starting up by myself?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helenlovesnails

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice and opinions really.

I work full time in a salon at the moment, but i am looking to change to part time then work privately part time as i would like a change.

At the moment i have about 6 regular clients but would need to build this up to about 20 to be able to afford to make this change.

I am worried because going from full time to part i am losing guaranteed income.

Any thoughts on this? how long has it taken people to build up client bases?

any help would be great!

I dont know if this is possible for you, but could you get a part time eve job,maybe cleaning offices,bar work,shop work, are a couple of ideas,possibly somewhere where you could leave a poster or flyers for you to advertise your nail biz at the same time?

I took the plunge from employment to self employment in December 2007 ,still no sign of a regular client base,though geeks have said on here in previous threads that it can take up to about a year to get a decent client base.:rolleyes:

we usually advise our partners that it may take 2 years you take off (if you see what I mean)...

so you either have the money needed either find another part time job, either stay where you are until you... improve your skills or get more clients (or both of course!!)

but you have to really consider leaving because it can soon be a problem money wise.

Hi! I did the same last november. I am renting a room in a hairdresser salon, but there client's are 'old' ladies... so a have just a few of them.
Yes it is realy takes a long time to built up a base..I belive in these summer with my permanent ferench toes :)
Pluss learn Waxing is good idea as well= can be more money!
Don't give up! Good luck!
Agnes

Hi
When i decided to go it alone my boss didnt want me working for her part time in case i took clients with me (which i wouldnt do!) so i just had to go for it. Im trading 6 months now and starting to get a real good client base built up but i put out special offers every month to build up new clients (free back massage with every facial...that sort of thing) and it is really working
Good luck and let us know how you get on with it x:lol:

i think if you are passionate about what you do and hot on promoting yourself, and definately good at what you do those 6 clients will all have 2 friends each that will have treatments at the least, failing that visit gyms, hairdressers, old peoples homes, nurserys etc with cards and fliers, put an add in the local paper most of them run a beauty feature once a month adds from £30....make sure you have a catchy add with a great offer for first time customers!!!! its so great being self employed!
i know it can take some people a long time to build up but personally i got busy really quick so dont worry id just take the plunge.....
xxxxxx

Hiya,

I work fulltime in an office during the day and I have my own Nail business at home after hours. It is alot of hard work and I do get tired at times but I know the end result will pay off. I am building up my business slowly, I have about 16 permanent clients now, so that is great! I am currently considering going part time at my office job and eventually, when the business grows even more I can go full time at home.

Hope this info helps, but I would say to definately go for it, start part time, then you are not losing out on money. You will reap so many more rewards, especially monetary. The money you can earn working for yourself, instead of working for someone else, is substantially more than you think.

Goodluck. xx

i left my salon in january and started to work in an office as i thought loads of potential clients things were slow for the first couple of months coz not many people new who i was or new what i did then i did my friends hair who was a supervisor so every one new her and then the last couple of weeks iv done loads of clients and 3 of them were managers so try going to an office jus untill u build up

Latest posts

Back