South of London Salaries for Hairstylists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose143

Very Proud Creative Geek
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

I'm not a hairstylist at all, I'm a nail tech and future salon owner.

I'm just doing some research on how much people in the south of England get paid. I would really like to hear about your different pay structures, whether you're a hair salon owner yourself or an employee of one.

I am looking at buying some books from Habia as they mention great incentives and pay structures etc but I just wanted to get a feel for what's out there first.

I would appreciate any info you can give me as this is very important to me! :hug: Thanks for your help!

xxxx

You could rent out the chair(s) and take a % of the takings.

Thanks Chris I have thought of that but then I think, how would that affect my good reputation as they don't actually work for me so i can't really control how they run their business can I? They would have their routine and I would have mine, not so?

xxxx

but if you are the salon owner and have a contract etc..... then surely you do have some say hunnio?

Thanks Chris I have thought of that but then I think, how would that affect my good reputation as they don't actually work for me so i can't really control how they run their business can I? They would have their routine and I would have mine, not so?

xxxx

This thread may help http://www.salongeek.com/business/52329-boothrental-agreement.html . Obviously we don't have licensing in most parts of the UK, but it gives you an idea that they are still contracted to work there under your rules.

Yes you do as a salon owner have quite a bit of control. The only thing you cannot not dictate to the BR's is the hours they work, the amount they charge for services rendered and How they do their services.
I have a dress code (within reason)
and rules and regs of how the salon with be maintained and how I want everyone to act (professionally).And how I wish the salon to look. No junking up the mirrors with your baby/family pics. They are in a frame on the station.
I have a system in my contract that states offenses and it is a 3 strikes you are out. I have no problem with this either and the BR's respect it. I try to get a "Team" attitude with the BR's.
The Problem lies with the attitude of the BR. You will experience those who have the mentality of " I am a independent small business owner, I can do what I want !!" :smack:
Not true if they are working under your salon name. And this is what you must convey to them.

I have 7 BR's that 6 of them have been working at the salon for 4 years or more.

Thanks JD and Sassy for your replies, very helpful.

Is this then how most hairdressers are employed? Renting a chair?

This really isn't the route I want to go and the reason for the thread is that I am currently interviewing for hairdressers and I want to see if their expected salaries are the going rate or not.

The renting of chairs hasn't come up in the interviews as of yet from the applicants but if that's the route I have to go then I will.

So if any of you have an idea of hourly rate that would be most helpful.

xxxx

Hi rose, I am from the states so cannot give you info on wage and salaries.

And from other discussions I have had with UK hair Peeps, chair rental isn't as popular over there as it is here.

Have you tried ringing up other salons and asking?

Hi
I am studing at the moment and I will rent in the future. If you work for someone, you will get paid so little that it is better to rent out. I think that quite a few hairdressers would like to rent a chair unless they get the job offer from high street salon which usually has good prospects in self development wise. Could you offer to your empoyees courses that they could take and potentially become a bit of a stars? As a future hairdresser that would be my first question
:)

Hi
I am studing at the moment and I will rent in the future. If you work for someone, you will get paid so little that it is better to rent out. I think that quite a few hairdressers would like to rent a chair unless they get the job offer from high street salon which usually has good prospects in self development wise. Could you offer to your empoyees courses that they could take and potentially become a bit of a stars? As a future hairdresser that would be my first question
:)

I do offer further training for all my employees that I am more than willing to pay for. I do pay very well I think :eek: One of my employees receives 50% of her net profit. Is that good or bad?

xxxx

Hi Rose.
I rent a treatment room in a hairdressers and they work on 30% commission on services and an extra 10% on retail or national minimum wage if their takings are below this. They employ assistants (to keep the salon tidy, do shampooing and treatments) that are doing their NVQ, a trainer comes in reguarly to assess them as they are training you do not have to pay them very much. This is a huge chain of hairdressers and their pay structure for staff is the same and for all levels of stylists/ colourists counrywide. They do offer extra training for the stylists if they want it. The commission is worked out after tax has been taken from their gross earnings.
Hope that helps a little.

Carrie

Latest posts

Back