Stained nails from hair dye.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helen17

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the best way to remove hair colour staining from a clients nails? t is not always possible for her to wear gloves and several of her nails are badly stained.

are they her natural nails or enhancements...?

i would gently buff the surface over and use a nail brightner.

ive tryed all those home remedies, lemon, bleach etc nothing works.
hth's

if the staining is REAL bad make sure neither off you over buff to remove staining. it will wear off over time but if its a regular thing you dont want to keep buffing them as they will start getting thin.
best advice IS TO wear gloves, its a hard life :(

I use a non soak off gel so my hairdresser clients don't have this problem...nothing stains them.:)

If available, you can go to a Sally's or most beauty supply stores and buy some Hair Color Stain Remover by L'Oreal, its works on both natural nails and enhancements. =)

But be sure to wash it off asap. The thing really does start burning after a minute. :(

Denture cleaner works like a charm on natural or enhanced nails, I've never had a problem with tint staining my enhancements though, not even really dark tint, my hands look awful but the enhancements stay beautiful and shiny!

Ok Im sorry but I see this a lot, somebody asks a question..how do you get whatever out of or clean this off... nd then people come up with answers like...

Denture cleaner gets stains off nails...its a great thing to know.. BUT.. how do you know ..who thought to try it in the first place...sorry for hijacking thread... XX

Ok Im sorry but I see this a lot, somebody asks a question..how do you get whatever out of or clean this off... nd then people come up with answers like...

Denture cleaner gets stains off nails...its a great thing to know.. BUT.. how do you know ..who thought to try it in the first place...sorry for hijacking thread... XX
History. LOL

Artificial nail enhancements were started by a denturist who made crowns, bridges and artificial teeth. The original nail enhancement monomer was the dreaded ugly step sister MMA, it has a wonderful, strong, beautiful much nicer sister EMA which is used today.

Growing up in the salon, literally, I learned and remembered some of the "handed down" tricks that work. We never stopped using it even though the products became more advanced. Who knows who came up with it in the first place, but if denture cleaner can get coffee and blueberry off, it should at least lighten tint stain....

If available, you can go to a Sally's or most beauty supply stores and buy some Hair Color Stain Remover by L'Oreal, its works on both natural nails and enhancements. =)

But be sure to wash it off asap. The thing really does start burning after a minute. :(

BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU TAKE THIS ROUTE,
it can eat away at the delicate hyponichium and cause nail separation.

I agree,the best way bar far is to wear protective clothing,in this case GLOVES !

Crap. This makes sense.

I dyed a girls hair today and I didn't have any gloves with me, I tried to get it off of my fingertips as I went along but it stained my nails.

I used some color remover like the Loreal kind, but nothing. Then I read online to actually put a little of the leftover color on and then rinse it off. Obviously neither thing worked, and now my nails hurt, if that's even possible. I have natural, very hard nails. But they hurt especially when I took a shower and the hot water hit them.

Ugh. What should I do? What would happen if i polished them? They aren't going to fall off are they.... :mad: [I am NEVER forgetting gloves again!!!!!!]

Sometimes gloves don't always work or they break.

What I always do on my salon girls is I get the OPI Axxium UV gel sealer and use that as a top coat, I also put it on the underside of the enhancements. It works great and it never stains the nail...

At least not 'til Jessie lets it grow out nearly a month and her own nails get stained. lol o_O

Latest posts

Back