Starting college

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi - I started my beauty training (part-time - evenings) last year at the tender age of 40. I was also nervous but it was fantastic - loved learning and honing my new skills.

I start back at college in 5/6 weeks time to begin my level 3 massage route course. I'm super excited as I've missed learning new things.

I'm employed full-time, have a home and son to maintain - it can get a little stressful but those times will pass and the friendships with 'beauty buddies' and tutors outweigh all the moments. If I could offer a little advice - don't get behind on assignments or revising - I know its easy to say but work can soon back-up. Practice, practice, practice - this will make life so much easier when you come to practical assessments - I bought a beauty bed off ebay and started offering free treatments to friends etc. just to get the routines etc. off by heart. I passed all my assessments first time :)

I really wish you luck - its the best thing I've ever done and can't wait to get back in September :)

Wow thank you so much that's great advice , I can be a bit complacent and tend to leave things to the last minute but I will definetly make a point of getting things done on time , can I ask how much you paid for you're bed if you don't mind ? Xxx

I too am starting a beauty course in October after 20 years nursing. I'm 38 in October. Good luck.

Wow good on you and good luck to you to , think it would be great if we all let each other know how we are getting on !! Xxx

What financial support did u all have? Im 24 and in a full time job and im wanting to go back college but im worried about how in going to be able to pay my bills 😰 very difficult

I'm waiting to hear if I'm getting a bursary , that's nerve wracking in itself lol xx

I got a mobile bed and I think it cost £70ish - it is a little heavy but strong. I will look for something electric in time but I'm more than happy at the moment and I've have some larger clients - never had a problem.

I bought the skintruth (salon services) skin range - not amazing but it did the job while I was training. You can buy sets for about £18 for each skin type but I only bought soothing and equalising for oily skin. When you are training (and the treatements are free or really cheap) its about YOU - honing your skills. Yes, it is important to assess skin and identify types/issues but I mainly used the soothing range because it was about practice not giving amazing results. I'm now looking at Eve Taylor - I now charge so I need a good range with results.

Remember you will need student insurance if you are going to practice on the wider public.

As I was defo over 24 :( and full-time employed, I didn't get any help with my costs. However, our college are fab and spread the cost over 10 months. 24+ loans are available but only for level 3 or above - I'm just had mine approved for this year - whoop.

Another tip - you are encouraged to buy the college kit - I didn't. I think the girls paid about £300! The text book retails at approx £35 - I bought it off ebay for £10. I contacted the college and asked them for a kit list and bought direct from wholesalers/ebay and I got everything (including make-up kit) for about £150. When you are funding the course yourself, every little saving helps!

Any questions just message me! :lol:

I got a mobile bed and I think it cost £70ish - it is a little heavy but strong. I will look for something electric in time but I'm more than happy at the moment and I've have some larger clients - never had a problem.

I bought the skintruth (salon services) skin range - not amazing but it did the job while I was training. You can buy sets for about £18 for each skin type but I only bought soothing and equalising for oily skin. When you are training (and the treatements are free or really cheap) its about YOU - honing your skills. Yes, it is important to assess skin and identify types/issues but I mainly used the soothing range because it was about practice not giving amazing results. I'm now looking at Eve Taylor - I now charge so I need a good range with results.

Remember you will need student insurance if you are going to practice on the wider public.

As I was defo over 24 :( and full-time employed, I didn't get any help with my costs. However, our college are fab and spread the cost over 10 months. 24+ loans are available but only for level 3 or above - I'm just had mine approved for this year - whoop.

Another tip - you are encouraged to buy the college kit - I didn't. I think the girls paid about £300! The text book retails at approx £35 - I bought it off ebay for £10. I contacted the college and asked them for a kit list and bought direct from wholesalers/ebay and I got everything (including make-up kit) for about £150. When you are funding the course yourself, every little saving helps!

Any questions just message me! :lol:

That's great thank you , I've been having a wee look online . I just received confirmation of my bursary which Is a huge relief !! I was under the impression that our kits came with the course ( I'd better find out ) , I've seen the skin truth range but I'll check it out a bit more , I'm getting really excited now 😄😄

Hi. Im too starting college in September and im 39 .. (think i will be the oldest ) going into this Industry late in life .. wishing you good luck .. enjoy .. im really excited and cant wait to start :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi. Im too starting college in September and im 39 .. (think i will be the oldest ) going into this Industry late in life .. wishing you good luck .. enjoy .. im really excited and cant wait to start :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Good luck to you too , look at us being all brave !! Would love to hear how you all get on x

I'd start your reading and studying now if you can get hold of the books.

I agree - I got my level 3 book a couple of weeks ago and I'm swotting up on anatomy now - so many systems and bones/muscles/veins etc to learn

Hi, I started college at 46 and I wasn't the youngest in the class. Really enjoyed the course, my kids are grown now so it was good to have something new to focus on. I'm going to start on level 3 in September. It's nice I think to have a mix of ages.

Where can I find out what my book list will be ? I'm doing SVQ level 2 beauty therapy 😊

I agree - I got my level 3 book a couple of weeks ago and I'm swotting up on anatomy now - so many systems and bones/muscles/veins etc to learn

Where can I find out what my reading list will be ? X

Latest posts

Back