spray tanning and dry underarms!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stampy

Reaction score
I had a spray tan last night and because my underarm arm area is very dry (caused by my deodrant) the tan has 'grabbed' to the area. I always make sure I don't have any deodrant on when having the tan but I think some brands really do dry out the area.

Just wondered if anyone else experienced this when spraying clients? Should we be asking clients to exfoliate underarms? Is there a particular deodrant that works well and doesn't dry out the skin?

I know we don't spray directly into the armpit but should we put a barrier cream on the underarm area just in case of this problem?

Any thoughts or tips? x

I don't use a barrier cream but then I really do spray around it. Do you shave that area because that can make the skin drier?

I use Dove roll on deoderant and have not noticed any drying effects. HTH

I personally would not recommend using a barrier cream under the arms....as this could result in quite e noticeable white patch......just as bad as a darker patch IMO!

If clients have dry patches of skin, and I always mention the possibility of underarms, I tell them to moisturise thoroughly in the days leading up to the tan, but not to moisturise after the preceding shower. Alternatively I provide a wipe (Buff Wipes) for them to remove their deo and /or make-up, then I pull back quite considerably on the area so it only gets a fine mist, and doesn't get as much solution to grab.

If you think about it, your underarms are unlikey to go as brown as the rest of you in natural sunlight, as they tend to be closed! So a lighter shade in this area looks more natural, anyway.

thanks for the great advice, I think I'm going to add it to my pre-tan advice to make sure the area isn't too dry. And I might get myself a milder deodrant! x

Latest posts

Back