Striping tape on Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RitzyLox

Reaction score
Iv used striping tape with shellac b4 quite successfully however came to recreating these nails last night & the shellac bled, which made for a messy result, with me starting all over again :( (it was a long night!) I put the white coat down first as didn't think that the white would cover a strong grey underneath (she wanted asphalt!) so I removed the inhibition layer off my 2 coats of cream puff & stuck my tape down, used a v fine detail brush to apply the asphalt, cured, removed the tape & was left with a mess of lines with bleeding of the asphalt underneath the tape... Could I use micropore tape instead? Or should I have done asphalt as the base with a million coats of cream puff to make it easier?? What do u girls reckon??

Help I want to get this right! X

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 282
Whenever I've tried this I remove the tape before curing, I get bleeding if I remove after.

I tried this - removed before curing and had to tidy up bleeding before I cured. Also felt I had to use thicker coat of second colour over tape which probably encouraged bleeding.
This video suggests tape, colour coat, cure, then 2nd colour coat, don't cure and remove tape.
Mat try again on myself x

I've done this design a few times. I don't use striping tape I paint the stripes with my striping brush then use my dotting tool for the heart.

Not exactly a striping tape but perhaps would work better. Sarah R has a great tutorials on these sort of things:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Empower Nail Art is so much better than using the standard tape

I prefer vinyls to striping tape, as I find it sticks better. You want to remove the tape/vinyls asap to prevent the colour bleeding. I wouldn't remove the tape after curing as you've basically cured it into the gel! I've done it with a brief flash cure and then removed the tape, the gel isn't totally set so you can gently scrape off any bits that have bled using a tiny dotting tool. I wouldn't use a tiny brush either, use the normal brush from the bottle, apply it quickly, flash cure, remove tape, cure, topcoat. The longer you take between applying the colour and flash curing/removing the tape, the more chance you have of bleeding.

For this design though, I'd personally stamp those lines, quick, no extra bulk and if you mess up you can always remove the stamp and try again. Or free hand, if you can. Tape is a faff with gel, I use it more for adding glitter and pigments than an actual layer of gel. Xx

I only cure for 10 seconds then take off and it's always been okay, maybe try that xx

Latest posts

Back