SSW - Tinting grey hairs/eyebrows

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oey

Reaction score
Suppose this question is also relevant to the Hairdressing experts out there but:

Why is it so much more difficult to tint grey hair than other hairs when the molicules of the colour sit/swell inside the hair cuticles?

Please accept my apologies if my description of the tinting process is incorrect, but I find it difficult to explain when it comes to tinting clients eyebrows when they have a mix of grey hairs there too!

Suppose this question is also relevant to the Hairdressing experts out there but:

Why is it so much more difficult to tint grey hair than other hairs when the molicules of the colour sit/swell inside the hair cuticles?

Please accept my apologies if my description of the tinting process is incorrect, but I find it difficult to explain when it comes to tinting clients eyebrows when they have a mix of grey hairs there too!
Just a thought until the hairys come on as I'm not a hairy....maybe it's because the % peroxide used in lash and brow tints isn't right for grey hairs.....

Which peroxide do you use in your lash/brow tint products?

Just a thought until the hairys come on as I'm not a hairy....maybe it's because the % peroxide used in lash and brow tints isn't right for grey hairs.....

Which peroxide do you use in your lash/brow tint products?

A maximum of 10 vol (3%) is available for eyelash/brow tinting.

I am desperate to know the answers to this as I have been white since age 30 (see profile oic) and now lashes (not brows) are going to.
I am an old trout - just don't want to look like one !!:eek:

I know that grey hair has much less of the pigment melanin which gives hair it's colour. Perhaps it is because there is less for the dye to adhere to? Although that wouldn't necessarily explain the difference with red hair. I have checked my college books and my science book but neither of them actually exlain it in depth. :irked:

I believe that you need 20 vol (6%) to cover grey hair in hair tinting.

Really? We have been taught to simply leave it on for longer, still using the 3%.

All the literature I have though says you cannot use more than 10 vol (3%) on the eye area and unless you buy the stuff designed for use of the head as far as I am aware you cannot get a higher strength.

My books also (must be the same ones) say that red hair takes longer but doesnt explain why.

I am guessing that's why it won't work then if only 3% is allowed for eye treatments. I'll shut up now cos I'm not an expert in this area!

Nothing higher than 3% should be used on the eye area So oey you are right there.

hi there i am a hairy and can give you my reasoning as to why grey/white hair is more difficult to colour/tint.

grey/white hair has no pigment
it also has very tightly closed cuticles which makes it difficult to open (via peroxide) us hairys use 6% hydrogen peroxide and a stronger colour which has double pigment to colour white/grey hair on the head.

at college we were taught to pre-soften white hair with pure 6% peroxide which opens the cuticles enough to then apply the tint mixture NOT RECCOMMENDED FOR TINTING EYEBROWS/LASHES.

i no ive go on abit but i think the reason is the peroxide strenght and the tint strenght.
im not a beauty therapist so dont no how else you will get the grey/white hair to cover. i AM NOT RECOMMENDING to use higher peroxide.

With grey hair,when tinting I tint as usual,then remove tint then re apply tint to just the grey hairs on the brows,they always take longer to colour due to them being so dry.This always works well.

I never use neat peroxide on them as would worry about the eyes,was not taught to use neat peroxide and would think this practice would invalidate our insurance as this is not what peroxide is designed for.

Try the method I have suggested and you will see it does work everytime,hth:green:

With grey hair,when tinting I tint as usual,then remove tint then re apply tint to just the grey hairs on the brows,they always take longer to colour due to them being so dry.This always works well.

I never use neat peroxide on them as would worry about the eyes,was not taught to use neat peroxide and would think this practice would invalidate our insurance as this is not what peroxide is designed for.

Try the method I have suggested and you will see it does work everytime,hth:green:

Thanks Babs

How difficult do you find it to tint only the grey hairs?

Do you know why the grey hairs are more difficult to tint than others - or is "the hairdressers" explanation as simple as it sounds with the cuticles being tighter on gray hairs.

Thanks Babs

How difficult do you find it to tint only the grey hairs?

Do you know why the grey hairs are more difficult to tint than others - or is "the hairdressers" explanation as simple as it sounds with the cuticles being tighter on gray hairs.
I dont ever just colour the grey,I always pre-pigment the hairs even if it's just for a min then carry on with just the greys,this seems to work best for me.I use an orange stick and individually colour each hair from root to tip.

I would agree with hairdressers explanation.Hair on our head is harder to dye when grey as well.Hence why it needs to be left on longer.

I dont ever just colour the grey,I always pre-pigment the hairs even if it's just for a min then carry on with just the greys,this seems to work best for me.I use an orange stick and individually colour each hair from root to tip.

I would agree with hairdressers explanation.Hair on our head is harder to dye when grey as well.Hence why it needs to be left on longer.

Thanks very much to both of you Babs and hairdresser!

I recall something when I was at college where the tutor said to add a small amount of grey tint if you were doing red or grey hairs - but for the life of me cant think why!

This is one area where i just feel really thick! and it bugs me that I dont know the answers!

Thanks very much to both of you Babs and hairdresser!

I recall something when I was at college where the tutor said to add a small amount of grey tint if you were doing red or grey hairs - but for the life of me cant think why!

This is one area where i just feel really thick! and it bugs me that I dont know the answers!
I personally NEVER use the grey tint,I use blue/black,brown/black,black or brown,in fact we havn't even got any grey in the salon.

Most of my clients want their lashes as dark as possible so I mix black and a little dot of blue.

Did use grey when did my training but not used it since.

I personally NEVER use the grey tint,I use blue/black,brown/black,black or brown,in fact we havn't even got any grey in the salon.

Most of my clients want their lashes as dark as possible so I mix black and a little dot of blue.

Did use grey when did my training but not used it since.

Thanks

So i wasnt going mad then about the grey! What would have been the reason for using it at college?

Thanks

So i wasnt going mad then about the grey! What would have been the reason for using it at college?
It can be used at college or in the salon it can tone a colour down,or if someone wanted a really subtle colour you would mix the grey with the other colour or it could be used on its own but I have never felt the need.

I've never used the grey tint. Not once. Not even when I was training. I just do the same as Babs. When would you use grey tint?

Babs beat me to it!

Latest posts

Back