Stubborn Shellac removal - any ideas geeks?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maz101

1st place winner at Nailympia 2016
Reaction score
Today I had a client in for a repair on her shellac, 2 very tiny chips and I soaked them both off in foil wraps, with warm wheat bags over, I did the shellac 6 days before so new it was good pep, very thin base, 1 coat of decadence and one coat of Ruby Ritz then topcoat

Omg it would not shift, 30 mins with change of foil from nourishing to dsolve, 40 mins and then constant rubbing with soaked cotton wool, her nails are very healthy, not dry or scraped, she does have some very tiny ridges but nothing major, I know she uses her solar oil few times a day and looked after her nails. I refuse to press with my orange stick or scrape, I'm fussy lol, so continued soak and rubbing.

Now on her first app she had fedora from a salon, its a good salon on the shellac site apparently, I do know it and they advertise that their girls are all CND master painters, I know they use real shellac, but wow the base was thick and my lady she saw them on another client while she had hers done, soak it off and then buff the nail to remove what had not come off, my lady still has fedora on her toes which she says is very thick (could be fun removing) ticker than her fingers.

So does anyone have any ideas why this might happen. I do loads of shellac and never had this before.

Could it be remnants of the very thick base mixed with my thin ?? And it was thick.

Or could it be my base it's near the end of the bottle, tho I did a removal last might and off in 12 mins no prob and used the same base.

I am flummoxed to say the least, client was lovely as she is a trained natural nail tech and just about to do her shellac bring them back and brisa so she knows I did everything right.

Any ideas will be welcome :)

I'd say its because of your base coat being near the end. The last few removals I've done as well as my own were so hard to remove. I've put it down to my base coat which was right at the end. I've just removed another set I applied 2 weeks ago which I used a new base coat and removal was so easy.

Having said that her previous application could be partly to blame but I'd swap your base coat for a new one xx

If nothing shifted, then the problem is not the base coat. The colour and the top coat would have been affected by the remover unless the client has applied something at home that has stopped the penetration of the Remover. Other than that there is no reason why the remover would not have worked at least part of the way through the product ... an hour and 10 minutes to remove the product? That is just crazy ... she must have applied something to them.

Took about 50 mins to remove it all sorry think I worded that badly. Tho ive never taken that length of time before most has ever been 20 mins

She is a nail tech booked for shellac training so know she treats her nails well and loves shellac and there was nothing but top coat, the top coat came of, it sort of bubbled a bit and bit of colour came off but left loads still on, which was so hard to shift. I almost thought the layer off ruby ritz had gone but the decadence was still there

I have a pic that I took after 50 mins after soaking and last 5 mins f constant rubbing with dsolve and still red on there, I refuse to use a stick to rub it.

Eventually I got it off rubbing with soaking cotton wool

Last edited:
Sorry here's pic

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1366642373.329809.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1366642373.329809.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 3,392
Took about 50 mins to remove it all sorry think I worded that badly. Tho ve never taken that length of time before most has ever been 20 mins

She is a nail tech booked for shellac training and there was nothing but top coat, the top coat came of, it sort of bubbled a bit and bit of colour came off but left loads still on, which was so hard to shift. I almost thought the layer off ruby ritz had gone but the decadence was still there

I have a pic that I took after 50 mins after soaking and last 5 mins f constant rubbing with dsolve and still red on there, I refuse to use a stick to rub it.

Eventually I got it off rubbing with soaking cotton wool

And that does not seem 'fishy' to you? Sure seems fishy to me. I've certainly never come across anything like that in our salon. Well done for persevering though. I'd get a new Base Coat soon as and see if it makes a difference.

This is what it looked like for me on my last few clients. I didn't take as long as you to remove but took longer than normal and was the same on myself. The nourishing remover penetrated through the top coat and colours coats but left a coloured residue behind which I had to rub with a plastic backed pad soaked in NR for a fair bit of time. I've switched my base coat now and the first client for removal was today which was a lot easier and was off incredibly quickly.

Definitely worth trying a new base coat x

I have this occasionally and it's on the clients who have ridged or pitted nails or where their nails are dry. It just seems to weld itself into the grooves and is hard to get off.

I have one client who I had this with and her first removal was a nightmare. Took forever to get off. I retailed her solar oil and explained the benefits as she joked she's not one for commitment. I expressed how important it is and on her return, oiling just once a day (that's as much as she remembers at the moment and is at least something!) The difference in removal was amazing. She even sat open mouthed in disbelief at how easy it came off and has vowed to try and remember to use it more.

So although this lady is saying she's using her oil, whether she knows about Shellac or not, I would say she isn't. And certainly not every day anyway. Her nail, to me, looks quite dry. I'm terrible for remembering to oil my own nails but if asked I'd of course say I do :wink2:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Well she's buying solar oil from me every 2 weeks and her nail was dry but then had been in contact with remover for nearly an hour, looked fine before tho as said she does have very small ridges not deep at all bit like I have on my thumbs and I believe her when she says she hasn't put anything on them.

Geeg I'm nothing if not determind and I will do everything to make sure I don't damage the nail.

I've got a new base coat so will use that and I'm going to do my toes layer as soaked of my shellac this morning so will use the old base on one foot and new on other see if any difference.

So frustrating to not know but one thing I will def make sure have a long app for next soak and change

I had this on Saturday with a lady who has been coming to me for over a year and has never had this problem before, however she did admit to not using her solar oil and i stressed the importance of it as i always do!

Well she's buying solar oil from me every 2 weeks and her nail was dry but then had been in contact with remover for nearly an hour, looked fine before tho as said she does have very small ridges not deep at all bit like I have on my thumbs and I believe her when she says she hasn't put anything on them.

Geeg I'm nothing if not determind and I will do everything to make sure I don't damage the nail.

I've got a new base coat so will use that and I'm going to do my toes layer as soaked of my shellac this morning so will use the old base on one foot and new on other see if any difference.

So frustrating to not know but one thing I will def make sure have a long app for next soak and change

I can see by her nails that they are in great condition ... no dullness etc., I know you are a conscientious and good technician, Mazz. :hug: Many times we have to play detective ... lets see what you find out. x

I can see by her nails that they are in great condition ... no dullness etc., I know you are a conscientious and good technician, Mazz. :hug: Many times we have to play detective ... lets see what you find out. x

Thanks Geeg that means a lot. :hug:

I'm just about to paint my toenails so let's see how it goes in a week, 1 new base coat and one the old.

Latest posts

Back