Spitting Mad!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
Good morning all! It is a good one now but I was spitting mad earlier!

I had a bridal client booked this morning for her trial. When she didn't arrive, I phoned her only to be told that she had left me a message a week ago on my mobile phone. I never received it and I've checked. She said she was suspicious when I never called her back and had thought of ringing me up yesterday. So why didn't she?:rolleyes: What's more she has my home number too!:irked:

She decided to go elsewhere because her bridesmaids want a specific brand of make-up which I don't offer. Who's wedding is it anyway? Fair enough, but I have had her booked since last year.

They don't for one minute stop to think about the inconvenience it causes to you as the make-up artist. I have never insisted on full payment for the trial before, with no refund in the event of a cancellation, but guess what? I have learned my sorry lesson and I shall ask for it up front or no booking:evil: !

We do hear so many times on here about our clients letting us down and it is not right! But onwards and upwards I say and I am going to enjoy my weekend now:D . Happy geeking peeps. xx

Aw! Tracey, that's really annoying isn't it.

I hate that excuse of I rang and left a message and you never received it:evil: .

It is an inconvienience, I never charge either but I always thinking that i should too. Let this be a lesson to all of us!

I'm glad you are feeling happier now though, have a fantastic weekend!

Big :hug:

Teri x

Sending ya hugs hun & hope you can enjoy the rest of your weekend! :) :hug: :hug: CLIENTS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Aw! Tracey, that's really annoying isn't it.

I hate that excuse of I rang and left a message and you never received it:evil: .

It is an inconvienience, I never charge either but I always thinking that i should too. Let this be a lesson to all of us!

I'm glad you are feeling happier now though, have a fantastic weekend!

Big :hug:

Teri x
Thanks Teri. I've got 2 choices. I can feel miserable and peed off all day or I can have my rant and then enjoy my weekend. We do need to get tougher though.

It's such a cheek and just so rude! Have a good weekend any way.:)

I had a client who I did her trial and we agreed she could pay for it all on the day. I asked her to call me if she changed her mind about anything.

Never heard anything so I assumed everything was ok.

On the day of the wedding I decided to call her just to check if the time was ok for me to come. Her mam answered and I explained who I was etc

She replied 'shes not having her make-up done now' I replied 'I aksed her to call me if she didnt want the make-up doing' she replied ' well she doesnt want it doing' I said 'well Im just on my way - when was she intending to let me know - when I was outside the door - thanks for letting me know' I put the phone down.

Now, I have heard of a bridal make-up artist being sued for not arriving to do a make-up but what about us. I missed out on the trial payment and the time I had booked out to do the silly cows make-up.

I was going to bill her but what was the point.

I keep in touch all the time now, but still dont always ask for a deposit.

Oh dear!

I always get payment for trial on the day of the trial, because I know what people are like :rolleyes:

Lots of my MUA friends have contracts that they and the bride sign, and it covers everything from payment, to cancellation notice, to what will happen should the MUA be unable to do the wedding day makeup. Really covers your back!

I don't usually have much bother, but I think I will be using contracts this year once the season gets properly started, just in case!

I'll see if I can get hold of a sample contract for you all to peruse :green:

that is a cheek! especially since you had her booked since last year. Hope you have a great weekend and a great week ahead.

cheeky sod! how rude. xx

I had a client who I did her trial and we agreed she could pay for it all on the day. I asked her to call me if she changed her mind about anything.

Never heard anything so I assumed everything was ok.

On the day of the wedding I decided to call her just to check if the time was ok for me to come. Her mam answered and I explained who I was etc

She replied 'shes not having her make-up done now' I replied 'I aksed her to call me if she didnt want the make-up doing' she replied ' well she doesnt want it doing' I said 'well Im just on my way - when was she intending to let me know - when I was outside the door - thanks for letting me know' I put the phone down.

Now, I have heard of a bridal make-up artist being sued for not arriving to do a make-up but what about us. I missed out on the trial payment and the time I had booked out to do the silly cows make-up.

I was going to bill her but what was the point.

I keep in touch all the time now, but still dont always ask for a deposit.
I think you should have billed her. Whether or not you would have got your money is another story but it might have put a fire cracker up her a--!

i agree bill her!!

maybe she will think twice next time she books people for services then changes her mind!

Oh dear!

I always get payment for trial on the day of the trial, because I know what people are like :rolleyes:

Lots of my MUA friends have contracts that they and the bride sign, and it covers everything from payment, to cancellation notice, to what will happen should the MUA be unable to do the wedding day makeup. Really covers your back!

I don't usually have much bother, but I think I will be using contracts this year once the season gets properly started, just in case!

