Spoon nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailjems

Reaction score
Hi geeks, just looking for a bit of advice!

What do you do about applying forms and sculpting when your client has natural nails that grow in a spoon shape?

I'm getting by..... just! But they are taking a lot of filing as I'm trying to fill the bucket shape if you know what I mean? The form seems to lift a little and gap? And my client has said it hurts a bit when I remove the form! ( my client is my sister so I told her to stop moaning there free!).

They look good when finished but I'm wondering if there is a specific techique when dealing with this?

Any help and guidance would be really appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there, I'm not familiar with NSI but I have a client with a spoon thumbnail and I just had to keep applying thin layers of Bio sculpture gel (I did it on myself first and got a heat spike when I used too much gel) and then a log of product down the middle to begin building up the centre.

She cried when I'd finished so I must have done something right!!

Thanks that's what I've been doing just trying to build up the indentation in thin layers! It's not a medical condition my sister has just cosmetic and the way they grow but after looking online I think I'll get her to take some iron tablets and see if that helps them grow better x

My mum has really bad spoon nails and I've had more success with tips oin her nails than sculpting using forms, baceause as you say there is a gap as you're trying to make the form angle down and her nails go upwards.

Good luck, spoon nails are the worst! :lol:

Thanks that's what I've been doing just trying to build up the indentation in thin layers! It's not a medical condition my sister has just cosmetic and the way they grow but after looking online I think I'll get her to take some iron tablets and see if that helps them grow better x

Hey hun,
it's probably best you get her to go to her GP , and ask for her haemoglobin levels and iron and ferritin to be checked first , as it is possible to get iron overload if she is not iron deficient.

Some people have sufficient iron levels but low ferritin, TIBC, transferrin etc, or are not absorbing through the small intestine wall.
HTH's

My mum has really bad spoon nails and I've had more success with tips oin her nails than sculpting using forms, baceause as you say there is a gap as you're trying to make the form angle down and her nails go upwards.

Good luck, spoon nails are the worst! :lol:

that's interesting, thanks, I'll give that a go when her sculpts grow out...

Hey hun,
it's probably best you get her to go to her GP , and ask for her haemoglobin levels and iron and ferritin to be checked first , as it is possible to get iron overload if she is not iron deficient.

Some people have sufficient iron levels but low ferritin, TIBC, transferrin etc, or are not absorbing through the small intestine wall.
HTH's

I'm not sure a GP would sanction a blood test for this as spoon nails being an only symptom plus you would have to take a lot of iron tabs to overload on iron

Rather than the medical advice .. Yes there is a method that CND teach on Master classes that makes doing ski-jump or spoon nails easy to do and longer lasting.

Take off every bit of free edge right down to the end of the nail bed.

Apply your form.

Sculpt your free edge and the rest of the nail as normal.

Once you remove the free edge, the nail does not require loads of filling as you have taken away the extreme slope that the free edge creates. Doing this also gives the client a decent amount of growing time before you have to soak off/or buff off and renew the enhancements (about once every 3 months).

The method I describe gives a complete 'make over' and clients LOVE the look of their 'normal' nails for the first time in their lives!

Ski-jump nails can be an inherited thing and nothing at all to do with a medical problem.

HTH

Thanks everyone and Geeg thanks for the steps! I used to use tips and did get a better result but my sister keeps wanting to grow her natural nails to see if the shape will grow out! Now I can inform her that if she let's me take her nails right down we can sculpt better then I think I'll use a mask acrylic to lengthen the nail bed with a small tip as that's the look I think she's aiming for!
To make matters worse she has the smallest nail beds in the world! It's like trying to sculpt on a 5 year old!
Ha, these things are a test and I enjoy the challenge, especially now I've found SalonGeek! X

Thanks everyone and Geeg thanks for the steps! I used to use tips and did get a better result but my sister keeps wanting to grow her natural nails to see if the shape will grow out! Now I can inform her that if she let's me take her nails right down we can sculpt better then I think I'll use a mask acrylic to lengthen the nail bed with a small tip as that's the look I think she's aiming for!
To make matters worse she has the smallest nail beds in the world! It's like trying to sculpt on a 5 year old!
Ha, these things are a test and I enjoy the challenge, especially now I've found SalonGeek! X

It might interest you to know, that I have had several clients over the years whose natural ski-jump nails have changed to a better shape after wearing enhancements for an extended period of time.

It might interest you to know, that I have had several clients over the years whose natural ski-jump nails have changed to a better shape after wearing enhancements for an extended period of time.

That is very interesting, and something I am very hopeful of if my lady can look after her "over the spoon" enhancements with the lashings of solar oil I have given her!! Having watched her when she was absent-mindedly reading something, she was scratching the ridges in the spoon of her thumbnail with the nail of her forefinger which I am sure may have contributed to the damage. Hopefully, now they are shiny and smooth, she may do this less.

Latest posts

Back