Starting out

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeleyp

Reaction score
Hi i am interested in learning hairdressing, but not sure which is the best course to do as i work full time?

I dont want to work in a salon while i learn?

Any help appreciated
:lol:

Thanks x

Hi i am interested in learning hairdressing, but not sure which is the best course to do as i work full time?

I dont want to work in a salon while i learn?

Any help appreciated
:lol:

Thanks x

Hi Honey if you go to the search engine on the home page and type in training there will be loads of advice they for you

Hi Honey if you go to the search engine on the home page and type in training there will be loads of advice they for you
Brill thank you so much x

Hiya! Do you plan to work in a salon once you are trained? I trained on the job, working 4 days in a hair salon and doing one day at college. I found this an excellent way to learn faster as you're always watching the other stylists work, you can have 'model nights' for extra training, plus you get to interact with and get to know lots of clients!
Doing a Hairdressing course at college without working in a salon too means you will not have the experience of a busy salon environment and how to run your column efficiently. However if you cant give up your full time job to train, im sure there are evening courses or part-time courses you could do, google your local colleges to see if they offer an NVQ level 1 and 2 in Hairdressing. X

My local college does a part time course in the evenings, worth checking at your local college and finding out exactly what they offer.

another option might be going on a 1 or 2 week intensive course somewhere, but this ad its pro's and cons like everything :)

Hi
Most colleges do an evening course which is part time, The cost for level 1 is about £1000. If you work you wont get funding but you can spread the payments over 3 payments or 4.
Once you do level 2 the goverment fund this for everyone.

Hi, i started NVQ level 2 at my local college in September, I go Tuesday and Wednesday nights from 5 - 9 and I will be finished in June. I have recently started working voluntarily at the salon where i have my hair done on a Saturday morning, just to gain salon experience as I don't think just going to college gives you enough.
Good Luck!

Hiya! Do you plan to work in a salon once you are trained? I trained on the job, working 4 days in a hair salon and doing one day at college. I found this an excellent way to learn faster as you're always watching the other stylists work, you can have 'model nights' for extra training, plus you get to interact with and get to know lots of clients!
Doing a Hairdressing course at college without working in a salon too means you will not have the experience of a busy salon environment and how to run your column efficiently. However if you cant give up your full time job to train, im sure there are evening courses or part-time courses you could do, google your local colleges to see if they offer an NVQ level 1 and 2 in Hairdressing. X

I completely agree.. Training whilst working in a salon is hands down the best way to learn. You are hands on with the clients, you are watching qualified, experienced stylists all the time, getting their advice and tips & also, 9 times out of 10, you qualify a lot quicker than you generally would in full time college because you don't have anyone else holding you back from your learning and getting your assessments etc done. Another advantage of apprenticeships and working in salons along side training, is that you already have that salon experience and have your job when you qualify. Many now are finding it difficult to get a job even when they are qualified, they can't get their foot in the door so to speak.

I'd have another think and see if you could get into a salon...

Latest posts

Back