Sooo discouraged...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystiq Jade

Reaction score
I've been a nail tech for almost two years now, and finally decided to make the jump to be a nail technician full time. I love doing nails, and I know it's what I want to do. But the income is just not coming in... I'm on my second month and am finding that I'm arguing with my husband over money more than anything. He's very supportive, but I can understand the stress of all the bills being on him...
What kept all you techs going to getting to the point of being successful??
I'm completely losing hope...

Im so sorry to hear that your business is not going to well and that it is causing stress between you and your husband. Im assuming you made the decision together so how about sitting down again and looking over the current financial situation.

I would suggest that perhaps you need to decide on a plan together so that you both have the same expectations, set some targets and a time frame and an agreed course of action if you can not make the targets. It is amazing how clear things can become and how determined you can get when you have an "Actual" to work to. Having a plan should help motivate you and will also hopefully put your husbands mind at rest.

In saying that, I dont think two months is a terribly long time and I congratulate you for giving it a go. I wish you well and hope that things pick up for you soon.

I agree with rebeccaj, in that 2 months is not enough time to give your business a chance to reap a decent financial return.

When I set up my first nail business a few years ago, I had fully recouped all the money that went into my business after just one year. One year and that was considered very good at the time. That was before making any profit over my outgoings.

You also need to remember that the credit crunch is likely to hamper any new business chance of growing right now.

Have you looked at how you are marketing yourself? Brochures drops door to door, at gyms, hairdressers etc....? Yellow pages free ad? Introductory offers to encourage people through the door? School fayers and pamper evenings where you charge a minimal price but get your services out there in the public domain?

If you really, really, really love nails, then persevere. Have a chat with hubby and decide a course of action which does not have to cost you loads of money. HTH x

Hi Hun,
Are you salon, home or mobile?
It will be very tough which ever way you have gone. The credit crunch is hitting every type of business.
If you are home based, then hopefully you can let it build up, but if you have salon expenses, then you will have to get out there and shout it from the rooftops.
Would your local paper do an editorial on you, they like to take a piccy and tell a nice story, worth a try.
Best of luck.
Lotsa luv x :hug:

It is going to be a hard slog for the first year or even two. Better expect that and go with it and agree to go with it ... if it hasn't picked up in the first year then something is wrong ... you, your salon location, your accounting or the economic climate.

Funnily enough the best nail salons are reporting to me that they are not seeing a slow down in business. There is still a call for the best techs. If you are not one of them then it is going to be hard to compete.

You will have to:
  • Be very honest about yourself and your abilities AND
  • keep a very close eye on your expenditure.
  • Don't buy unnecessary things that will not enhance your business (this is one of the most stupid things that nai techs do).
  • Do not spend the money you make but put it back into your business so that it is not a drain on your husband's finances either.
  • Spend your income on your core products
  • Retail to your clients like mad (revenue for doing nothing really ... the best kind of revenue in my opinion :lol:)

This is actually good busines advice for any technician for every day. The biggest stupidity I see is techs spending for things that they want to play with but that do not enhance their business ............ you now what I mean.

Keep going. Get out there every spare minute you have with leaflets, business card and promotional material.
ANYONE who asks you where you got your nails done, ANYONE who admirers your nails - give them a business card with your details/promotion/discount on.
Have a word with your husband and set realistic goals for the two of you, he may not like it but you WILL get there it just takes time.
Have a search for advertising ideas - I like branded t-shirts something obvious like Nails by ___ and tel no.
Also if you work mobile try and get some salon work and vice versa.

All in all stay focused and enjoy this learning experience

Thank you all for your advice and well wishes! It is definitely appreciated to have a positive push when trying to get into this industry. I agree 2 months isn't very long.

I keep telling myself, in order to succeed, one must suffer a bit at the beginning.

I have a set up at home & I'm presently renting a spot from a salon that has been open since February. It's a tropical spa and it's quite a unique looking place as well. Slowly, there are customers coming in, and the good thing is when they have a sit down for a regular manicure, they see my list of gel nails services. So it usually piques their interest. So I'm hoping people will be coming in more and more...
The spa has been doing quite a bit of publicity. But the ownder does a lot of promoting where most of the work we do, is pretty much almost working for free (manicure/pedicure wise).

If anyone wants to check it out: SpaBoraBora

GEEG-- I am so guilty of what you've mentioned... buying products you want to play with, but don't bring in the income. I thank you for saying it bluntly. :)
I'm putting a strong hold on my purchasing, and concentrating on my core items.
You mentioned retailing is a good option... I've started to put out sample sized bottles of lotions... but what are real good sellers when it comes to the hand/feet industry?

I've sat down and spoken to my hubby about our financial situation, and he's still stressed, but a bit more understanding. We're both anxious to reap the benefits of my business!!

GEEG-- I am so guilty of what you've mentioned... buying products you want to play with, but don't bring in the income. I thank you for saying it bluntly. :)
I'm putting a strong hold on my purchasing, and concentrating on my core items.
You mentioned retailing is a good option... I've started to put out sample sized bottles of lotions... but what are real good sellers when it comes to the hand/feet industry.

So are most nail technicians ... that's how I know!! :lol:

Start with the things you use (and have he stock to back it up) and that they NEED. Don't be trying to push things they do not need for home care. Look at your clients: Dry skin? recommend a good hand and body lotion like the CND Scentsations or Solar Oil cuticle oil.

It helps to stock the best and things that really do work, otherwise clients loose their trust in you. CND products do what they say they do and you can have complete confidence in that which helps to sell them. Solve clients' problems with a product choice. For nail care ... files and buffers polishes etc. Dry cracked heels? CND cucumber heel therapy.

Enthuse as you use the products and they sell themselves.

Latest posts

Back