Staff smoking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gawd luv, you are a real "born again" enough already, we get the point :)

You are like the person that stands at the traffic lights and presses the button 20 times (the light got the idea the first time), they are not fooled that 20 people are waiting to cross the street :)

Hardly! Btw my uncle is dying from lung cancer atm but I dont tell my friends what to do regarding smoking. Thats their decision... But as a paying customer i will not tolerate the smell...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardly! Btw my uncle is dying from lung cancer atm but I dont tell my friends what to do regarding smoking. Thats their decision... But as a paying customer i will not tolerate the smell...

One of my staff died from lung cancer (never smoked in her life, as quite a few do).

My dad has bowel cancer, but I don't play that card at the first opportunity regarding peoples weight issues obviously from a bad diet which can lead to the same end ........:|

Vegans carry on too, so do the "organics", I live and let live, people are responsible for their own lives, their own evils and their own end ....

Maybe one day a non-smoker brigade will come knock on my front door like some person pushing religion, then I can tell them how I really feel .... not much effort really .... just 2 words

What you should really be careful of is Dihydrogen Monoxide, it's very dangerous stuff and kills people daily .......http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Last edited:
So you wouldn't employ a drug user or alcoholic but you would employ a nicotine addict? I believe that's discrimination. You simply can not use the addiction thing as an excuse. Stopping smoking is easy. I know from experience

That's a bit melodramatic don't you think? I'm sure you would love to have a heroin addict as a colleague, or an alcoholic for that matter. Cigarettes don't alter someone's state of mind like drugs and alcohol so it's totally not the same thing!

And quitting smoking is not easy for most people, good for you that you managed to quit without any difficulty but the majority of smokers find it extremely hard.

How would everyone feel if their staff wanted to smoke those electronic cigarettes would they be ok to use in the salon in breaks in view of clients or do you think it should still be out of view.Its a strange thing now to see people 'smoking' as such again in pubs etc they are becoming very popular.Not sure they work though.

One of my staff died from lung cancer (never smoked in her life, as quite a few do).

My dad has bowel cancer, but I don't play that card at the first opportunity regarding peoples weight issues obviously from a bad diet which can lead to the same end ........:|

Vegans carry on too, so do the "organics", I live and let live, people are responsible for their own lives, their own evils and their own end ....

Maybe one day a non-smoker brigade will come knock on my front door like some person pushing religion, then I can tell them how I really feel .... not much effort really .... just 2 words

What you should really be careful of is Dihydrogen Monoxide, it's very dangerous stuff and kills people daily .......Facts About Dihydrogen Monoxide

:lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a bit melodramatic don't you think? I'm sure you would love to have a heroin addict as a colleague, or an alcoholic for that matter. Cigarettes don't alter someone's state of mind like drugs and alcohol so it's totally not the same thing!

And quitting smoking is not easy for most people, good for you that you managed to quit without any difficulty but the majority of smokers find it extremely hard.

Actually anyone with an addiction is in a constant altered state of mind. Be it fags, alcohol, cocaine, or anything else. Trust me, I have first hand experience of addiction and have done a lot of research on all aspects.
I'm not holier then though because I chose not to spend my money on smoking or have to stand outside and miss out on funny jokes or important announcement because to a smoker, getting their hit is above all else. I was smoking 20 plus a day, I am ashamed to say that even pregnancy the first time didnt stop me (my biggest failure as a parent to date) what stopped me was when my three year old had a nightmare and when I went to comfort him he told me I stank and cried for his daddy. Proof that yes non smokers you are in close proximity to (ie someone you are giving a facial to) may be repulsed and disgusted by the stench

I think the point you are missing is the blatant disrespect the members of staff showed. They obviously knew the OP wouldn't approve and so did it when they knew she wasn't in.

I'm gonna try that traffic light trick, I hope it thinks there are 50 people waiting, so I can cross the street faster
Very pedantic.. Off to run 14 miles now in the fresh air. Enjoy your lung full of chemicals ;-) lol xx

To quote that article "the dangers are slight and manageable"

It's a very dangerous chemical which causes death and we are exposed to it daily ..... and should take precautions, you should check out the site, it's been found in cancers too .... and newborns .... it worries me more than smoking.

I'm gonna try that traffic light trick, I hope it thinks there are 50 people waiting, so I can cross the street faster

It's a very dangerous chemical which causes death and we are exposed to it daily ..... and should take precautions, you should check out the site, it's been found in cancers too .... and newborns .... it worries me more than smoking.

I checked it out..looks like your screwed ;) what with that and the smoking lol xx

I think some people need to have a fag and chill :)
This thread should be closed now as some people are too opinionated and are getting personal.

I think some people need to have a fag and chill :)
This thread should be closed now as some people are too opinionated and are getting personal.

I'm only joking!like to think its friendly banter lol

The worst time for me was when I was having a full head of foils- the young girl said "oh "whoever" take over these foils I'm gagging for a smoke! " and left me lol....she then came back stinking!!!! Didn't even wash her hands! I'm a smoker myself and wouldn't dream of doing that! I wear a jacket, carry chewing gum and spray and I also wipe my hands with a nice smelling wipe (I'm mobile) I also never smoke before a client!!

