Staff smoking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you should take your breaks and nip out for coffee if you feel so strongly about your colleagues having a smoke,

We should agree to disagree, I would certainly not get changed to have a smoke, wash my hands have a mint and a Skoosh of perfume yes.

It worked well in our salon

I don't smoke but agree smokers should be able to smoke in there own time my last job allowed smoke breaks for smokers which as a non smoker was frustrating as they got more breaks than me :-(

As a former smoker I know that when I smoked if I had ten mins spare and there was a pile of towels needed folding I would chose a fag over folding towels. Now that I'm a non smoker I am less obsessed with my next hit and more vigilant as to what's going on around the salon and putting others needs before my ow ie asking "oh our apprentice is busy so would you like mme to shampoo since you are behind".. The smokers in the salon NEVER as if anyone needs help before nipping out.
If I owned a salon then there would be a strict no smoking policy accept on lunch breaks, so no nipping out

They sound like they need to be taught some respect to be fair. When I was in the salon I was obsessed with basic jobs like towels, wiping down shelves. Appearance is everything, and keeping occupied usually takes my mind off the craving for nicotine. Limit them too set breaks. As I said previously we was limited to just two plus lunch and I usually lasted till lunch anyway then had a quick break in the afternoon.
If you let staff know there's no breaks allowed if jobs need doing then they should respect that x

Last edited by a moderator:
We should agree to disagree, I would certainly not get changed to have a smoke, wash my hands have a mint and a Skoosh of perfume yes.

It worked well in our salon

I just know what my priority was when I was a smoker.. Feeding my addiction ;)

I used to work in a nursery and we could smoke on our lunch break only, had to be well out of sight for parents collecting their children, so I used to grab a coffee on my lunch break and smoke in my car. We were told if we wanted to go out and smoke, we needed to take off our work tshirt as they didn't want the smell of smoke on our clothes, understandably, and that we had to come in and wash our hands. Worked well for us.

Smoking outside the salon is a definite no no in my eyes, and I'm smoker. I can understand that clients would not wish to smell smoke either, again I'm a smoker and I feel like that.

Whatever you decide, this is a prime example of something that needs to be in your policies and procedures. Have a chat with your ladies in question, I think my issue would be that the only day they smoke outside the salon is the day you're not there, so I'm guessing they know they shouldn't be doing it. A polite conversation is all that's needed in my opinion lovey.

I don't think you can be dictating who can and can't smoke during their working day as I am assuming you don't pay them lunch breaks. Some ground rules need to be laid, perhaps something akin to what I used to have to do at the nursery.

Just my thoughts lovey xxx

I smoke and have recently considered giving up through fear of losing clients. I am so so careful to make sure i smoke only when I have a good half an hour free. I have a bottle of listerine mouthwash at work, I always wear leather gloves when smoking, always wear a jacket over my tunic, wash my hands on returning, rinse my mouth, spray perfume and suck a mint lol... It really does make me conscious. I am not saying this is fool proof, but I bumped into one of my clients at a local pub last weekend I was outside having a fag and she was shocked to learn that I smoke so my efforts must mask the scent somewhat, i brushed it off and said i was a social smoker.

I agree that smokers do get extra breaks sometimes to nip for a quick fag but people you have to remember this is an addiction we are talking about. Do you really think I would go through all of the above if I didn't have an urge for nicotine. Would we be so judgmental if someone had to keep nipping to the loo because of bladder / bowel problems.

If someone is taking the p!ss and going out every spare min, then fair enough but a quick cig in their break away from the building is not something you have any right to moan about. Remember a happy workforce means more productivity.

In response to the original OP i would be furious that they smoked in front of the salon and would defo have a word with them but I don't think you can stop them smoking in their breaks.

I smoke and have recently considered giving up through fear of losing clients. I am so so careful to make sure i smoke only when I have a good half an hour free. I have a bottle of listerine mouthwash at work, I always wear leather gloves when smoking, always wear a jacket over my tunic, wash my hands on returning, rinse my mouth, spray perfume and suck a mint lol... It really does make me conscious. I am not saying this is fool proof, but I bumped into one of my clients at a local pub last weekend I was outside having a fag and she was shocked to learn that I smoke so my efforts must mask the scent somewhat, i brushed it off and said i was a social smoker.

I agree that smokers do get extra breaks sometimes to nip for a quick fag but people you have to remember this is an addiction we are talking about. Do you really think I would go through all of the above if I didn't have an urge for nicotine. Would we be so judgmental if someone had to keep nipping to the loo because of bladder / bowel problems.

If someone is taking the p!ss and going out every spare min, then fair enough but a quick cig in their break away from the building is not something you have any right to moan about. Remember a happy workforce means more productivity.

