SSW - Does rubbing your eyes cause wrinkles?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetty

Lost and happy geek!
Reaction score
Ok, not the most scientific question ever asked :o but it is something I'd like to know.....

Does rubbing skin cause an actual change to the structure of the skin??

Ok, not the most scientific question ever asked :o but it is something I'd like to know.....

Does rubbing skin cause an actual change to the structure of the skin??

I am not a great expert in this but if you pull and stretch a piece of skin long enough and as you get older when your skins elasticity slows down then it will evetually stops retractig back.

The skin around the eyes is much thinner than other skin on the body,if we treat it harshly you will be more prone to wrinkes.

When advising clients on applying eye creams or serums I recommend that they use their ring finger,this is to avoid stretching the skin and causing sagging rather than wrinkles,sagging would eventually lead to wrinkles.HTH

Thank you ladies!! I must think more about my skin and how I treat it...... especially as I approach the big four oh!!

Thank you ladies!! I must think more about my skin and how I treat it...... especially as I approach the big four oh!!
Well prevention is better than cure hun,so look after it now to keep you looking young.xx:green:

The skin around the eyes is much thinner than other skin on the body,if we treat it harshly you will be more prone to wrinkes.

When advising clients on applying eye creams or serums I recommend that they use their ring finger,this is to avoid stretching the skin and causing sagging rather than wrinkles,sagging would eventually lead to wrinkles.HTH

I am in agreement here. there are many people that apply eyecream incorrectly, leading to puffiness and sagging. Always apply with ring finger and apply to the orbital bone and not on the delicate tissue itself. The tissue around your eyes are like tissue paper, and will absorb what they need and where they need it (hence the creams come in tiny bottles). also the cream to be applied should be around the size of a grain of rice.
:)

I am in agreement here. there are many people that apply eyecream incorrectly, leading to puffiness and sagging. Always apply with ring finger and apply to the orbital bone and not on the delicate tissue itself. The tissue around your eyes are like tissue paper, and will absorb what they need and where they need it (hence the creams come in tiny bottles). also the cream to be applied should be around the size of a grain of rice.
:)

Wow! I never knew that, thanks!

Wow! I never knew that, thanks!
Well,it should be small but I would recommend following the advice as given by the manufacturer,for example Darphin recommends 2 drops for both eyes of their serum.

A little bit does go a long way.

Well,it should be small but I would recommend following the advice as given by the manufacturer,for example Darphin recommends 2 drops for both eyes of their serum.

A little bit does go a long way.

yes, follow manufacturers advice, but if there arent any ( many just say use a small amount) then a grain of rice. x:)

I read today in a Magazine it should be a small amount of cream on the eyes... no bigger than a pea!

It was relating to Puffy eyes and putting too much cream on them.. which actually makes them worse...

I read today in a Magazine it should be a small amount of cream on the eyes... no bigger than a pea!

It was relating to Puffy eyes and putting too much cream on them.. which actually makes them worse...
Yes your right there Caroline.xx

Using a sperate eye cream is IMPERATIVE...my mother taught me that much!

As a French woman it comes naturally to use sepearate products as the skin is very different on the neck and eyes than on the rest of the face.

Personally i love really hydrating eye creams as i dont suffer from puffyness,but yes using a TINY amount is all you need using your RING finger with light pressure,and NO RUBBING.
Also using a good quality eye make up remover is just as important if not MORE important as you want to remove EVERY trace of eye make up but dont want that "stinging" feeling,and yes ive said it once and ill say it again IMHO the only 2 ive come across that do the job is Dermalogica or Gatineau,with Lancome coming a close third!:wink2:

Well I just found my answer to a question I have asked many of times.
Whoo hooo..now I don't have to replenish my eye creams as often and save money too.
Wonderful info..Kudos to you!!

This explains a lot. Will be gathering up the wrinkles round my eyes and carting them off to a plastic surgeon.:eek:

Well I just found my answer to a question I have asked many of times.
Whoo hooo..now I don't have to replenish my eye creams as often and save money too.
Wonderful info..Kudos to you!!

Sleeping with heating on in the bedroom is also bad for you... this causes puffy eyes too... you know when you wake up all hot and it's hard to get up because it's so warm... and when you do you look so rough and swollen around the eyes and feel so fuzzy?!

I noticed this and it was only after reading Babsann mention this on here... and realised that this was why it was happening to me!

So what advice would you give to someone who has allergies? I have a variety of allergies which means that I am constantly rubbing my eyes, despite medications, and although I don't have lines yet (not bad for 37!!) I do have slightly 'baggy' eyes. I put this down to all the rubbing.:irked:

I confess I don't use an eye cream/gel daily because I haven't yet found one I really like but when I do use one I only ever use my ring finger and tap. :)

Using a sperate eye cream is IMPERATIVE...my mother taught me that much!

As a French woman it comes naturally to use sepearate products as the skin is very different on the neck and eyes than on the rest of the face.

Personally i love really hydrating eye creams as i dont suffer from puffyness,but yes using a TINY amount is all you need using your RING finger with light pressure,and NO RUBBING.
Also using a good quality eye make up remover is just as important if not MORE important as you want to remove EVERY trace of eye make up but dont want that "stinging" feeling,and yes ive said it once and ill say it again IMHO the only 2 ive come across that do the job is Dermalogica or Gatineau,with Lancome coming a close third!:wink2:

Add Matis Bi-Phase Eye And Lip Makeup Remover to that list! It doesn't sting your eyes (it's opthalmically tested), and it removes waterproof mascara without leaving an oily residue on your skin. Nothing beats it IMHO!:green:

Add Matis Bi-Phase Eye And Lip Makeup Remover to that list! It doesn't sting your eyes (it's opthalmically tested), and it removes waterproof mascara without leaving an oily residue on your skin. Nothing beats it IMHO!:green:

Ill give it a go...after all if its French its on my list...LOL:lol:

I read somewhere that sleeping on a Satin pillow helps wrinkles... I don't know how true that is... but it just slides off your skin instead of Cotton which can be rough.

In a fashion magazine!

I think alot of lines appear due to lying on them (hence the satin pillow) which I can well believe and thought it would be a great idea to have something to apply at night to stop wrinkles forming (afterall you are lying on them for over 8 hrs every night).

But someone beat me to it and frownies are the thing you use for bed time.

Havent tried them tho but really want to.

Latest posts

Back