SSW - Tinting grey hairs/eyebrows

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used the grey tint. Not once. Not even when I was training. I just do the same as Babs. When would you use grey tint?
As above Rouge,lol

For red hair you are meant to add a dash of black to brown tint to ensure the colour takes accurately. (So I've been told!:))

With grey hair,when tinting I tint as usual,then remove tint then re apply tint to just the grey hairs on the brows,they always take longer to colour due to them being so dry.This always works well.

I never use neat peroxide on them as would worry about the eyes,was not taught to use neat peroxide and would think this practice would invalidate our insurance as this is not what peroxide is designed for.

Try the method I have suggested and you will see it does work everytime,hth:green:

OK - I had a client in for a brow tint today and did the quick tint over the brow area and then re-applied to the grey hairs. Took it off the grey hairs after about 5 minutes - there wasnt much difference so re-applied to the grey hairs yet again what felt like an eternity but at max another 5 minutes and the tint did work on some of the grey hairs but some werent even touched. Is it fact that some grey hairs will never tint with 3% peroxide? What would you do in this case?

OK - I had a client in for a brow tint today and did the quick tint over the brow area and then re-applied to the grey hairs. Took it off the grey hairs after about 5 minutes - there wasnt much difference so re-applied to the grey hairs yet again what felt like an eternity but at max another 5 minutes and the tint did work on some of the grey hairs but some werent even touched. Is it fact that some grey hairs will never tint with 3% peroxide? What would you do in this case?
What tint and peroxide are you using??How long EXACTLY did you leave on brows for and how many drops of peroxide to your tint size did you use???

What tint and peroxide are you using??How long EXACTLY did you leave on brows for and how many drops of peroxide to your tint size did you use???

Using Salon System. Used 2 parts peroxide to 2 parts tint. Use just the brown colour.

the clients eyebrows were very course and very long hairs too. the length made it easier to separte the grey ones, and the normal coloured ones tinted perfect after the 2 minutes so didnt go over these ones again, just the grey.

I am determined to beet this issue.

Using Salon System. Used 2 parts peroxide to 2 parts tint. Use just the brown colour.

the clients eyebrows were very course and very long hairs too. the length made it easier to separte the grey ones, and the normal coloured ones tinted perfect after the 2 minutes so didnt go over these ones again, just the grey.

Ok first I would change your brand.I use Combinal which is the most expensive but personally I believe you get what you pay for.It has to be Combinal peroxide and tint,not just one and not the other.

Give it a try and I guarantee you wont have the same problems,Grey hairs are always coarse and quite often long.Make sure that the tint isn't too runny or it's harder to apply.HTH

P.s you will get there eventually.:)

Ok first I would change your brand.I use Combinal which is the most expensive but personally I believe you get what you pay for.It has to be Combinal peroxide and tint,not just one and not the other.

Give it a try and I guarantee you wont have the same problems,Grey hairs are always coarse and quite often long.Make sure that the tint isn't too runny or it's harder to apply.HTH

P.s you will get there eventually.:)

I didnt really think that there would be such a difference in the quality of tints! You learn something new everday!

Think I might invest in the range you mentioned but would have to be a phased change over though - it was bad enough to get the clients to have a skin test with the salon system range - will skin test clients in the new range as they come in!

p.s. tried to rep you but need to spread a little more love first! :hug:

thanks for all your help with this!

I didnt really think that there would be such a difference in the quality of tints! You learn something new everday!

Think I might invest in the range you mentioned but would have to be a phased change over though - it was bad enough to get the clients to have a skin test with the salon system range - will skin test clients in the new range as they come in!

p.s. tried to rep you but need to spread a little more love first! :hug:

thanks for all your help with this!
No probs Oey,glad I can help.

Just do the tint tests as they come in for their appointments as you say.:hug:

When your clients come in for their color with your salon system colour, explain to them that you are changing colour lines because this new line will deliver better coverage and condition to the hair (charge more also) and ask them to get the patch test right then and there..saves time and customer fustrations.;)

Just like hair, grey in the brows can be stubborn also, When I come across this, I apply either a grey series permanent color for approx 1/2 the time of the normal processing time. So If my color line calls for a 35 -45 min process..I time the brows for 15-20 mins. Check them and if not enough coverage, apply again for another 5 mins. Do this while the hair color is processing to save time.

Jd~

Just like hair, grey in the brows can be stubborn also, When I come across this, I apply either a grey series permanent color for approx 1/2 the time of the normal processing time. So If my color line calls for a 35 -45 min process..I time the brows for 15-20 mins. Check them and if not enough coverage, apply again for another 5 mins. Do this while the hair color is processing to save time.

Jd~

Thanks JD but,

Confused - so do you use hair strength tint on the brows? What strength peroxide would this be?

When your clients come in for their color with your salon system colour, explain to them that you are changing colour lines because this new line will deliver better coverage and condition to the hair (charge more also) and ask them to get the patch test right then and there..saves time and customer fustrations.;)

Jd~
Hi Jd,I would always say follow manufactuers instructions precisely.:green:

Hi Jd,I would always say follow manufactures instructions precisely.:green:

You got to know the rules before you can break them. Just be smart about it!

Thanks JD but,

Confused - so do you use hair strength tint on the brows? What strength peroxide would this be?

uhhh yeah...:smack: I do use hair color on them...usually 10v just enough to break the cuticle of the hair down.
One of the Stylist in the salon use to use the brow tints also and changed over to haircolor like me after she saw what results I was getting. Pssssst...she is a hairstylist also.

You got to know the rules before you can break them. Just be smart about it!
Whereas I know where you're coming from we have to be very careful what we are saying,and we dont use haircolour on eyebrows here.We are NOT insured to do so.

Whereas I know where you're coming from we have to be very careful what we are saying,and we dont use haircolour on eyebrows here.We are NOT insured to do so.

I agree. It also says on the colours used in the salon I work in not to be used on eyebrows/eyelashes. Think they are loreal colours.

I do know of hair stylists that have tinted eyebrows with hair colour & there has never been a reaction but god only knows what the insurers would say if there were !

I use Salon System to & I don't find the Brown very dark, is sort of a murky dish water colour imo !

I used to use Ellisons tint before & that was VERY brown never had a problem tinting with that. Think I will go back to it actually as ive had problems with the SS one tinting grey hairs to come to think of it.

I do know of hair stylists that have tinted eyebrows with hair colour & there has never been a reaction but god only knows what the insurers would say if there were !
Well Not much they can say when You have the client signing a consent form first.;) You got to understand the rules before you can break them, and protect your butt in the process. Over here in the states, doesn't seem to be as strict as in the UK.;) Now I would not suggest doing the eyebrows with haircolor to those who are not licensed to work with hair color. So now I will shut up before everyone starts throwing eggs at me..:eek: I am feeling a little bit of hostility here.

Hi. I also use the Combinal, I believe that it is 10% peroxide when the Salon System one is 6%. All my customers say how great the colour is, how long it lasts on and it always covers the gray hair.

Hi. I also use the Combinal, I believe that it is 10% peroxide when the Salon System one is 6%. All my customers say how great the colour is, how long it lasts on and it always covers the gray hair.
Yes Combinal is 10%

Yes Combinal is 10%

Thats interesting as I though that the Salon System one was also 10% - that why it wasnt getting the colour to take on the grey hairs then!

Definaely changing to Combinal now!

Latest posts

Back