Stopped smoking - anyone done it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lush-Lash

Reaction score
Hi geeks, anyone stopped smoking?

I stopped early last year before we had ivf treatment & our ivf was successful but sadly we had a missed miscarriage at just under 10 weeks pregnant.
(miscarriage when I wasn't even a smoker grrr!!) so i started smoking again as was obviously a very stressful time for me.

Tried to stop numerous times after miscarriage but started up each time with in a few days :eek:

But I'm now pleased to say I'm an ex smoker again & i haven't given in ! Not a single puff of a fag - only down side is im nearly a stone heavier to compromise :eek:

I'm on my second round of ivf right now so wouldn't dream of lighting up whilst doing treatment or whilst pregnant etc.. just hope it all works out this time!

So those who have stopped, how long have you been stopped? How did you stop? I'm still finding it hard but keep thinking of the joy of finding out my ivf has worked after 10 years trying for a baby, only thing keeping me sane :) x

First i really want to wish you luck with your ivf! I quit smoking around 4 years ago when pregnant also and i said i would start once baby was born but obviously not around the baby or before holding him. When my son was born he had a serious heart condition (not smoking related) and so i decided not to start again. Now i only have a cigarette if i go on a night out and then its only a couple. Good luck hun and keep that willpower strong xxxxx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Hi geeks, anyone stopped smoking?

I stopped early last year before we had ivf treatment & our ivf was successful but sadly we had a missed miscarriage at just under 10 weeks pregnant.
(miscarriage when I wasn't even a smoker grrr!!) so i started smoking again as was obviously a very stressful time for me.

Tried to stop numerous times after miscarriage but started up each time with in a few days :eek:

But I'm now pleased to say I'm an ex smoker again & i haven't given in ! Not a single puff of a fag - only down side is im nearly a stone heavier to compromise :eek:

I'm on my second round of ivf right now so wouldn't dream of lighting up whilst doing treatment or whilst pregnant etc.. just hope it all works out this time!

So those who have stopped, how long have you been stopped? How did you stop? I'm still finding it hard but keep thinking of the joy of finding out my ivf has worked after 10 years trying for a baby, only thing keeping me sane :) x
I dont smoke personally

But my nanna is 86 now she had been smoking since she was like 16 then at the age of 64 she got a hole in her lung and had to stop and since then never has, She did but on weight but she did lose it

So you can defintely do it

Good luck with your ivf aswell !!!!

That's almost exactly what happened to me - not the IVF, but got pregnant, stopped smoking and had a miscarriage, so started smoking again. When I got pregnant again, I smoked until I was at the stage that I miscarried, and when I realised this baby was hanging on in there, I stopped. Said baby is now 20 and I have never touched a cigarette since. I was a true blue out and out smoker - about 20-30 a day, and I just stopped dead (read The Easy Way to Stop Smoking as well). I truly believe that I am an addictive personality, and I know that for me there is no such thing as 1 cigarette or 1 puff. All I can say is keep up the good work. When really crappy things happen, I still think 'thank god I don't smoke'. Stress happens to non smokers as well, and they get through it. Really recommend the book if you're struggling, but it sounds like you're doing brilliantly. I do remember trying to keep myself busy, and planning how I would cope without a fag. Well done, and maybe let us know how it goes!!! Good luck x

Hiya,

Good luck and you can do it!!!
I stopped last march (2012) just before I fell pregnant.

I started with the patches and when I found out I was pregnant I decided to go nicotine cold turkey. That was hard, I'd been a 20-30 a day smoker for 15 years!!!

Like squidgeball I read Allen carrs easy way to stop smoking and it cured me. It made me understand how I was trapped in a smoking cycle and dispelled the myths and all the stuff that I believed in such as "I enjoyed smoking" "my morning fag would wake me up" " my bedtime cig would make me sleep etc.

After reading I had NO withdrawarel symptoms because I realised that they don't exsist, and I could BREATH again!

I'd definaty recommend getting a copy esp If you have stopped as it will help you to keep off the cigs !!

Good luck with the ivf and "giving up" smoking.... But ur not giving up anything, just gaining so much more .xxx

Really hope IVF goes well for you Lush Lash, I quit smoking a year ago now I just stopped but my boyfriend doesn't smoke so found that helped loads, I put on 2 stone or so :eek: which I've lost now thank god. Honestly it is one of the best things I've ever done :) x

Iv been trying on and off for yrs, the longest Iv managed off the fags was 6 months, and that was in patches.