I'll see if I can get hold of a sample contract for you all to peruse :green:
I don'thave a contract for the trial but I am now going to ask for payment for the trial in order to secure the date. I will pencil it in and give them a week to send a cheque. No cheque, no booking! It is already in my 'conditions of booking' that if the bride wishes to secure me for her wedding day then she pays 50% deposit. Nonrefundable!

I think it is only right otherwise you are setting aside anything up to several hours usually on a weekend for them to then just not be bothered. It's not on!

I don'thave a contract for the trial but I am now going to ask for payment for the trial in order to secure the date. I will pencil it in and give them a week to send a cheque. No cheque, no booking! It is already in my 'conditions of booking' that if the bride wishes to secure me for her wedding day then she pays 50% deposit. Nonrefundable!

I think it is only right otherwise you are setting aside anything up to several hours usually on a weekend for them to then just not be bothered. It's not on!

Too right Tracey! It is common practice for MUAs to do this, so should any clients have a problem with a deposit of some sort, just explain how you've explained above. If they're reluctant to pay, then they're usually time-wasters anyway.

A couple of years ago, my friend Amy (another one! and another MUA) told her boyfriend "no, you can't take me to Paris for Valentine's day because I have a wedding to do" and lo and behold, guess what happened....yep you guessed it....the bride rang her the day before and told Amy that "my mate's dead good at makeup, so she's gonna do it instead as her wedding gift to me" :eek: grrrrrr

What a cheek some people have! I think you have to take steps to look after number 1 in cases like this.

I had a girl who booked a nice slot in September for the day before Christmas Eve for a new set of nails for Christmas and just didn't show up although I'd sent a reminder! I'd turned clients away too! Clients - who'd have 'em! xx

I missed out on a great weekend to do one of my nail clients wedding make-up and I ended up nearly falling out with my friends (because I spat the dummy out & wanted them to change the weekend but they couldnt)

So I did the make-ups and explained to her that I had fallen out with my friends over it (I know her quite well) and she wasnt really pleased with her make-up (she looked fab) and its only now she actually looks at her pics and thinks she looks amazing - but at the time I really wished I hadnt bothered and had a good weekend.

But yes Amy , your spot on there, its better to get a deposit just in case - I think sometimes they just run out of wedding budget and think they can save a few quid by doing it themselves (sounds obvious really) but they should just scrap the wedding bubbles & disposable cameras instead.

But would be great if you could let me see the contract. You have a very good business brain Amy - I so havent!!

But yes Amy , your spot on there, its better to get a deposit just in case - I think sometimes they just run out of wedding budget and think they can save a few quid by doing it themselves (sounds obvious really) but they should just scrap the wedding bubbles & disposable cameras instead.

But would be great if you could let me see the contract. You have a very good business brain Amy - I so havent!!
Amy and I have chatted to other geeks before on here about wedding budget etc........(I'll go and see if I can post the link). In the grand scheme of things, why do they want to do the cheap for their make-up when it's their faces, hair and gown everyone sees in the photographs?

As my make-up trainer said to me, it is their Hollywood moment as they step out onto the red carpet. One day in the entire married life! When the gown has cost £££ and the reception has cost £££££ why spend lose change on the face?

Here is the link I promised. I think it helps to explain just why peeps shouldn't think a make-up-artist should only charge a nickel and a dime. At the end of the day if the bride wants it on the cheap, then she will get it on the cheap just as someone will pay peanuts for NSS nails.

We can't stop them but if we want to be taken seriously and treated as professionals, then we must behave as professionals. http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/42003-bridal-make-up-prices.html?highlight=Bridal+Make-up+charges

Hi guys, I would be happy for you to see my contract, but I haven't actually drawn one up yet! I am going to start using a contract this season, though, so will have to get my skates on.

I will see if any of my friends would be ok with us using their contract as an example. I will get back to you on this one girls!:green:

I think I know why I dont charge more - and its because I do it so effortlessly.

I did an amazing make-up yesterday - it looked so natural and beautiful it looked like she wasnt wearing any and she she had a fair whack of it on (she hates wearing make-up and was so happy with what I did)

I have always seen my skills in make-up more of just an extra alongside nails and other beauty trts, I dont really value my own skills, which is why I dont ask for pics or anything.

I know also that if I dont value my skills then who else will?

I think I know why I dont charge more - and its because I do it so effortlessly.

I did an amazing make-up yesterday - it looked so natural and beautiful it looked like she wasnt wearing any and she she had a fair whack of it on (she hates wearing make-up and was so happy with what I did)

I have always seen my skills in make-up more of just an extra alongside nails and other beauty trts, I dont really value my own skills, which is why I dont ask for pics or anything.

I know also that if I dont value my skills then who else will?
Pazzy, do you have a piccie to share with us please? The minimal make up look is one of the hardest to achieve so well done.

Latest posts

Back