Spray Tan Association - Why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhatanning

Reaction score
Hey tanners,

Not sure if any of you have read the recent article from the STA (find attached below) but for those of us who are mobile and especially those just starting up what do you think about what they're saying?? Telling us it should be compulsory to do patch tests and have extractor fans.

I'm not against said things but I do feel like it would be rather stressful to go to a clients house, do a patch test even
If they've had a spray tan in the past (not by me) wait 24hours then go all the way back to theirs to do the tan? Plus lugging around the machine, cubicle and now an extractor. I've found a window or door open to be sufficient as long as you don't over spray and you've offered the client a mask!

I don't know, am I being to winey? Do you agree with the STA? Or do you think it would cause more hassle than good. That goes for everything they say.

Link to article: http://safetyinbeauty.com/is-a-spray-tan-safe-the-spray-tan-association-sta-discuss/

Ashley
DHA Tanning

I know from experience that having to patch test for spray tans looses you a lot of clients. I changed insurers recently because of this, and since not having to patch test, my spray tan clientele has quadrupled.

Personally, if we had to patch test, I think it would kill off a lot of mobile therapists, especially those that only do tanning.

I have an extractor fan, but never use it for just one client. It's a pain to carry round, but I feel it should be a necessity for those doing multiple tans in one location.

Before we know it we will be required to do a patch test with nail polish too!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for sharing this.

For me personally, spray tanning is my first step in forging a career for myself. I have a chronic illness and I couldn't continue in the job I was in as it was making me ill and depressed.

My mother is a hairdresser and whilst at the warehouse with her one day and they had got an offer on a spray tan course. I decided that the cost of the course was justified to get me out of the house, interacting with strangers and the potential of a new skill even if I hated every second of doing a spray tan! Contary to this, I loved it!

For Christmas 2013, Santa was very generous with his money and I was able to set myself up with everything I needed to go mobile. This means I can manage my illness and continue to work whilst doing something I actually enjoy and have pride in! My plan is to save enough to learn new skills and treatments and expand my business.

If I had to patch test I would have lost a lot of clients, if I'd have got any at all. At least half of my clients have booked at around the 24 hour prior point meaning I wouldn't have been able to get a patch test in.

On the extraction fan point, it would mean that I would have to make two trips from the car to the client. I would have to leave my equipment alone with someone I may have not necessarily met before!

Of course though, if it becomes law, we would all do the right thing and do as we're told because we care about our careers and clients. I just hope they just stop and think about the practicalities on the therapist before this goes too far.

Well, that was far more long winded and personal than I expected from the post title! Haha!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you Tara for posting that!

I'm sorry about your illness but I'm glad that you've found something that really enjoy doing, I've recently got into tanning and I love it haha.

I rang my insurance today to ask about patch testing and they just said that I should follow my manufacturers guide. So I don't need to do them all the time, just on new clients who haven't had spray tans before or who have rather sensitive skin. I know what you mean when clients want their tan 24 hours or so prior to e.g a night out so they won't be willing to have a patch test. They'll just get someone else!

The extractor fans would be such a pain!! Like I haven't passed my driving test yet so it would be impossible for me to carry everything haha. There'd be no point me containing my business!! I wouldn't feel comfortable either leaving my stuff with a new clients while carrying my things in one by one haha.

If they do decide to make it a "law" (here's hoping they don't) I can guarantee a lot of mobile therapists will no longer be able to provide their service.

Ashley
DHA Tanning

Latest posts

Back