Sudden allergy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxcetera

Reaction score
I'm using the NSI Builder Gel system, and this is about the 5-6th set of gel nails I've put on myself, yet to use on a client (my first client is next week).

This and the last time I put a set on, I noticed tiny tiny pin prick spots afterwards, i.e. 12-24hours after. They are centred around my cuticle, but this time a few more down the side of both index fingers!

They are itchy but not unbearabley so.

So the first time I'm thinking "oh god, please don't let me be allergic to gel, its so much easier to do on myself than acrylic".

Now its happened again.

The only thing I've done different the last 2 times that I used gel on myself is the cuticle condition oil.

I switched from NSI Nurture to Solar Oil, could it be the solar oil I'm allergic too?

Granted, I do sometimes get a little close to my cuticle with the 2nd coat of gel, as working on myself, I find it difficult to keep my finger straight, but not all the time and not every finger!?

I can see this being a process of elimination, next time don't' use the solar oil, just wondered if anyone had come across a reaction to solar oil like this?

ta muchly x

Hi, I have a client who is allergic to solar oil or any nut oil. She is fine with any other cuticle oil.

I hope its not the gel!

as you say process of illimination may help find it, but that will take time.
good luck.

I would say it is far more likely to be the gel.

Allergies don't happen suddenly but are usually associated with slow repeated overexposure to a chemical over time.

Solar Oil is made of pure light botanical oils .. The finest, lightest quality oils money can buy. I would never say never, but highly unlikely unless you had a history of allergy.

It dose sound a lot like the tiny blistery starts of a sensitivity to the enhancement product that you are using .
Are you using The solar oil dayly ? If you are and it was that I think it would have gotten a lot worse than just a few fingers at the side ,

Don't worry it dosent mean you cant do nails ever again I have this with one brand :( but other brands I have NO problem with at all!

I wasn't using the solar oil daily, although.............. this only took about a day to disappear last time, maybe once I've had a day free, I could try the solar oil again and see if that makes it flare up.

Whilst I'm hoping its not the gel, I'm not inclined to blame it on the solar oil quite yet ;)

Before nails, I was a soaper and chandler by trade, I made soaps, bath & body products, most with Essential Oils and there was occasion getting tops off etc, that EO would come into contact with my skin and I've not had a reaction to anything before, in fact, I'd say my skins as tough as old boots. (Its not the first time I've dipped both hands into 200degree hot wax, but thats another fun adventure lol).

The itchings stopped.

so.... do we think leave it to calm down, then apply solar oil daily until it confirms or eliminates the oil.

If it is the gel, wouldn't any brand of gel, cause the same reaction?
thanks x

Last edited:
I wasn't using the solar oil daily, although.............. this only took about a day to disappear last time, maybe once I've had a day free, I could try the solar oil again and see if that makes it flare up.

Whilst I'm hoping its not the gel, I'm not inclined to blame it on the solar oil quite yet ;)

Before nails, I was a soaper and chandler by trade, I made soaps, bath & body products, most with Essential Oils and there was occasion getting tops off etc, that EO would come into contact with my skin and I've not had a reaction to anything before, in fact, I'd say as a full, my skins as tough as old boots. (Its not the first time I've dipped both hands into 200degree hot wax, but thats another fun adventure lol).

The itchings stopped.

so.... do we think leave it to calm down, then apply solar oil daily until it confirms or eliminates the oil.

If it is the gel, wouldn't any brand of gel, cause the same reaction?
thanks x

Just try the Solar Oil on one finger .. it will flare up in 12 hours if you are allergic to it.

Most gels contain well known allergens .. formaldehyde, gluteraldehyde and acrylates. They are the products with the highest risk of allergy from overexposure and because they are sticky and pots leak etc .. nail techs 'get into it' when they should not.

Brisa Gels from CND are hypoallergenic an free of those known allergens. So is CND Shellac which is also free of other known allergens such as DBP. toluene and formaldehyde resin. Call it 6 free! lol

Even a hypoallergenic gel is capable of causing allergy from overexposure, but far less likely to do so.

Something similar happened to a client of mine, her skin became red and itchy around 12 hours after i'd infilled her, she'd never had a reaction before to the same product and since that one occasion she's never had any more problems, we tried to figure it out and came up with the conclusion it could have been due to some anti-biotics she was taking at the time as some types can cause irritation to the skin!

well, the spots haven't gone yet, not a good sign. They started itching again this morning when I woke up. It's mainly my index and little fingers, and I'm convinced now, its where there isn't enough gap between the gel and my finger and its had contact.

I tried the solar oil on my inner wrist, nothing happened.

No matter how much of a gap I leave around the nail bed and my finger, it just darn well expands by the time I get into the lamp.

Do you think the gel being on still is exasperating the situation.

I'd love to try CND Brisa but unfortunately until I've got the money for a conversion, I won't be able to.

Besides, I think putting gel on my own fingers is to blame lol not necessarily the gel.

Have you tried calling Sweet Squared? They may allow you to buy a trial-size Brisa kit? Worth a phone call, methinks... x

Last edited:
I didn't think you could buy their gels & acrylics unless you qualified with them?

Latest posts

Back