Speeding up my prep time?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planky1

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi all,

I don't think from reading other threads on here that I am particularly slow as such but I do think my prep time could be cut right down.

I use a double ended cuticle chisel and I adore it!! It gets off so much cuticle but I find that this is definitely slowing me down, as I am so meticulous when using it, coupled with the fact it gets off so much more, that I am spending quite a bit of time on each nail, making sure it's thoroughly tidy and clear and every scrap of cuticle has gone. This is particularly around the eponychium and sidewalls, which I then use my curette for too.

I also have the double ended pushie (pushie one end and thicker chisel the other, which I don't actually like the chisel end on that one) and have only used this a couple of times, as compared to the chisel, I feel like it's not actually doing anything and IMO isn't getting anywhere near the same amount of cuticle off the nail plate as the chisel does.

I have prided myself that clients so far, have had no lifting or chipping issues and their Shellac is lasting fantastically well. I feel this has been down to how much cuticle I have been able to remove by using the chisel.

But this is really slowing me down. However, my concern, is if I start to use the pushie to speed up, then there will start to be issues as cuticle will be left on the nail plate.

Which tools do you use and does the pushie get off enough cuticle in your experience? As obviously I could just use this, which will push the cuticles back at the same time and this will speed things up greatly.

I use the double ended pushie and curette from s2. I love them both and think they do an amazing job. Chisels scare the hell out of me, bad experience in the past from another tech using one on me so I refuse to use them.

I find my pushie and curette do the job really well, I'm always amazed how much cuticle comes away with them.

I prefer to do a dry pep for shellac but I do use cuticle away occasionally, especially on new clients. To speed me up with the CA I file the nails on one hand, apply ca, go onto next hand for filing then apply ca. I find by then its done its job on the first hand so can do the cuticle work then go onto second. I use the same method for the toes

xxx

Prep time is also something I want to speed up on. I also need to get better nail files. I use a 240 from Creative but it wa a big multi pack and not the branded one, I think the CND branded 240s are a bit more user friendly as I find my current files are very bendy.

Some clients are so quick because you can see they look after their nails but sometimes when you get someone with really thick eponychium it's hard to make it look better and that's when I'm itching to get the nippers out. I have mostly stopped nipping, only for anything that's standing up but a few people have commented and asked why I'm not taking that little white ledge off. I do explain and tell them it's not meant to be removed and what their home care should be.
I like the tip on filing, apply CA, file other nails etc...I'm going to do that.

I use the double ended pushie and curette from s2. I love them both and think they do an amazing job. Chisels scare the hell out of me, bad experience in the past from another tech using one on me so I refuse to use them.

I find my pushie and curette do the job really well, I'm always amazed how much cuticle comes away with them.

I prefer to do a dry pep for shellac but I do use cuticle away occasionally, especially on new clients. To speed me up with the CA I file the nails on one hand, apply ca, go onto next hand for filing then apply ca. I find by then its done its job on the first hand so can do the cuticle work then go onto second. I use the same method for the toes

xxx

Oh see I adore my chisel. I barely use any pressure at all and it gently glides over the nail lifting all the cuticle off as it goes. Love it!! But makes me "too" thorough I think.

I only do dry pep so tip on CA is excellent but I rarely use it, will definitely do this if I do though. Maybe I'll just have to give the pushie a go on one of my clients who I know has their Shellac last well and see what happens....:eek:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I was only thinking about this last night after I'd spent far too long with a client. To be fair, I was doing her wedding nails so was being extra meticulous and we had a couple of interruptions but i still felt like I spent far too long on her PEP. I was taking forever over filing her nails to make sure that each free edge was perfect and I did the same cuticle work as you do, Claire. I know that I can do it quicker because I've done it plenty of times in the past but on some occasions I can't help but be over cautious which then takes more time.

i had a new client last night who said i was much more thorough throughout treatment(soak off and french bio overlays), she said i did more prep, spent longer on white tip and after last layer i re did side walls where previous tech hadnt done side walls and she could feel bits of gel on her skin.

when she arrived the overlays that were on were all lifting at cuticles so i think as long as we are not being excessive with prep and are doing a good job that lasts then its worth it xx

I, too, spend so much time PEPing prior to Shellac application. Almost all my Shellac clients do have lots of cuticle even when they return in three weeks the over grown cuticules require as much attention.

I would love to be able to improve my speed.

x

I, too, spend so much time PEPing prior to Shellac application. Almost all my Shellac clients do have lots of cuticle even when they return in three weeks the over grown cuticules require as much attention.

I would love to be able to improve my speed.

x

Snap! Even my client who is obsessed with her solar oil is coming back each week and there's still just as much work to be done :confused:

Right, well I'm going to try my pushie on a client tonight and my client tomorrow and see if it speeds me up but still lasts ok.

Oh and Andrea, I'm like that with filing too, I sometimes wonder if I'm a bit too anal for this job as I have such OCD tendencies!! :lol:

My pep has definitely sped up recently, for me its a lot to do with confidence as well.

I always use cuticle away, unless i have a regular client who comes to me every 2 weeks, but there are exceptions to a couple of my ladies who have alot of cuticle build up (like me actually) who i need to ca each 2 week appt.

I used to file and shape all ten nails then cuticle away, but now i file shape one nail then apply CA and continue like this for each nail- i find this helps lift cuticle a loy quicker as its been 'working' that little longer, thus my pep is sped up.

