Spray tan regular not going as dark - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lozenja

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a regular that I always spray tan every 10 days or so and she seems to be building up a resistance to the DHA?? I wasnt sure whether to believe but I have seen her the next day after spraying her in a 14% and she looked like she had a 10% maximum 11%. When I saw her at my local shops ages ago she looked heaps darker and she only had a 12%...

She hasnt changed moisterises or other products, is past the age to be hormonal so I am stumped!!

I had a spray tan the other day for a wedding and it didnt take because I am pregnant. Had to get topped up the next day in a 12% to look like a 10%!!!

I used Aviva Labs. Totally love the product and no other clients seem to have any problems, they are all happy with the colour!

Is it a rapid or 8 hour tan you are using?

Is she on any medication whatsoever (including HRT)?

There will be a reason for it not to be going as dark especially as your other clients haven't noticed any difference.

I was using the Express tan solution on her (max it goes is to a 13%) and she left on for 3.5hrs each time (bout a 12%) but said the last 3 tans have been noticably lighter (her hubby commented that she seemed quite white!)

She has had at least 15 spray tans prior with no prob with colour...

So I decided to go with the original 14% (not a rapid tan but an 8 hr) as it is more stable in terms of colour but it didnt go very dark at all? She left it on for 12 hrs!

HRT or blood thinning medication?

No new medication at all, or new products We went through all of that. She doesnt take anything! So confused!

OK... are you in Perth, Scotland or Perth, Australia?

Might seem strange but climate and/or change of seasons could also be a cause.

Perth, Australia. We have mainly a hot sunny climate most of the year. Only a short season of rain. Thank so much for your help btw :hug:

Perth, Australia. We have mainly a hot sunny climate most of the year. Only a short season of rain. Thank so much for your help btw :hug:

No worries - I know the climate - I'm in Adelaide hehe (although we had snow here yesterday for some bizarre reason!!).

OK, so my climate theory is out the window. Tans develop darker during the warmer months (I have tested this on many, many people over the years).

Is she/has she started on a different diet recently?

Is she diabetic?

If neither of those either - then I would get a sample from another tanning company of a say 12 or 14% and try that on her. This would be to rule out that it might be an ingredient in the Aviva solution that is having a cumulative effect on her skin which is interferring with the DHA penetration.

Oh... and you're welcome. :hug:

What about trying Velocity Ultra dark? Would you recommend this? Aviva is a 13% as their express... and this client esp likes the express better as she doesnt like sleeping in it! Do Vani-T do samples?

I have had this problem on myself recently!

But I am diabetic so that could possibly be why...

What about trying Velocity Ultra dark? Would you recommend this? Aviva is a 13% as their express... and this client esp likes the express better as she doesnt like sleeping in it! Do Vani-T do samples?

Could definitely give Velocity a try. If you want to PM me your details I'll arrange for some to be sent on Monday for you if you like so you can try it on her next week.

The Velocity Ultra Dark is a 15% + erythulose (on it's own I only leave on for 2 hours and I'm a Fitzpatrick III) and it comes up pretty full on. Normal Velocity is a 12% + erythulose.

So perhaps try her with that (there is enough in the samples for 4-5 full body sprays so just try her for 2 hours to start).

Would love to hear how it goes on her skin.

I have had this problem on myself recently!

But I am diabetic so that could possibly be why...

Definately! Insulin is a hormone and hormones affect tans.

Just checking you got my PM... I have had them not work before. Thank you!

PHP:
Sure did!

Have you thought about trying one of the Aviva City Tans on her? They develop within 90 minutes then you wash it off. It gets gradually darker even though it's been washed off. Might be an option if she doesn't like to have the tan on for long. I personally find Aviva tans very drying, so want to wash it off as quickly as possible.

I tried the Vegas one on a client and myself at the weekend and was really impressed.

Have you thought about trying one of the Aviva City Tans on her? They develop within 90 minutes then you wash it off. It gets gradually darker even though it's been washed off. Might be an option if she doesn't like to have the tan on for long. I personally find Aviva tans very drying, so want to wash it off as quickly as possible.

I tried the Vegas one on a client and myself at the weekend and was really impressed.

No because the city range will not develop darker than a 13% so I dont see the point. (if she isnt getting good colour from 14%) My next idea was Gimme Brown 14% but i think trying another brand is a better idea just to check if Aviva prob or DHA prob...

A lot of people have to keep the city range on longer than the 90mins to get a good colour anyway... Many leave overnight. The colours the city range come out in are really nice though! If only wasnt so expensive!! Cant justify in my home salon :/

I always find that the tan does not come out as dark as Aviva say it will. That said, I do love Aviva. For my hardened clients, I normally give them 2 coats of 14% Gimme Brown. That keeps them happy :D !

I always find that the tan does not come out as dark as Aviva say it will. That said, I do love Aviva. For my hardened clients, I normally give them 2 coats of 14% Gimme Brown. That keeps them happy :D !

You shouldn't have to do 2 coats to get a decent colour. If you are using twice as much product, your are reducing your profit by half every time.

You shouldn't have to do 2 coats to get a decent colour. If you are using twice as much product, your are reducing your profit by half every time.

Yeah, I know :sad:

I do 2 coats as recommended by Aviva but dont use over 60mls in total. That works for me, and my clients like the fade off being so subtle and they feel dry straight away :)

Latest posts

Back