In response to the original OP i would be furious that they smoked in front of the salon and would defo have a word with them but I don't think you can stop them smoking in their breaks.
You can't use the addiction thing as an excuse. If that's the case then maybe you should let me nip out for a slice of strong cheddar cheese and a shot of Lemoncello whenever the urge strikes;)
I read Allan Carr the easy way to stop smoking and it is amazing! 3 years smoke free from 20 a day and the main reason is this thought "smokers don't enjoy anything else in their lives as it is marred by thoughts of when they will get their next hit, meals out, family weddings etc are all ruined by a white stick which ultimately will probably kill you"

To the original poster this is totally unacceptable and the ladies should be given a stern talking to! In my opinion in some professions it may be fine to smoke but in ours we are trying to educate clients in looking after their skin and promoting good health so standing outside having a fag is completely contradictory ! Times have changed and like it or not smoking is not socially accepted anymore as all of the bans have shown

I have to agree on the addiction thing, you wouldn't tolerate that behaviour from an alcoholic or junkie x

I think the point here is that, we need to separate our personal views on whether we agree with smoking or not, and look at this solely from a business point of view- is it acceptable to smoke outside the salon? No, as said, I don't think it is. Your ladies don't do this on any other day except from when you are not there, kind of says it all to me.

For what it's worth, I smoke, and everyone is very surprised that I do, as they can never smell it on me. :)

Girls in our salon smoke. They seem to think that washing their hands and spraying perfume masks it but it doesn't. As a non-smoker I can always smell it on their hands if doing my brows and sometimes on their clothes. Clients have also commented on this but it hasn't stopped them. Would seem their "addiction" is more important than a job or negative client comments.

But in your own time which is what lunch and breaks are you can not say no you can't do that it's there time.

I smoke I have a bottle of fabreeze to spray my clothes, wash my hands and use a fragranced hand cream perfume and use a breath spray no one has mentioned smoke but have had comments on how nice my perfume is!

I have to agree on the addiction thing, you wouldn't tolerate that behaviour from an alcoholic or junkie x

You wouldn't employ and alcoholic or drug user, you would not let them work in the salon under the influence of anything so it's completely different from a nicotine addiction.

Its not the same as having a craving a piece of food or a drink, as a previous poster said so I'm not sure how your comparing fancying food over a strong nicotine addiction.

You should only smoke on allocated breaks, and make sure you wash up and smell fresh for when you return. You cant stop someone smoking, If that's the case then employ only non smokers.

They shouldn't smoke outside the salon at all, and should have more respect for you not to do this. X

When I was doing my course and when I go to college I always made sure I put a coat on to have a smoke also sanitised my hands and had a mint to stop the smell, I'd be no more than 3 mins and only went for one when I needed one which is every few hours but I always make sure I don't smell of smoke and I'd go behind the college where nobody can see me if people choose to smoke then that is their choice but I do agree they should do everything they can to not smell of it and go out of site from the public.

I think it's interesting that you never noticed they smoked .....
Smoking in uniform and out the front is a no no.

I smoke ... and I smoke outside the salon, I am booked 8 hours a day, and 8 clients in that time, sometimes more (fixing the odd nail in between clients).

I don't have time for break as such ....... my clients understand I smoke and will often say "do you want to have a cigarette before starting me"? They know how busy I am ... we have an understanding and that's just the way it works for me.

I work alone and don't have much choice.

Something you have to be careful of if you start setting rules for them .......
they may start setting rules for you .....

IE,: strict starting times, strict finishing times, strict lunch breaks ..... all the things that employees are entitled to (and can bring you undone by not playing by the rules).

I think some fair flexibility is a great approach and some simple ground rules. ........, this can keep everyone happy:)

I appreciate a non-smokers right to not breath my smoke (fair enough) for health more than anything else.

I wish people with strong perfume appreciated my sense of smell too (sometimes so strong I can taste it).

I wish for lots of things (along a 2 way street), but find myself having to be "tolerant".

Last edited:
So you wouldn't employ a drug user or alcoholic but you would employ a nicotine addict? I believe that's discrimination. You simply can not use the addiction thing as an excuse. Stopping smoking is easy. I know from experience

If they want to smoke then they can, in their own time. Everyone is entitled to a 20 min break for a certain amount of hours but it doesn't have to be paid, if they want to smoke away from the salon on unpaid breaks then let them

So you wouldn't employ a drug user or alcoholic but you would employ a nicotine addict? I believe that's discrimination. You simply can not use the addiction thing as an excuse. Stopping smoking is easy. I know from experience

If stopping smoking was so easy the goverment would not fund and pump so much energy in to stop smoking aids! If you research stopping smoking it is a hard yhing to do that is a fact and as for alcholics and drug users that is totally diffrent as if you were drinking on the job or taking drugs they would both impair your work you simply couldnt function

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

That's just silly to mention ... you can't work to capacity (or sensibly) on drugs or alcohol (it's against the law) and every insurer ... and it isn't discrimination, it's work health and safety.

For you it was easy, for MANY others not so much ...... nuthin worse than a reformed smoker :) (so they say) ....

If they want to smoke then they can, in their own time. Everyone is entitled to a 20 min break for a certain amount of hours but it doesn't have to be paid, if they want to smoke away from the salon on unpaid breaks then let them

Smoking in your lunch break is fine if you worked for a big chain thats all you would get you simply cant just pop out for a cig when you wish or when its quite x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back