I recently attended a nail course which supplied a new mani tool which i personally like better than my original tools i purchased from s2 for my course. I was taught with the thicker chisel in my cnd course and liked it but love this new tool even more. My pep is just as thorough and my times are down yay :)

X x x

Heres a couple of pics of my tool, when i say new, i mean new to me lol! Its like a shallower pushie and the other end is a bit knife like (though not sharp) and great for the sidewalls.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346334402.031463.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346334402.031463.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 306
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346334426.971022.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1346334426.971022.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 304
Maybe I'll go back to CA then, just worried about having moisture left behind in the sidewalls and then service breakdown occurring...

Hi all,

I don't think from reading other threads on here that I am particularly slow as such but I do think my prep time could be cut right down.

I use a double ended cuticle chisel and I adore it!! It gets off so much cuticle but I find that this is definitely slowing me down, as I am so meticulous when using it, coupled with the fact it gets off so much more, that I am spending quite a bit of time on each nail, making sure it's thoroughly tidy and clear and every scrap of cuticle has gone. This is particularly around the eponychium and sidewalls, which I then use my curette for too.

I also have the double ended pushie (pushie one end and thicker chisel the other, which I don't actually like the chisel end on that one) and have only used this a couple of times, as compared to the chisel, I feel like it's not actually doing anything and IMO isn't getting anywhere near the same amount of cuticle off the nail plate as the chisel does.

I have prided myself that clients so far, have had no lifting or chipping issues and their Shellac is lasting fantastically well. I feel this has been down to how much cuticle I have been able to remove by using the chisel.

But this is really slowing me down. However, my concern, is if I start to use the pushie to speed up, then there will start to be issues as cuticle will be left on the nail plate.

Which tools do you use and does the pushie get off enough cuticle in your experience? As obviously I could just use this, which will push the cuticles back at the same time and this will speed things up greatly.

Firstly, excellent thread so thank you Planky1. I too have pep time issues
& I get stressed if I feel I'm taking too long.

I have had quite a few new clients recently who have previously had Shellac elsewhere but have had issues with not lasting etc and they are most surprised with my thorough pep. I have been very happy when they return for remove & reapplication there has been no service breakdown.

I mostly do wet pep so use cuticle away and pushie followed by curette.

I know I have to speed up but don't want to compromise the pep & risk service breakdown.

Look forward to reading everybody's
view on this thread & tips on how to speed up.

I, too, take a long time. BUT..I had a client last night who was quite thankful because of it... She and I got talking and she told me that all her previous sets (done by one specific tech) always lifted within 2 days and were able to be pulled off in under a week. So, this is why she decided to try someone else and when she saw all the prep work I was doing, she was shocked.. She was very happy that I had taken the time to thoroughly prep as she was getting really sick of her enhancements never lasting!

I definitely think I can improve also though.*I'm a fairly new tech and am averaging about 2.5 hours right now.. I know it's long, but I take my time during prep and sculpting and make sure i've done everything right. I know speed will come eventually!

I use my Pushie and then Curette and I know I could be quicker, but for my own peace of mind I continue with being PEP obsessed! So far so good though.

When I did my Shellac class I used my EA's chisel and it was amazing and got so much off, so can see why it takes longer! I ordered one afterwards but have been a bit hesitant to use it though. Maybe I'll use it on myself a few times first. I can't give you anything comparing it to the pushie though, as I have not used the pushie on my model that had the chisel work.

Have you retailed Cuticle Eraser for the client to use in between appointments? It may help in that there will be less to remove at the next appointment, then you could continue with your Pushie.

Heres a couple of pics of my tool, when i say new, i mean new to me lol! Its like a shallower pushie and the other end is a bit knife like (though not sharp) and great for the sidewalls.

Mine is like this but Gold! I find it easier to use aswell, although my CND tools are always with me too especially for really stubborn cuticles.

My usual Shellac Mani takes me 55 mins. I know I could work faster but I'm lucky that I'm not under pressure, nor do I need to speed up particularly so I choose not to.
To me, If it ain't broke....don't fix it!
My clients love the fact I take an hour! They see it as meticulous work and always say how they love that I take so much care and how they enjoy the whole Salon experience.
I appreciate that I could earn more money by cutting my time down, but I'm happy...and my client's are happy :).

Yes I'm about an hour, hour and fifteen to an hour and a half if a re-shellac, depending on level of cuticle work needed.

I will look into Cuticle eraser as no, I don't stock or retail that at the moment.

Thanks for all your help guys, I will see if tonight's appointment is sightly faster :wink2:

Great thread Planky :)

I take 45 mins for a new Shellac and 1 hour for a Re do but if I havent seen the client I always book out and hour just incase their cuticles need a lot of work, if I push myself I could do it in 30 mins but I like to be meticulous.

I always use my pushie and then curette and would love t be able to cut my time down. I would be happy with 45 each time but as soon as one persons 5 minutes late it knocks you over again!

I have just started to trail cuticle eraser, would like more tips on successful retailing :)

Once you've put the cuticle away on each nail then use your pushie to spread the product around the nail. Then instead of spending 10mins on one nail been extra meticulous, do a little bit on each nail, then by the time you've done nail one it gives the cuticle away more time to work so it will make the remaining cuticle come off easier! Does that make sense?

Yes it makes sense Amelia, that's what I do on toes. :)

How much CA do you use do you use one blob in middle and spread around or apply it the whole way round?

Latest posts

Back