St Tropez Hand Applied

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bel888

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I have read a thread about St tropez and now feel that i have been a bit ripped off! When I trained to do hand applied tanning I trained in a small salon that offered certification by the guild. I am worried that the lady is teaching the wrong method.

On our course we had the client stood infront of us and we then exfoliated the whole body with the exfoliator - the client then went and showered in another room. They came back and we waited for them to be completely dry. We started application of the tan to all areas of the body, the only areas that were mixed half tan half moisturiser were the backs of the hands, feet, inside arms and face.
Then after the course the tan looked patchy and quite orange. I thought St Tropez was meant to give a natural tan (All of you on here say it does so have i been wrongly taught?)
Thankyou in advance
Bel

Not quite sure what you mean.If you mean its patchy directly its been applied ,it would be, as thats the guide colour ,which you shower off after it has developed.If its patchy after that then that would be wrong application or not preparing skin properly or the client not following up with aftercare.
Arnt you supposed to moisturise after exfoliation.

here is my routine, if its any help-
I perform a manual St Tropez with the client lying down for the whole treatment. i wash off the exfo with warm mitts, as this does not produce so much water (less drying time). place couch roll on couch during exfo part, and then remove when complete so that the client is laying directly on the black couch cover.

The client is then turned over to the front agin, and moisturiser is applied to hairline, hands, elbows, knees and feet.

Apply tan starting to face and neck, arms, legs, feet, tummy, bust. Wait to dry. Turn client over, apply to backs of legs then back. Only rub tan in until it stars to go a pinky colour- do not over rub. it will look a bit streaky as it drys, but as long as you can't see any flesh cloured bits your fine.

Tan amounts/half mix seems correct- this is what i do.

Turn client back over and lightly buff in order that you applied.

Voila- client finished, looking abit muddy- certainly not orange.
HTHs:)

Don't forget aftercare- crucial for a log lasting, patch free tan x

I trained with St Tropez at there training school in London. We exfilated the client whilst they lay on the bed and removed it with mitts.

Sounds as though you've been trained correctly, although we also mixed with moisteriser for the face as well as the area you mentioned.

It does look very patch (like they've been rolling in mud), but that's fine as long as you don;t leave any white bits. It can be as uneven as you like as long as you cover all of the area. It will only go as dark as it will so it doesn't matter about overlapping..............just no gaps.

You can buff the area with a dry mitt but if the client wants it be dark, then leave it. Once they shower it off the next morning, or that night, it'll all be even. You must remember to put neat moisteriser on the elbows, ankles, wrists and knees and then blend in.

On this subject I need help. I have previously been doing st tropez manually but have not been working for nearly a couple of years so I need a refresher. I am in a rented house and most of my stuff is packed up and so I cannot find my notes! I need a reminder of how many pumps per area eg back 3 pumps, legs 6 pumps etc and any other thnigs that I may have forgotten.

Can't believe how the site has grown since I last looked!

thats the exact way I was taught to do St Tropez. Try more moisturiser than tan itself

If a client has been on holiday and just wants to top up there tan with st tropez manual appilcation then should i recommend they wash it off after eight others as oposed 2 leaving it over night if they wouldnt want to be extremely dark?

I exfoliate while the client is laid on couch and remove with damp mitts. I apply moisturiser lightly on knees, elbows hands and feet. I always start with the backs of legs then the back, turn the client over and do front of legs, stomach, chest arms then face. I really don't know anything about how many pumps of tan to moisturiser, I just use my judgment, if the client wants a more suble tan I mix a bit of moisturiser with the tan. Never had a problem up to now. Hope this helps. Donna x
Oooh I forgot to add, while applying the tan don't rub round and round, just downward movements almost like your whipping the tan, if you know what I mean!! xx

I am just doing my training now at college and my friend who trained with the company themselves has commented on how differently we have been taught. She prefers how we are doing it.

We exfoliate the client whilst laid down starting with the face and then i moisturise straight away before continuing the rest of the body exfoliation. Remove with mitts.
I apply a very light covering of moisturiser to the whole body but more on the elbows, knees and ankles.

I apply tan to the clients face, we do not mix it with moisturiser!
The client then stands and i apply the tan to the body starting with the neck, back, back of legs.
Turn client around and apply tan to chest, stomach, arms and them legs.

Again we do not mix the tan with moisturiser when applying to elbows, knees, hands or feet. We use less product and less pressure.

I don't leave the client looking patchy as i rub the product in, i know this shouldn't make a difference with the end result but i just like to do it that way.

Have had no problems what so ever, great feedback from clients and they have even rebooked and asked for me.

I really enjoy giving this treatment.

Whe it was rubbed in - you almost had to cream it up.

At the end - we were told is was SO important to gently buff as this evened it out and the client could go out without looking as though they had been mud wrestling.

We also blended it with moisturiser for the face and what was left on gloved - blended again for the ears.

I think it does last longer than a spray - but I hated the greasy after-feel of it.

just to answer your question about how many pumps for each area of the body;
5- 6 pumps for the front of each leg, then the same for the back
of each leg,
2 pumps for front of each arm then 1 pump tan and equal amount of moisturiser to cover the forearms and underneath the upper arms.
4 pumps for the abdomen
1 pump mixed with equal amounts of moisturiser for the face.

Latest posts

Back