It's do bloody hard, sounds strange but I actually like smoking, hate the smell.

I have to admit I smoked through my pregnancies (3) tried to stop on and off throughout them all. First 2 were 9lb 8oz and 3rd was 6lb 9oz ( and I was tiny) so goodness knows where the first 2 came from!

Good luck and try not to stress about the smoking

Really hope the ivf works out for you, the worlds a cruel place for decent folk..xx

Got booted out of the stop smoking club in disgrace at my docs.
Have tried patches, gum, Alan Carr books, hypnosis (twice) and champix.
Smoking a fag as we speak

Hypnotherapy - one 1-hour session never smoked since. Think it's been 3 years clean now.

Good luck :)

Hmm persianista, I failed the carbon monoxide reading twice at a smoking group a few years ago, kept thinking a fag outside the meeting before it started wouldn't make a difference lol i was told in the end not to attend if i wasnt serious, never did go back x

Thanks for all your comments, I have these little niquitin tablets I'm sucking its like chewing a fag end up there gross :eek: i can't have patches as they make my skin itch big time, got a plastic fag I'm 'smoking' too :) ahh well I will get over it soon I'm sure, i wish i never started x

I'm preggers just now and still smoking :( I have cut right down but start the patches tomorrow. I actually love smoking but don't want to harm my baby. I feel quite emotional tonight thinking my smoking days are over.

Thanks for all your comments, I have these little niquitin tablets I'm sucking its like chewing a fag end up there gross :eek: i can't have patches as they make my skin itch big time, got a plastic fag I'm 'smoking' too :) ahh well I will get over it soon I'm sure, i wish i never started x

The old patches used to make me itch and but invisible ones are much better, can get stingy after maybe half an hour but it does calm down the longer you wear them, I can only wear them on the tops of my arms too, last summer I tried one on the side of my bum cheek/thigh not a good look being itchy there!! So just stick to my arms now

I'm preggers just now and still smoking :( I have cut right down but start the patches tomorrow. I actually love smoking but don't want to harm my baby. I feel quite emotional tonight thinking my smoking days are over.

Yes of course you should try and stop but please don't stress yourself out too much

Stress isn't good for baby either cut down and get some help from chemist with nicotine replacement

I gave up for stoptober (oct lol) 2012 and haven't smoked since. Went cold turkey.
Used lollipops for the first few days but didn't need anything after that.

Rather than stay away from smokers I Surrounded myself with my normal smoking friends as I knew that I'd have to eventually. (If that makes sense)

It's the best thing I've ever done.
And it is a hell of alot easier than I thought it would be.
I've had some real ****ty times since but I don't even think about smoking anymore or get tempted. I may have just been lucky but everyone is different I suppose.
Sam
Xx

Hi, Good luck with your ivf. I have been a non-smoker for 4 years now. Stopped cold turkey one day. My sister had a baby and i hated holding her after i had a smoke which was all the time. I smoked 20-25 a day. I have not had one puff since. I feel if i was to smoke when i would have a drink, i would be back on them full time and i dont want that. I gained a little at the start. Then joined a gym and became addicted to that, lol. The weight will come back off. Working out is easier when you can breath easier :) I wish you all the best.

Best of luck with ivf.. Also best of luck with giving up smoking :)

Can anyone give me more info on Champix please? My doctor is pushing it on me but the side effects seem fierce. How does it work exactly?

Why don't you put all the money you save into a baby equipment fund which might give you encouragement.

Also think that by the time you have the baby you will be a non smoker so you won't have to keep going outside everywhere you are and also with you as a non smoker hopefully your children won't smoke either.

It is hard.The best advice I ever had was to give up and never think you can ever have just one because you will be off again,and that is so true.

Never ever accept one off anyone just because you think you won't start again or think oh ill just have one because I'm stressed it just puts you back to square one.The cravings do go eventually and when you are a non smoker its great to think you are now not a slave to that stupid little stick that costs so much in money and health.

Perhaps we need to take a little step back here, as is often necessary when there is an emotive topic discussed. I can see the thread taking a wrong turn even though that may not have been anyone's intention.

It's worth everyone remembering that even if you haven't asked a specific opinion, by posting in a public forum you open yourself to it.
On the other side, a person's post shouldn't allow other's responses to become personal toward them and their situation.
Let's play nice Geeks and keep the thread on track x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back