experience with hair extensions I am really surprised that the extensions made your hair thin
that should never have happened :confused:,

did you go back to the salon and ask them why this happened ?

Perhaps you should go back and let them check out your hair ,

as for it bieng dry and dead I can't see the extensions doing that ,
but it could have been due to having too much colour or bleach on it ,
another reason is if is the hairdresser taking the bleach through to the ends each time ,
if so,
this can dry it out loads and cause it to be over processed
and breakage can occur,

:hug: x minky

Hi minky, my hairdresser doesnt take the bleach to the ends everytime, only really does the roots?!
My hair was quite fine before having extensions but since havin them it has become finer! The extensions seemed to tug on my hair and actually caused me to develop scabs and sores at the root?! Not sure why! I did spk 2 the man who did them and he said it was normal and occured due to the weight from the bonds?! Is this true??
I have also had a baby, 7months ago(1yr after having extensions!) and I understand this probably has a bad effect on my hair. My hair did thicken up whilst pregnant but just looks a rite mess since havin my son!
I hav thought about goin bk 2 the hairdresser that did my extensions but feel its prob 2 long ago for him 2 care.
I have to say thou it hasnt put me off havin extensions again, I would love 2 hav them , at the moment thou its just an expense I cannot afford!

The extensions seemed to tug on my hair and actually caused me to develop scabs and sores at the root?! Not sure why! I did spk 2 the man who did them and he said it was normal and occured due to the weight from the bonds?! Is this true??
I have also had a baby, 7months ago(1yr after having extensions!)

If he said that it was due to the weight of the bonds then this is not right at all ,
it sounds like there was far too much bonding product used
or too much extension hair put in the bond , as you should never had suffered from any scabs :eek:
perhaps you had an allergic reaction to the glue ?
or did the bonds pull or rub on your scalp or dig in ?

at first maybe a little tenderness perhaps for the fist week where you get used to sleeping with them in ect , but scabs no

the natural hair and bonded hair should be of the same equal proportion so it can hold the weight of the extensions comfortably without any tension spots
as tension can cause traction alopecia,

which means basically it pulls your hair out due to the uneven weight distribution,
eg, like threading a conker with a piece of cotton lol x , it would never hold ,

anyway I don't think you would get anywhere unless you had some evidence or proof of the scabs and pics of before and after ,

plus the fact that you have since been though child birth and as you know your hair can suffer from thinning out quite a lot ,this would muddle things up for you making it more difficult to prove ,

I do think the extensions were not put in correctly to start with,

but your hair should now start to recover and grow thicker and stronger from now on ,
I am glad you have a good hairdresser now

good luck :hug: minky

I would say there was prob more extension than own hair to each bond! the first week my hair was fine and only slightly uncomfortable 2 sleep on but as time went on my scalp became more uncomfortable and sore.
Is it also correct that with extensions u shed lots and lots of hair?! I used 2 find it everywhere!!
I wuldnt say my hairdresser is v.gud now 2b honest! I think its hard 2 fins any in my area!!
Thank u 4 ur advice! x

I am by no means a hair geek but can tell you of my experience after having 2 children. My son is 15 months and daughter in 3yrs, and when both were around 4 months my hair was falling out in clumps. It is something that happens to some people after childbirth.....some say you only ever loose the hair you gained during pregnancy....may be for some but not with me. Luckily I have quite thick hair, but even so i still lost alot and even had some bald patches. It only lasted a few months (but felt like forever) and it grew back....slowly.... but it did.
May be you have had this happen to you....but have put it down to the extensions...or may be if the extensions were put in incorrectly they have not helped alongside this.
HTH's

Hi Sian..... I have not got any baldness!! Just quite fine hair. I had extensions over a yr before fallin pregnant. Once the extensions were removed my hair was in a bad state and never totally recovered. Since havin my son my hair is just very fine! and dry! Just need something to help it recover xxx

ok...just wanted to tell u of my experience...not everyone gets baldness....my friends for instance just thinned out alot. It sounded like you had the same sort of thing from what you described.
Hope you get it sorted hun....obviously a hair geek would be able to help you out alot more than me, lol.

Is it also correct that with extensions u shed lots and lots of hair?! I used 2 find it everywhere!!

Hi again ,
extensions can shed quite a lot with the glue gun method
but thats the norm with those type of bonds ,

if it was overly excessive it can also be due to the glue not penetrating right the way through to the middle bits of hair which bond the extension hair and your own together ,
this creates a space in the middle where the hair can shed too much,

but as I didn't see it, I would only be guessing at the problem

good luck anyways , minky :hug: x

Latest posts

Back