Strangest/worst interview questions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TracyS

Reaction score
So I was listening to Five Live this morning and they were having a discussion about references and it got me thinking of when I worked for other people in my previous industry and some of the interviews I had. I got asked some weird and wonderful interview questions, the daftest being :

Who would play you in a movie? : what relevance has that to the job pray tell? I said Catherine Zeta Jones coz I'd just seen a poster for Zorro on the way to the interview ( you have to bear in mind I have more resemblance to Mandy Dingle :eek: )

or

Which 5 songs represent your life to date? : am I really going to say The Pina Colada Song or Desperado??? :lol: or am I going to pick the first 5 half decent tunes that come into my head and try and make up a story to fit??

So, what's the strangest or worst interview question you've ever had??

Over to you geeks......

xx

"What did you eat for lunch?"

It turns out that the girl was severely allergic to nuts and wanted to ensure that I didn't have peanut butter breath !!!!:eek:

great thread.
I had a writen exam for university & one question said " if this is a question answer it" I wrote "if this is an answer, mark it",I got in so I must have done ok.
I have been asked at interviews "tell me a joke"," whats yor favourite film & why", & strangele " what would you call a newspaper if you set one up?"

Some interviewers ask the strangest questions which bare no resemblence to the job.

I think when they are asking these questions there is no right or wrong answer, what they are looking for is -

Lateral thought process.

How quickly you can think on your feet.

How your thought process works.

For instance, I was once asked how I would move Mount Fuji

Now you can't really move it and its not relevant to anything .. but it is a very interesting question and from your answer they have an insight into all of the above along with how much imagination you have.

So how would you move Mount Fuji lol?

Jacqui xx

I think when they are asking these questions there is no right or wrong answer, what they are looking for is -

Lateral thought process.

How quickly you can think on your feet.

How your thought process works.

For instance, I was once asked how I would move Mount Fuji

Now you can't really move it and its not relevant to anything .. but it is a very interesting question and from your answer they have an insight into all of the above along with how much imagination you have.

So how would you move Mount Fuji lol?

Jacqui xx
One shovel full at a time... Job security!

"Do you put your family before your job?"

Talk about a lose-lose.

Had an interview for a takeaway food place when I was younger. The half hour interview consisted entirely of him asking me math problems one after the other eg: the order is $9.70 and customer pays with $20 note, how much change? A valid question to see if I would be able to give the correct change, but he must have asked me about 100 different variations of this and not anything else at all. Didn't get the job.

Another takeaway food place, the owners asked me if I was one of those girls that feel the need the need to take a few days off in the middle of every month:eek: Didn't really know how to answer that one, didn't get that job either.

Our resturant manager insists on asking every interviewie to tell him a joke ! It's so cruel but also very funny ! He thinks it.puts them at ease but if someone asked me that I'd panic!

What car do you drive and how much did you pay for it :eek:

I was asked to tell something about myself. I was caught off guard, not what i expected. All could tell was that i had two brothers. Didnt get the promotion.:-(

That particular interview was full of odd questions that i had not expected. I was sure that it was designed to fail me :'-(

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Once, at an interview the man interviewing me ripped up my CV into tiny bits and just stood there looking at me.

I was so shocked and completely gutted and also a bit mortified, but I just sat there calmly and said...

"hhmmm, don't ask me why, but I have a niggling feeling that you weren't impressed with that"

Him: :"You've got the job".

He said he did that with someone else and they burst into tears and he wanted to see how I'd cope under pressure.

I was actually tempted to tell him to shove it, but I didn't and took the job... he turned out to be the worst boss ever!

Now what a surprise :rolleyes:

q:" Do you agree or disagree with Blake's opinion of children?"
a: "If I knew what his opinion was I could tell you"

Honesty was the best policy; I got in.

Most non-PC Q:
4 interviewers all facing me
q: I see you are wearing an engagement ring. When are you getting married?"
Squirms from other interviewers.
(I got the job)

Some corkers here. Another that springs to mind...

"Do you know how much it costs to make an ep of Casualty?"

It wouldn't have been so off the wall if it wasn't for the fact I was going to do programme planning for ITV and it's a bbc show! Couldn't they remember any of their own produced dramas? :eek:

q:"

Most non-PC Q:
4 interviewers all facing me
q: I see you are wearing an engagement ring. When are you getting married?"
Squirms from other interviewers.
(I got the job)

Am I just really thick coz I don't get this?? LOL!! X

Am I just really thick coz I don't get this?? LOL!! X

He was asking a personal question, (and the sub-plot was, engaged= getting married=babies= unsuitable employee), in a professional interview, and the other interviewers recognised how inappropriate he was being .

No, you're not thick; it was a long time ago, and I'm sure nobody would ask it in an interview today!

Latest posts

Back