Start up advice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisadm01

Reaction score
Ok guys looking for some help/suggestions from my fellow Geeks. I've been working at a salon for 5 years now and have decided to branch out on my own! ( nerve wracking ) at the salon I've been using Jessica Geleration on nails and Elemis for skin. Whilst I love these products they are costly especially when just starting up! What do you use or recommend? X

I need the same advice especially skin care and promoting x

Ive just started up and agree...its expensive! Everyone raves about shellac and gellish and rightly so, they are amazing products. However I've just started using Gellux and find its as equally good a product. The process is the same and whilst there isn't the massive range of colours, its perfect for starting out.

In terms of facial ranges, I've started using Kaeso. It smells amazing and from what I've seen so far, gives really good results. Its so reasonably priced too. There are lots of posts on here about it which is what led me to give it a go. I use the facial range, manicure and pedicure products.

Good luck with it all! X

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

These companies don't always charge more for there product because it's higher quality (sometimes it is but sometimes you find something else equal), they charge more because you're buying into the brand. Everyone knows CND Shellac. The marketing they have done over the years makes people pick that brand before they even know it themselves.

When my partner was looking for somewhere to get her nails done she just keep ringing around saying 'do you do CND Shellac?' If the answer was no we use such and such she would move on to the next. I know my partner is a bit of a nutter but I don't think she's the only one who does this lol.

Hi - I'm opening my beauty room on Saturday! I use cuccio veneer gel polish - love it. To be honest, so many of my clients just ask for gel polish and as long as it is applied well and lasts they have not been bothered about the brand. That may change when I open my room but so far they know the treatment rather than the brand.

I'm looking to use Eve Taylor as my skincare range. Their start up mobile range is perfect for what I need - not too sure how many people will want facials tbh even thought it is one of my favourite treatments.

I'm using a generic creme wax and hot wax but hope to move to something better once I see how many people want this treatment - suck it and see. I will put more money into the most popular treatments. Good luck! x

Thanks guys I've gone with OPI for nails but still really stuck on facial products! Starting up on your own is so scary! Xx

I use Kaeso products for facials as well. They smell good and work for men and women. It's very fresh and clients comment on the same. It's not over priced and good for starting out, as it's not bog standard out of a salon services either. They natural and animal friendly too!

Have you looked at Monu products. I have used them for many years. I love them & so do my clients. Contact them for samples so you can try them first.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I echo Sandydee - Monu are nice but I'm hoping to go with Eve Taylor :)

Have you looked at Monu products. I have used them for many years. I love them & so do my clients. Contact them for samples so you can try them first.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I will definitely contact them and give the samples a try, it's so daunting trying to make the right choice. Thank you x

I echo Sandydee - Monu are nice but I'm hoping to go with Eve Taylor :)

I've heard Eve Taylor are a nice product, let me know how you get on with it x

I've just switched from Eve Taylor to Monu.. 2 reasons..
1. All but a couple of body products can be used on pregnant clients, ( I have 2 at the moment)whereas only one range is suitable in ET....
2. The Monu range smells more 'traditionally facial' if that makes sense..ET are quite strong in aroma , and my clients weren't keen..they prefer the floral scents...since swapping I have had 3 new bookings from existing clients for other treatments who I showed the new products off to. I did the same when I got the ET stuff and didn't get the same reaction!!

I personally like both ranges, but just started using the Monu myself and I do prefer it...has marine collagen and hyularonic acid in the products..all good for wrinkly dinosaurs like me.. ;) and my feeling is that these are ingredients found in a higher calibre of product..

Why not get samples from both and see what you prefer,bearing in mind your client type? x

When I was first starting up I got lots of advice and help from Lynne Baker @ Calla. They distribute Swissdermyl, only supply qualified therapists and the products are amazing. I trained in Dermalogica at college but find Swissdermyl just as good xx

Latest posts

Back