Study at college or do an apprentiship?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x.x.kelly

Nailjunkie
Reaction score
hi, i would appreciate any advice, basically i will be leaving school next june and need to start applying for college now but im not sure whether to study hairdressing at college full time or apply for an apprentiship?

i was just thinking which would be better to do and which i would get more out of?

many thanks x

Apprentice trained stylists are always more sought after than college trained stylists

If it would be possible for you to go to college part time and with that start your apprentiship in that way you will learn both basics of hair styling from college and apply it practically where you are doing apprentiship.

When I was 16 I went to college to do hair, I always regretted not doing a apprenticeship. It turned out to be a waste of time as I ended up not doing hair when I left college as I couldnt get a decent job. Everyone wanted apprentice trained hairdressers. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

anne xx

Hi Kelly,
personally I'd say go with the apprenticeship, that's what I did and it was by far the most rewarding option. When I left school I was very shy and timid but because i threw myself into a busy salon I had to get on with it and it was the best thing I ever done.

I did obviously go to college too, i went one day a week, and to be honest that was enough, compared to what I'd learn within the salon it was pointless. Great for paper work!!But this is one the most hands-on career you can have so the paper work was a waste of time really. (but thats the way it is now everywhere)

When me and the other apprentice's worked with the full time college girls we all noticed the massive gap between the skill that we had picked up around the salon, just small things like common sense, being on the ball, dealing with the public not to mention the actual hairdressing tips you learn along the way. The full time college girls, to us, seemed to be very very slow at the hair and so cautious, i guess that can be a good thing, but u=in reality when you do get into a salon you need to be quick, fast, confident, not many salon's have time to fuss around you, they'll expect you to be on the ball etc.

That's just in my personal experience though, good luck to whatever you do, at the end of the day only you know which will be best for you.

Good Luck!!

Let us know which you choose! =)

thanks so much, all this advice is great and has helped me i have thought about it and have decided to choose to do an apprentiship, i think this would be the best option for me and i would gain more out of it.

many thanks again x

Latest posts

Back