spray tanning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helpimlost

Reaction score
Hi,

I have only ever had 2 spray tans in my life and both times I have looked dreadful, Im darker in areas,I have white patches and streaks.

now the streaks ill out down to dry skin as its my legs but is it truly possillbe to have a lovely even tan thats just not patchy and looks awful 2 days later?

I m used to manual tanning myself and i never look as bad as sprays.

Is it just me?

If you've been given correct advice as to what to do with your skin before you have your spray tan & you've done as advised.
Then having had your spray tan, you have worn the correct clothing - not tight jeans etc and have followed the aftercare advice given, then you should have a good even tan, assuming the tan therapist has not missed any areas, which based on what you said she hadn't.
If ypou wore tight fittng clothing straight after your tan, you willabrade the skin pulling on the jeans/tight fitting trousers/legging etc, which will give you streaky areas.
Also, if you had tight fitting clothes on after, they could absorb some of the tan & give you white patches, like around the waist for example, where they have rubbed.

If your tan is darker in places than other, then this could be down to you having dry skin patches that were not exfoliated & moisturised properly, or the therapist used too much solution resulting in overspray to these areas.

Another thing to consider is if you have been using the correct type of moisturiser after your tan, as oil based lotions could strip the tan out.

I have never been given advice pre tan, I have moistursed before hand but obviously not enough.

I had on legging things afterwards and a huge sleveless top on so that can contribute surely.
afterwards iv just nothing in the shower and fake bake moisturiser afterwards.

I have never been given advice pre tan, I have moistursed before hand but obviously not enough.

I had on legging things afterwards and a huge sleveless top on so that can contribute surely.
afterwards iv just nothing in the shower and fake bake moisturiser afterwards.

The night before your spray tan, you need to exfoliate your skin, particularly the dry areas & lightly moisturise ( I ask my clients to do this for 2 nights before their spray tan.
On the day of the tan, you should not moisturise, wear make-up, deodorant, perfumes etc.
Arrive at your appointment with dark, baggy loose fitting clothing & flip flops.
IMO leggings, if they are tight, as they tend to be, will of been pulled up against the skin of the legs and could cause streaks, also if they have sat on the skin immeadiately after having a spray, then they could of absorbed some of the tanning solution not quite dried on your skin, again causing patches.
The solution needs to remain on your skin for 10 hours (overnight) and shower off in the morning. Certain shower products do contain oils and can help to remove your tan, so it's best to use something gentle like a baby wash type thing.

As you can see, there are lots of reasons why your tan did not turn out as expected.

Hi Helpinlost, where abouts in Scotland are you?
I am a mobile theripist and always send my clients a Pre, during and Post care advice sheet. It outlines everyting you should do before your tan, what to expect during your tan and your post care advice also.
I find that clients really appreciate this, as alot of clients have never had a tan done before and are often clueless as to what to expect, it also acts as a refence for the client to return to, should they need to.
I think being in the idustry and doing this alot, i know when i 1st started, i tended to forget that not everybody has had a tan before and really dont know what to expect.

To get the best results from tan, client and theripist must work with each other, as each of the parts you play have a vital role in your end result.

L x

Latest posts

Back