Stopped smoking - anyone done it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi geeks, anyone stopped smoking?

I stopped early last year before we had ivf treatment & our ivf was successful but sadly we had a missed miscarriage at just under 10 weeks pregnant.
(miscarriage when I wasn't even a smoker grrr!!) so i started smoking again as was obviously a very stressful time for me.

Tried to stop numerous times after miscarriage but started up each time with in a few days :eek:

But I'm now pleased to say I'm an ex smoker again & i haven't given in ! Not a single puff of a fag - only down side is im nearly a stone heavier to compromise :eek:

I'm on my second round of ivf right now so wouldn't dream of lighting up whilst doing treatment or whilst pregnant etc.. just hope it all works out this time!

So those who have stopped, how long have you been stopped? How did you stop? I'm still finding it hard but keep thinking of the joy of finding out my ivf has worked after 10 years trying for a baby, only thing keeping me sane :) x

First of all good luck with the ivf I really hope it's successful for you. Secondly well done on quitting smoking! You've obviously got a lot of stress at the moment and it would be tempting to go back to it but you've come so far so keep it up :)
I packed up 17 years ago when I discovered I was pregnant with my daughter. I had a 40 a day habit and everyone smoked in those days but the thought of making my lil baby breathe in that toxic smoke spurred me on. I never went back to it and absolutely hate it now. My dad gave up after reading the Alan Carr book and now uses a plastic fag. My hubby is still secretly (!) smoking as he has absolutely no willpower and it drives me nuts! He's had patches, chewing gum and champix tablets but nothing has worked. Oh and the champix tablets gave him horrendous nightmares too (unless that was him dreaming of me killing him after he lit up hahaha)

Can anyone give me more info on Champix please? My doctor is pushing it on me but the side effects seem fierce. How does it work exactly?

Hi attitude I can say my mum and uncle were both really heavy stinky smoker for 30years plus and have both stopped smoking on champix.
They stopped 8 months ago and put all the change in a pot for my baby.
I have to say this is the only time they have both stopped for longer then 6weeks EVER!
I never ever thought my mum would be able to stop smoking!

I would say its probably better to try other methods first in case you can do it but if not go for the champix.
The go said to my mum that their haven't been reported cases of the side effects but obviously the companies have to write that to protect themselfs.

What is it specifically that your concerned about? Xxx

My sister in law quit with Champix and it was ok as far as i know abd she had tried so many times to quit previously. Think she said she had to smoke on champix for so long then stop the fags and carry on with champix for so long. It was last summer so i forget the full details lol x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I am sat here right now & I don't even feel like i need a fag tonight, weird :D must just be getting used to not having one x first couple of weeks were difficult but I'm slowly getting on with it x

Last edited:
When my mum smoked when she was pregnant, she was told not to quit as this could harm the baby more due to the stress, and just try to stick to under 10 a day. However that was 26 years ago now so might have changed. Anyway this thread is about stopping smoking not about our opinions on other peoples choices.

When my mum smoked when she was pregnant, she was told not to quit as this could harm the baby more due to the stress. However that was 26 years ago now. Anyway this thread is about stopping smoking not about our opinions on other peoples choices.

This is correct it can cause far more stress this doesn't mean don't try nicotine replacement or try and cut down!

After smoking for a few years I woke up one morning and decided I didn't want to do it anymore. I went cold turkey and didn't struggle, I think it was because I wasn't spending time with anyone who smoked, so had no temptation if that makes sense?
I must admit, I do have the odd cigarette when I'm out for a drink, but have no desire to when I'm sober!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Settle down people this is obviously an emotive subject for some, but try and stick to supporting the thread starter please.

I have a feeling this thread is going to get closed down :( so before it does, I just want to say thanks to everyone for all your well wishes with the ivf! Xx

It's do-able :) I stopped 2 years ago after I saw 10 years younger program and decided to reinvent myself.Cutting down to 3ciggies a day and playing a game with myself as how long can I last
Now I'm proud of myself and I know you can do it too
I sometimes have nightmares about smoking and when I wake up I'm so happy nothing happened. I'm very strict snd no is NO!
:hug:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I have dreams about smoking as well lol!

Well done to all of the quitters I've tried but not ready to give up yet x

Sorry Lush Lash but you are right, the time has come to close this thread, as I have deleted so many emotive and personal posts, most of which were not related to your personal circumstances.
I wish you the best of luck with your non smoking ways, good health and of course your IVF :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back