Speaking Spanish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydollmama

Reaction score
Have any of you started to learn a language and then found you can only go so far with it because you don't live in that particular country or know anyone else that speaks it???

I learnt Spanish a few years ago and now I feel it's just going to waste and I desperately want to keep it alive. I'm attempting to teach it as a second language to my 4 year old but other than that have you got any suggestions of how I can keep my Spanish going before I forget it all?

I think it is a brilliant idea teaching your daughter. Could you not advertise to teach holiday Sapnish to peeps to help you keep it going

You can try to find spanish people willing to chat on msn or another chat... I often chat with you guys to keep my english running.. lol

I am starting a spanish course in Januray so if you want to chat to me (& help me along the way!) that would be great ! :)

I qualified in British Sign Language a few years ago and because I didn't know anyone deaf at the time I've almost forgotton it!!
Doesn't Dora the explorer teach children Spanish, that should influence your daughter further too.

what about listening to spanish radio through the net.

Thats what my spanish teacher said to do, as you get to grips with it more as you get used to listening to it, so you pick more up.

I am in a simular situation. I studied it for 3 years but gave up last year cos I started to do nails and other things. Also it was more difficult to get babysitting duties covered. I really miss it :cry: and I am paranoid I am going to forget what I learned. I keep promising I will put on the spanish cd I have for my computor but instead I find myself logging onto the nail geek so how ironic is it that this thread appeared.:lol:

I would also like to get my son archie who is 5 interested in learning. He does watch Dora and Diego on Nickjr. This helps

You could buy spanish cds for your computer and also for your car where you could both listen in and repeat. Also what about checking out teacher training colleges.

Ah thank you so much for your replies, some great suggestions and a big help!!

My son is actually really keen to learn which i'm so relieved at (especially as he's getting welsh pushed at him in school, I really feel strongly that spanish is his second language) And my little girl is only 9 months so i'm already starting with her just talking in both languages (my spanish is far from perfect btw)

If any of you are learning I would love to chat so thanks for the offers and I think I will get a load of cd's for the car.

Dora and Diego are fab, and it's easy to learn little phrases which they remember like 'yum yum yum delicioso!!'

Are there any spanish channels on sky or does anyone know of any spanish radio stations? One thing I have found helpful is reading 'hola' the spanish version of 'hello' mag.

Thanks again everyone xxx

Reading newspapers is a good way of practicing too, El Mundo is a national newspaper online...
elmundo.es. Líder mundial de información en castellano

Before we moved we started learning with cd roms but found when we got here that the pronunciation was all wrong, a lot of them seem to teach in South American Spanish as opposed to Spain Spanish, if you know what I mean.
The pronunciation is different between the two, especially the 'ci' 'ce' and 'z'.

I'll find you some links to radio stations :wink2:

Kiss FM - scroll down to the bottom left to listen live.

Los Cuarenta Principales - to listen live click the icon on the top right hand side where you see the number 40.

hth's

Thank you so much Sandi, I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. Yeah, I've done a course in latin american spanish as well so I know about the pronounciation differences but i'll take what I can get!!

Thanks again x

Hi there,
I am spanish speaker from central america, whenever you want to chat or ask for any advise, i am wellcome to help you. [email protected] you can sign in and bienvenida a chatear.
saludos,
Latin

Hi there,
I am spanish speaker from central america, whenever you want to chat or ask for any advise, i am wellcome to help you. [email protected] you can sign in and bienvenida a chatear.
saludos,
Latin

Aw thank you hun, I've emailed you and will definitely take you up on that! x

Hello,
Spanish is my first languarge and I've been speaking english for 15yrs the way I helped myself to learn and practice english was by watching TV shows and reading lots of books and magazines. I think you can do the same thing to practice your spanish.
We speak to our son in english and spanish he is 2 1/2 and is picking them up really well.
My hotmail is [email protected] if you feel like chatting in spanish.

Buena Suerte
Chao:)

I am starting Spanish lessons tomorrow as we have just bought a Villa near Murcia. It won't be ready for about 12 months but I want to learn as much as I can beforehand. we are hoping to move out there fairly soon after. Excited but scared at the same time. I have 3 young boys and its mainly them I am worried about. Everyone says that children pick up the language in no time.

Thank you hun, I really didn't expect to get so much help from this thread, you're all so sweet!

I'm gonna put the spanish radio on every day and hopefully the kids will pick up stuff also without even realising they are learning!

Latest posts

Back