split tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAQUEL

Reaction score
Can anyone help? A client has rang me saying the new set I put on her are splitting down the length of the tips... I have use good quality tips etc and good fit and the only time I have ever seen this is on myself when i have stuck the enhancement in my mouth and took a big bite- never ever seen this on a client so how has this happened.. cos its only been 4 days and the tips are split i really have no choice but to replace them.. oh and yes she is a nail biter hence me refusing to do them too long... advice would be appreciated..

theyve been in her mouth for sure.

Think she's probably been nibbling :mad: !

defo been in her mouth. i've only seen splitting down the length on tip from sticking tip between teeth sideways, and practically bending it in half!

Hmm difficult subject to broch with her! 'i know you've been biting them missy!! So don't expect no freebies!' LOL!

i think that too but the salon owner said there must be something wrong for it to happen in 4 days!!! yes they've been bitten!!!

what?? there must be something wrong for it to happen in four days?? you what? you can choose to clamp a nail inbetween your teeth at anytime! the salon owner is talking poo!

angel fingers said:
theyve been in her mouth for sure.

While it's likely that she bit them, it's not the only possibility. This has happened to me on clients that have wide, very flat nail plates, and also at times that i've gotten carried away blending the tip. After curin the first gel layer in these cases, tiny splits can sometimes be seen in the tip. To prevent these from moving up into the gel i place a tiny bit of fibreglass into the base gel and this does the trick!

Winkys right. Higher C-Curved tips on flatter nails in the most common reason for vertical cracking.
If the product is cracked as well, then mostliekly she has caught it in either a door or between her teeth but if it is just the tip I will lay money on one of the following:

1- Too dramatic of a C-Curve for her natural nail
2- And/or Solvents on tip

HTH's!

I have found that if my tip cutter is blunt, or I cut the tip at a funny angle (which you do sometimes when cutting sort for a nail biter as you try to get them really short), then this puts extra pressure on the tip and hairline fractures will appear with time - they don't show when you first cut them, they just appear more and more each day.

I get it all the time with those pre designed tips and know it is something that I'm doing wrong but I can't suss it out, so I've stopped using it.

The Nail Geek said:
Winkys right. Higher C-Curved tips on flatter nails in the most common reason for vertical cracking.
If the product is cracked as well, then mostliekly she has caught it in either a door or between her teeth but if it is just the tip I will lay money on one of the following:

1- Too dramatic of a C-Curve for her natural nail
2- And/or Solvents on tip

HTH's!
Sam....is this applicable to all systems or more so with Gel?
I only ask cus it happens with one of my clients, only one mind ,who I Gel. I am always puzzled. Aint ever seen it happen on Fibreglass and thinking about it, she perhaps has got rather flattish natural nails. Im sure it doesnt happen all the time, either for her.....She has a tendency (self confessed) to nibble her natural nails, so Im wondering if its me or her?
Suspect its a combination of both!!!

I too had this problem when i very first started out with Gel.

Only thing i put it down to was me just starting out and not applying enough gel and capping properly....but if you've been doing it a while it's probably not that!

Remember that its all about pressure.

The flatter the natural nail and the greater the ccurve of the tip, the more pressur will be exerted on the tip. Its this pressure that causes teh vertical cracking.
Sometimes that pressure by itself isnt enough to make it crack.
THere are other things that contribute to the pressure and may be enough to 'push the tip over the edge' so to speak.
1- solvents
2- tip cutters (as was mentioned before)
3- Blending (you should always do! In this case though, it takes away tip support that was preventing it cracking in the first place!)
4- Eating your nails
5- Trauma
6- Excessive shrinkage. Gels traditionally shrink more than L&P so that could contribute to it as well.

Hope this helps!

Aha!! Maybe that's why I've had probs with the pre designed tips because they are very curved, and it's difficult to go a size or two bigger and file the sides to fit because then it makes the design look odd. GMG think you may have cracked my problem ..... if you'll pardon the pun!

DUDES!!! thanks for the advice!!! weighed up all these options... blunt tip cutters, should i have used formation instead of velocity ( i am quite sure as i well study the c curve) but the client has been back in and guess what??? there was no actual splits... they were sort of shadow splits the type you get when you bend them in ya gob! so benefit of doubt i replaced 3..

interesting point thou... as she was a fan shaped nail biter it was a difficult task anyway..

Latest posts

Back