To the OP smoking outside the salon is not acceptable, just the same as swearing down the phone or shouting in the street would be unacceptable, as its unpleasant for people to see. As for the smell I would suggest the electronic cig! They can have a puff in the staff room no one will see or smell it and there's no harm. Maby the salon owners would like to suggest it in passing! Say you've heard good things about it! That would completely solve the problem of the smell. X

To the OP smoking outside the salon is not acceptable, just the same as swearing down the phone or shouting in the street would be unacceptable, as its unpleasant for people to see. As for the smell I would suggest the electronic cig! They can have a puff in the staff room no one will see or smell it and there's no harm. Maby the salon owners would like to suggest it in passing! Say you've heard good things about it! That would completely solve the problem of the smell. X

Ha i'm using one of those at the moment! Its funny though but people seem to react to it in the same way as they do to smoking, I certainly don't think i'd be brave enough to start vaping in front of a client. It does stop me stinking of ciggies though, the solution I use actually smells of cherries :) Perhaps this could be the way forward for smoking staff?

I have one of the e cigarettes. They are ace once you get used to them, their main downside is because you dot get that "hit" you tend to find you use
It for say an hour rather than 5 minutes.
My view when I was using it was I'm not bothered about using this for life as there is no chemicals that are harmful.
To the person quoting drugs, as if, drugs and alcohol are a lot worse, nicotine doesn't give you hallucinations, won't make you drowsy... Don't take a anti histamine, its worse than nicotine as you can get drowsy off them. Would you reprimand a member of staff for using one?
To the person saying about cancers... It's a sad reality but even children die of cancer. They aren't on 20 a day. So I'm sorry to say but some people just get it, I probably will is the hard to swallow truth (my aunt had bone cancer and I can't remember its name, she survived. My uncle had lung cancer, he died, another uncle had bowel cancer and died, my grandmother had brain, lung and one on her leg, no idea which one actually caused her death but all of the above are non smokers... My grandfather died of natural causes, basically old age, at 84, smoked all his life about 60 a day, worked down the coal mines, was in 2 wars. So no it's not the be all and end all of cancer) and I have to get used to the fact. And yet my mum works in a doctors, a lady was diagnosed with cancer and was told to smoke as it was the only known thing to keep the cancer at bay at that time. The doctors also don't recommend you quit smoking so much as the shock to the body has meant that over 400 people have died in 5 years in north Wales when other than smoking there was nothing the doctor was concerned with (this is over all of north Wales not just one surgery) xoxo

I have one of the e cigarettes. They are ace once you get used to them, their main downside is because you dot get that "hit" you tend to find you use
My view when I was using it was I'm not bothered about using this for life as there is no chemicals that are harmful.
To the person quoting drugs, as if, drugs and alcohol are a lot worse, nicotine doesn't give you hallucinations, won't make you drowsy... Don't take a anti histamine, its worse than nicotine as you can get drowsy off them. Would you reprimand a member of staff for using one?
To the person saying about cancers... It's a sad reality but even children die of cancer. They aren't on 20 a day. So I'm sorry to say but some people just get it, I probably will is the hard to swallow truth (my aunt had bone cancer and I can't remember its name, she survived. My uncle had lung cancer, he died, another uncle had bowel cancer and died, my grandmother had brain, lung and one on her leg, no idea which one actually caused her death but all of the above are non smokers... My grandfather died of natural causes, basically old age, at 84, smoked all his life about 60 a day, worked down the coal mines, was in 2 wars. So no it's not the be all and end all of cancer) and I have to get used to the fact. And yet my mum works in a doctors, a lady was diagnosed with cancer and was told to smoke as it was the only known thing to keep the cancer at bay at that time. The doctors also don't recommend you quit smoking so much as the shock to the body has meant that over 400 people have died in 5 years in north Wales when other than smoking there was nothing the doctor was concerned with (this is over all of north Wales not just one surgery) xoxo

Oh look..it's official..the doctors are all wrong..lol xx sorry but you sound just like I did when I was a smoker lol

I have never agreed with anything so much in my life! Well said! My great aunt smoked 60 a day for 65 years and died at the age of 97 from natural causes, my mum has cancer and the doctors said to her smoke all you like if smoking caused cancer there would be a cure!!

I agree without of you on the basis that its down to personal views. I recently quit smoking so agree that if you are a smoker you do need to fix cravings when they kick in but I would be so mortified if I had ever smelt of cigarettes after a quick cig or god forbid.if a client ever saw me. Would be sheer embarrassment I think smoking breaks is downto your bosses personal opinion on the matter and do free that that it shouldn't be in from of the salon and out of site. I recently walked past a hair dressers and two of their staff in uniform with aprons on we're both stood having a fag chatting away in the doorway it looked so unprofessional and makes the salon image look cheap and as if they couldn't care less. There is always a time and a place as long as you not harming anyone and your not smelling of it then that's that.

Latest posts

Back